Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to ask others about their experience with the E-Tron and success for having the most fun and increasing their range.
I’m the enthusiastic owner of a 21’ Daytona gray BO sport back. My previous car of 10yrs was a Toyota Prius gen 3. My son has gratefully taken ownership and I’m sure it will serve him up inexpensive miles for years.
I remember marveling at how aero and efficient the Prius was and willing to suffer the badge of decidedly uncool, for cheap miles and low maintenance. It was for sure limited in performance and driving pleasure. A compromise of form and function over carving the roads and acceleration.
The E-tron on the other hand feels like a road magnet. It is so completely solid feeling with an amazing suspension that soaks up jarring divots and literally drives you through corners. The batteries low center of gravity really creates a planted feeling that’s hard to appreciate till driving hard. I find all the instant torque that happens silently when you mash the pedal a stealthy thrill. I’ve been amazed of the top end acceleration at highway speeds. I think 60 to a 100 happens in 2.5 sec. it blows my mind!!!
So like I was saying enthusiastic and having had the car for 6 months and almost 5k, (was away a month). I’ve had a really great time running the mileage and here are my results. 2.6 miles per kw/h. Which gives me a total average range of 230 miles per charge at 100%. I have not had a 220 line run to my driveway and have only relied on 120V 1.1kw/h charging at home. Fortunately my local township in Pennsylvania has installed a number of free level 2 stations that I use if planning for a longer trip.
I have driven a number of times to NYC and the Jersey shore and have been impressed by the accuracy of the GOM estimated range and ability to maintain 2.7-2.9 kw efficiency at 75 plus Mph. Unlike a typical ICE car where you generally maintain consistent throttle, I tend to find using quick intermittent throttle pulsing to bring up speed and allowing the car to coast between, works really well for efficiency.
Today I was running around town with a bunch of stop and go and numerous quick starts while using coast and regen braking as much as possible and came up with 3.2 m/kw. It’s great to know you can gain so much regen from the acceleration, and I enjoy the challenge of maximizing my braking potential. I would like to see Audi bring an update for regen levels that allow for full stop. I think it was a decision to make it feel more natural with creep but the options would be nice.
It’s exciting to think where these cars can get with some lighter batteries and infrastructure to support fast charging.
I’d love to hear from others on your experiences and technique for driving farther, faster and in style.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
You pretty much can bring the car to a full stop with regen. Just press on the brake pedal! The braking is done by regen until you get to the point where you fully press hard on the brake pedal. The paddle shifters simply shift some regen between the accelerator and brake pedals. In Tesla, all regen is in and stays in the accelerator pedal, while the brake is purely mechanical.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As mentioned above regen is on the brake pedals. No need to use paddles. If you have it in Auto mode in most cases you don't need to use brake pedals in city driving. It will do a full stop in auto mode. (as long there are cars in front).

Since you just get like 60% back from the kinetic energy when doing regen, it is better to look ahead and let the car coast.
How to use one-pedal driving on e-tron :: electrichasgoneaudi.net

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
808 Posts
I tend to find using quick intermittent throttle pulsing to bring up speed and allowing the car to coast between, works really well for efficiency.
Whether it works or not depends on your driving conditions. It does not work for me in Colorado - too many hills to climb, too much ups and downs. Just getting up the hill at a reasonable pace and then coasting down works best for me. Follow the local road conditions is likely the best way to hypermill. You can find some photos around here with high 3.5+ mi/kWh for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You pretty much can bring the car to a full stop with regen. Just press on the brake pedal! The braking is done by regen until you get to the point where you fully press hard on the brake pedal. The paddle shifters simply shift some regen between the accelerator and brake pedals. In Tesla, all regen is in and stays in the accelerator pedal, while the brake is purely mechanical.
Thanks I did realize that regen happened with the first part of braking but I have really grown to enjoy the use of paddle braking and release which doesn’t require me to shift my size 13s.
I would love to be able to apply full regen with the paddle. I will have try Auto setting since I believe I’veonly had it set to manual.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Great looking car. I have yet to make any long trips in mine. I hope to try and get mileage like you got. Gotta say I’m impressed

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Thanks I did realize that regen happened with the first part of braking but I have really grown to enjoy the use of paddle braking and release which doesn’t require me to shift my size 13s.
I would love to be able to apply full regen with the paddle. I will have try Auto setting since I believe I’veonly had it set to manual.
I have often wondered why Audi does not offer a "one pedal" option; however, if the ever do, I would NOT want it added as a setting on the Paddle Shifters. I use them much too dynamically, and would not want to accidentally come to a grinding halt in the middle of the freeway because I flicked the shifter to the wrong setting. If they ever did implement it, I would MUCH rather have them enter it as a feature setting in the MMII: maybe give you three options for the paddle shifters--"automatic", "manual", "one pedal (all regen in accelerator pedal and paddle shifters turned off)".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts