Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, I'm torn between getting the E-Tron Sportback or waiting for either the Q4 E-Tron with an apparently better range and somewhat less luxury or the BMW I4. It's a really tough decision, especially not knowing when the Q4 or I4 will actually arrive. I've test driven the E-Tron twice and really liked it. I suspect the Q4 will also be quite nice to drive as would be the BMW I4.

Dealers in my area are currently giving about $8,000 off with $5,000 off of MSRP, $2,000 with the Costco discount and another $1,000 from Audi. My concern is getting the E-Tron now and then having buyer's remorse if the Q4 turns out to be a car with a significant increase in range and a somewhat similar ride & comfort. The smaller size of the upcoming Q4 is of no concern to me and to be honest, I can go either SUV/Crossover or sedan as in the case of the I4.

Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yes, the EV dilemma...new models with improved features on the immediate horizon every month. At some point you just have to put a stake in the ground. In my case, even with some concern about range, I decided the 2019 SUV was "good enough" and a great way to get educated. And, in fact, now that I'm more aware of lost miles in cold weather driving, I'm glad I live in a pretty temperate area. My longer term plan was that I would lease (not having a clue as to how EV's will depreciate) for 3 years or so, and then get the latest and greatest.

Regarding the Sportback, on the plus side a lot of the "first model" bugs will have been worked out, since it is just an SUV with a sloped back.....fewer growing pains. I'm sure, especially the Prestige line, it will provide greater cabin comfort than the Q4. Is the range of the Sportback of particular concern?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, JNealCox. Having had a Tesla, I'm not at all concerned about bugs in the 2021 Sportback, I had plenty of those with my MS and I'm sure the E-Tron would be better. ;)

I do like the exterior shots I've seen of the Q4 which is probably somewhat sportier, but the interior of the current E-Tron does look to be more luxurious. I wouldn't say the range of the Sportback is a particular concern, but it would be nice to get 50 more miles. Of course that's an unknown at this point and the projected #s I've seen are probably more the optimistic WLTP range and not the projected EPA range. I don't know why they even bother with the WLTP which never seems remotely accurate.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks, JNealCox. Having had a Tesla, I'm not at all concerned about bugs in the 2021 Sportback, I had plenty of those with my MS and I'm sure the E-Tron would be better. ;)

I do like the exterior shots I've seen of the Q4 which is probably somewhat sportier, but the interior of the current E-Tron does look to be more luxurious. I wouldn't say the range of the Sportback is a particular concern, but it would be nice to get 50 more miles. Of course that's an unknown at this point and the projected #s I've seen are probably more the optimistic WLTP range and not the projected EPA range. I don't know why they even bother with the WLTP which never seems remotely accurate.
I don’t believe there will be a high change in driving capability / comfort between current Etron and upcoming q4/q6.
I predict there will be 30-40 mile increase for q4 given new platform and smaller size.
price will be lower for q4 but at the cost of some comfort. However current incentives will easily match the price between the two.

also some dealers were saying q4 may not even make it toUS In 2021.
q6 Etron will launch in 2022 so very far away to decide.
Q6 body design looks same as current Etron

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Q4 Will be 2022 model in US at 99% at this time. First wi be sold in Europe and only then delivered to US. I don't expect demo units in here before the end of the year

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Q4 Will be 2022 model in US at 99% at this time. First wi be sold in Europe and only then delivered to US. I don't expect demo units in here before the end of the year
I’m reading conflicting things about release dates. Some say late in this year and others say the beginning of next year. Either way it looks like we’ll know much more about the car in the next couple of weeks since Audi is supposed to have a reveal very soon (mid-April).

The other interesting car could be the BMW I4 with an alleged 300 mile range. It’s not an SUV, but it looks like a nice looking sedan inside & out. I’m really not tied to an SUV/crossover design. I may still wind up with the E-Tron Sportback, so we’ll see.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
If you have kids the choice becomes much more obvious IMHO.

Now release date for Q4 will be 2021 but it will not be delivered to US before 2022. There is very little hope for it to change at this time

I don't know about BMW but i did not see any plans to bring it into US. Either way I'm Audi family and will stay this way

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

Now release date for Q4 will be 2021 but it will not be delivered to US before 2022. There is very little hope for it to change at this time

I don't know about BMW but i did not see any plans to bring it into US. Either way I'm Audi family and will stay this way
Right. That is a concern of mine. Because of the possible staggered release, the lease for my 2019 might run out a few months before the Q6 ETron version is available in the US, and that would certainly be a model I would be interested in looking at.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

You may be right, but I suspect those details might come in a couple of weeks along with the nailed down info on the car. My son is on his own now, so no little ones to factor in to the equation.

Regarding the BMW I4, that’s 100% coming to the U.S. In fact I suspect it will be here before the Q4.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
I owned a BMW in my life and that was pretty much enough for me. Miserable customer support, oil leaks, excessive oil consumption, etc. Granted, electric one should have few of the problem oil-wise but I just did not like the experience overall. Also, I am not a great fan of the interior design in BWM. Personal preference, call me Audi-spoiled.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right. That is a concern of mine. Because of the possible staggered release, the lease for my 2019 might run out a few months before the Q6 ETron version is available in the US, and that would certainly be a model I would be interested in looking at.
What would be the point of the current Etron once a Q6 is released? Seems like a lot of overlap.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Seems like a lot of overlap.
I suspect current eTron might be discontinued by then. There would be a massive platform / size overlap and it is hard to justify two platforms that are almost the same.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I owned a BMW in my life and that was pretty much enough for me. Miserable customer support, oil leaks, excessive oil consumption, etc. Granted, electric one should have few of the problem oil-wise but I just did not like the experience overall. Also, I am not a great fan of the interior design in BWM. Personal preference, call me Audi-spoiled.
If you take a look at the interior of the I4, you’ll see it looks nothing like any BMW I’ve ever seen.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I suspect current eTron might be discontinued by then. There would be a massive platform / size overlap and it is hard to justify two platforms that are almost the same.
If true, you just made me more concerned about the Etron Sportback. The thought of 1-2 years of ownership and then having the model discontinued doesn’t exactly engender confidence. Here I’m concerned about Jaguar going kaput and an orphaned I-Pace the result. :(

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
you’ll see it looks nothing like any BMW I’ve ever seen.
Meh, sorry, still Audi-spoiled :) I do not want to feel like I am in some odd ball Start Trek ship when driving. I just need a car with decent interior design that drives well. Anything past that is just unnecessary. Interior design is what drove me away from Tesla, MachE, and several others. They are just trying too hard to be Tesla, not something I appreciate personally.
I could live with iX3 concept interior, it was just BMW, not thing fancy. Not a BMW interior fan anyway, but there are so many brands to match all the different tastes and preferences.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yup, lots of great choices on the horizon. Exciting (and confusing) times ahead for BEVs.

One thing though that contrasts Tesla from BMW, is hardware integrity. Tesla is still learning how to build cars and it shows. That’s not really the case with the legacy auto makers like Audi, BMW, VW, Mercedes etc.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
As someone wrote in here - pick what is good enough for you, get your hands / feet / head wet in BEV and everyday use of it, and new stuff will keep on coming as long as there is market for it. I am glad I have 2019 unit, it runs well, no bugs or gremlins to speak of, and it just drives. 750 last miles I was tracking my expenses on charging (99% at home) and it was ~35$ to do 750 miles in it. No way in **** I could get anywhere close to it in any ICE, no matter how small the engine. The one thing I do regret it took me so long to switch over.

·
Registered
93 Posts
As an owner of 2019 Etron and having test driven 2021 sportsback, i recommend going for the sportsback
The range will only be an issue if you‘re frequently making 110+ miles each way trips, otherwise no
Etron sportsback is crafted using the same quality materials as Audi flagship sedan
In a sense, this is Audi’s first electric car trial and it sponsors you when you get one
Doubt it’ll be the case with Q4
I’ve driven a Q7 loaner after driving Etron for half a year - execution quality is much lower, from the way doors close onward
Not saying Q7 is bad, just does not compare to Etron on materials or luxury
Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
278 Posts
If you have an I-Pace already I would absolutely wait for the upcoming EV-platform releases.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts