Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Just picked up a used Edition One last night. Love it!

I’m lucky enough to be near a fast charging station in Pasadena, CA, so I plugged up this morning.

Charger got stuck, but I was able to disengage it by pressing the unlock button on the key fob and the charging port door button simultaneously. Whew!

Can I turn on the car during charging? Use AC?

I have yet to connect the myAudi app since I bought it used from a BMW dealership.

Love the vehicle so far!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Welcome @ShortFinSoup!

Were you looking at any other vehicles before deciding to go with the e-tron Edition One?

If you don't mind, I'd like to know how much you paid. Curious to know what used prices are like outside of active listings.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

Next time, try lifting up vertically on the charge handle first and the press the button. Some of the heavier cables put too much strain on the latching mechanism.

And you can certainly turn on the vehicle while charging. I like to watch movies I copied to the SD card. AC should work, just use the auxiliary climate control function.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Was your car door locked when you first tried to disengage the charging nozzle? You can only remove the nozzle if the car is unlocked. This prevents someone from taking it out if you are not around.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was your car door locked when you first tried to disengage the charging nozzle? You can only remove the nozzle if the car is unlocked. This prevents someone from taking it out if you are not around.
Yes, it was unlocked. The charging station indicated there was an error and thought the cable wasn’t connected

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Yes, it was unlocked. The charging station indicated there was an error and thought the cable wasn’t connected
Yep, definitely sounds like a connection issue due to the weight. That can also sometimes prevent the charge from starting as well. Just lift up on the handle a bit, that should work.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

So, being that I bought a used E-Tron, the 240v cable is missing.

I was planning on having a nema 14-50 plug installed driveway so I could just use the charging control unit.

Should I buy a the 240v cable and have a nema 14-50 plug?

I live really close to a fast charging station, so I can do most of my charging there.

Should I post this question in the “Charging and Batteries” section?

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Thanks!

I was planning on having a nema 14-50 plug installed driveway so I could just use the charging control unit.

I live really close to a fast charging station, so I can do most of my charging there.

Even used, if you bought it from an Audi dealer, they should have made sure one was included. If not, I'd ask them for one. But you don't technically need the Audi charger. I just like to keep mine in the vehicle for the occasional trip, "just in case." Otherwise, you can use whatever you want to charge the vehicle as long as it's one of the many CCS compatible (J1772) chargers.

In either case, I'd recommend having some kind of charging option at home, as that's the most convenient (and cheaper).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got it from a BMW dealership...sad face...

He’s trying to track it down. Can I “make him” get one for me?

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I got it from a BMW dealership...sad face...

He’s trying to track it down. Can I “make him” get one for me?
Unless you got that in writing or there was something indicating it was included when you bought it, that's not super likely. But you can still push them on it from the basis that they sold you an EV without the included charger.

If that falls through, there are many alternate charger options. Amazon is a good place to start searching.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd plan on getting a charging station installed where you live and not worry that much about the OEM charger. As I see it they're only there in an emergency, which in my last 6.4k miles has never occurred. There are all sorts of EVSE charging stations near you should one be necessary.

I used to include all of my maintenance records with our trade-ins until I realized that everything got stripped from the cars before resale. Now everything like optional floor mats and whatnot get removed before the trade-in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks!

Congratulations. I would definitely get the 240v charger installed at home. Even with a quick charger it still takes 1/2 hr to charge the battery. Adding the travel time to and from that's a lot of time wasted. Quick charging is also more expensive than charging at home at night. I have a EV electric plan. My night time electic rate is 25% of the rate compare to a quick charging station.
Quick charging is also going to shorten the life span of your battery as quick charging puts a lot more strain on the battery. Since you bought the car as opposed to leasing it you probably want to prolong battery.life as much as you can.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If your's doesn't come with a charger it actually gives you a good reason to get a better one. The audi one does the job but it's very basic. I would recommend getting one with a built in timer and can optimize time to charge based on your electric rate plan. The timer function on the eTron is terrible. You have to tell it to use the timer function everytime you get out of the car. If you forget it will start charging right away. I was lucky to realize this early on. Someone from another forum ended up with 1k+ electric bill the first month because his eTron starts charging whenever it's plugged in even though he has his timer set.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts