Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-tron Prestige, Glacier White Metallic
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I had a great experience towing our kayaks over the Fourth of July weekend. I set the vehicle to “all road” mode and turned the trailer suspension function on in the settings menu. The only frustrating thing was that I had to have my son on rear hatch patrol, as you can’t disable the rear hatch sensor from engaging. As a result, it wanted to open and close the entire time I was connecting the hitch. With all that said…

What have you towed with your e-tron?

Reactions: drunkenspyder

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
So far, a trailer with 40 pieces of dry wall. The distance was pretty much short (under 5 miles) but saved me a ton load of delivery fees (rent a trailer for 6 hours, 15$, versus 159.99$ service delivery fee).
as you can’t disable the rear hatch sensor from engaging
Oh yes you can :) I am working through VCDS to get that done. There is no standard option, though, but I am 95% certain that I want it permanently disabled because it is more trouble then it is worth.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far, a trailer with 40 pieces of dry wall. The distance was pretty much short (under 5 miles) but saved me a ton load of delivery fees (rent a trailer for 6 hours, 15$, versus 159.99$ service delivery fee).

Oh yes you can :) I am working through VCDS to get that done. There is no standard option, though, but I am 95% certain that I want it permanently disabled because it is more trouble then it is worth.
I am going to test a theory this morning of turning the tow mode on to see if that disengages the function. I didn't have the tow mode engaged when I connected the hitch. I still have no idea where the "sweat spot" is to engage the feature though... 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
I just find it rather unuseful. It works when I do not need it (by accident) and when I do need it, it requires kicking multiple times for it to engage. I'd just touch the back handle and save myself the trouble. Personal choice, nothing more.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I just find it rather unuseful. It works when I do not need it (by accident) and when I do need it, it requires kicking multiple times for it to engage. I'd just touch the back handle and save myself the trouble. Personal choice, nothing more.
So I went out to test my theory... I tried to open the hatch with the function enabled and disabled. I couldn't get the hatch to open using the feature with my foot for anything. I attempted this for about 5 minutes and the hatch never opened. I even found a YouTube video of "How to operate the Handsfree operated tailgate in an Audi etron" and watched it it to ensure that I was doing it right to no avail.

So... until the next time.

Reactions: Lucken and mmmzon

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Works fine for me, but took some learning. Swipe underneath the rear on the drivers side. Be swift and determined. Almost kick it like you hate it! I use it all the time.
Your advice was much better than the YouTube video. I kicked my foot forward with purpose on both sides of the hitch and it worked every time. I will try it again with the trailer suspension setting enabled, now that I know what I am doing. ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tow my boat:

I also disabled the rear hatch kick sensor, had the same problem setting it off while hitching.
How did you go about disabling the sensor?

·
Registered
2021 e-tron
4 Posts
I used OBDeleven to perform the following:

DISABLE AUTOMATIC KICK-TO-OPEN REAR LID
  • For e-tron with foot gesture under rear bumper to open/close rear lid.
  • After tweak, automatic opening and closing rear lid is disabled
  • Might be useful if you have "nervous" sensors thet opens and closes when you dont want it to.
Adaptation
Control unit: 46 Central Module Comfort System
Name: Personalization settings vehicle
Values:
Rear lid unlocking through rear lid opening sensors:
Old value: On
New value: Off

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The same operation can be done via VCDS as well, if you happen to have it.
Right on! I was hoping for an OEM solution.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
I agree 101% - it should be accessible, but it is not. A lot of more interesting features are locked and worse part is that even Audi shop does not how to deal with them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
View attachment 2278
I had a great experience towing our kayaks over the Fourth of July weekend. I set the vehicle to “all road” mode and turned the trailer suspension function on in the settings menu. The only frustrating thing was that I had to have my son on rear hatch patrol, as you can’t disable the rear hatch sensor from engaging. As a result, it wanted to open and close the entire time I was connecting the hitch. With all that said…

What have you towed with your e-tron?
I put a bike carrier on my receiver hitch. In the process, I almost got bonked twice by the tailgate. Also, looked for a way to disable the sensor. After thinking about it, I decided to experiment. I took my key fob out of my pocket and threw it onto the front seat of my car. Low and behold, the rear hatch sensor will NOT FUNCTION! Problem Solved. Also you can not lock the doors with the key fob inside.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
Jeez reminds me of some features in certain WiFi products - must not have % in WiFi name, or else goodbye phone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts