Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
I'm seeing ~1500 e-trons nationwide on Autotrader, fwiw.
I‘m assuming that’s all e-trons, not just the Sportbacks that I’d interested in. The dealers in my area have many more of the regular e-trans as opposed to the Sportbacks. Many have only 1-3 with none incoming. It’s probably another reason why the deals on the non-Sportback e-trons are better.

Edit: I just did a search on Autotrader for the e-tron Sportback and it looks as if only ~400 of those 1500 are Sportbacks of all trim levels nationwide. The only way I could find to filter Sportbacks was to put the word ‘sportback’ in as a search term. Otherwise they don’t filter Sportbacks and regular e-trons as a dealer’s website would.

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
141 Posts
Oh, absolutely. I'm only pointing out that it seems the E-Tron availability has been curtailed far more than other cars. I think you'd be hard pressed to find most car models where dealers say there's absolutely nothing incoming. Given this severity, although chip shortage can certainly factor in, there seems to be something more to this than just that. They've begun Q4 production despite any chip shortages. So there's that too.
With the current incentives (at least in CA), 24 month eTron leases are LESS expensive than 36 months.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
You guys don't know how good you have it with incentives in CA. Nothing like that in the NE. 24 months much pricier.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
336 Posts
My swearing them? I agree

On a serious note ... Colorado seems to talk a lot about being EV friendly and yet it is nothing but. Taxes are calculated using the same scales as V6 gas engines, no tax incentives to speak of, no local night charge time electricity tariffs. All I get out of it is small incentives for solar panels

·
Registered
23 Posts
You guys don't know how good you have it with incentives in CA. Nothing like that in the NE. 24 months much pricier.
The incentives aren't that much different in the NE. The $16500 incentives in CA includes the $7500 pass through of the federal ev rebate and $2000 Costco. You'd be sitting closer to $14500 in incentives in the NE on a Premium lease.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The incentives aren't that much different in the NE. The $16500 incentives in CA includes the $7500 pass through of the federal ev rebate and $2000 Costco. You'd be sitting closer to $14500 in incentives in the NE on a Premium lease.
I always ask posters, when they talk about incentives, if they're including the $7,500 tax credit in the amount they're quoting. The poster I asked didn't respond. Although I've taken that credit whenever I've bought a BEV, I never include the $7,500 credit as part of the dealer 'incentives'. To me the incentives quoted should be dealer-only incentives. The $7,500 tax credit can be taken for almost any BEV on the market, so that credit is not unique to Audi or any BEV manufacturer. Also, at least in my case, I buy rather than lease.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I always ask posters, when they talk about incentives, if they're including the $7,500 tax credit in the amount they're quoting. The poster I asked didn't respond. Although I've taken that credit whenever I've bought a BEV, I never include the $7,500 credit as part of the dealer 'incentives'. To me the incentives quoted should be dealer-only incentives. The $7,500 tax credit can be taken for almost any BEV on the market, so that credit is not unique to Audi or any BEV manufacturer. Also, at least in my case, I buy rather than lease.
Just to be a bit pedantic, on a lease, the federal ev credit can not be taken by the consumer. The manufacturer may choose to pass on an equivalent amount (or more or less) incentive if they choose to. In this case, Audi offers an additional $7500 incentive when you lease as an equivalent to the federal tax credit you would get if purchasing, but it is an incentive from Audi and not the actual federal tax credit.

To break it down further, $1500 of the incentives in CA are actually from California rather than Audi, so if you're looking at backing out the federal equivalent rebate and the the California CFR rebate, you're left with the $4000 nationwide incentive, Costco where applicable, and then only about $500-1000 in local region incentive variability.

Of course, that all could change tomorrow with the new month.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
On a lease, the federal ev credit can not be taken. The manufacturer may choose to pass on an equivalent amount (or more or less) incentive if they choose to. In this case, Audi offers an additional $7500 incentive when you lease as an equivalent to the federal tax credit you would get if purchasing.
Right, but most manufacturers do seem to pass on the credit to those leasing. However for me who would be buying, it simply means I wait until next year to get the credit. I can tell you this year, when I took the credit, it was very nice to deduct $7,500 from my IRS bill.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
You'd be surprised how many manufacturers actually don't pass it all on. (BMW, for example, doesn't pass it on on most models currently)
If I was leasing and the manufacturer didn’t pass it on, I’d either buy or move on to another BEV.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Right, but most manufacturers do seem to pass on the credit to those leasing. However for me who would be buying, it simply means I wait until next year to get the credit. I can tell you this year, when I took the credit, it was very nice to deduct $7,500 from my IRS bill.
Correct. However, one nice thing about leasing (if it fits into your Big Picture) is that the $7500 comes off up front. Unless you are doing a full cash purchase, you end up effectively having to pay interest on the increased $7500 cost of the car.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Correct. However, one nice thing about leasing (if it fits into your Big Picture) is that the $7500 comes off up front. Unless you are doing a full cash purchase, you end up effectively having to pay interest on the increased $7500 cost of the car.
Yup. In my case I buy with a trade. So I get a reduced tax amount based on the difference between the purchase price & my trade.

Interestingly, and I don't know why this is, we took another test drive today and the dealer said they're 'down to a $6750 tax credit on the e-tron'. I don't know how this is possible since I don't think Audi has sold nearly enough BEVs to have already started the decline in the tax credit as Tesla did. I'm wondering if this wasn't a dealer decision or some regional directive. It's the first I've ever heard of this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yup. In my case I buy with a trade. So I get a reduced tax amount based on the difference between the purchase price & my trade.

Interestingly, and I don't know why this is, we took another test drive today and the dealer said they're 'down to a $6750 tax credit on the e-tron'. I don't know how this is possible since I don't think Audi has sold nearly enough BEVs to have already started the decline in the tax credit as Tesla did. I'm wondering if this wasn't a dealer decision or some regional directive. It's the first I've ever heard of this.
The dealer is incorrect per current government sources (and the fact that I got one over the weekend and the $7500 tax incentive was applied). He may be confusing some of the Audi PHEV models that get $6712 instead of $7500 or has some forward looking information regarding the e-tron GT I guess.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
The dealer is incorrect per current government sources (and the fact that I got one over the weekend and the $7500 tax incentive was applied). He may be confusing some of the Audi PHEV models that get $6712 instead of $7500 or has some forward looking information regarding the e-tron GT I guess.
Thanks. I suspect you're 100% correct on where his confusion comes from. Makes sense.

·
Registered
2020 e-tron Sportback First Edition
7 Posts
Yup, I'm torn between getting the E-Tron Sportback or waiting for either the Q4 E-Tron with an apparently better range and somewhat less luxury or the BMW I4. It's a really tough decision, especially not knowing when the Q4 or I4 will actually arrive. I've test driven the E-Tron twice and really liked it. I suspect the Q4 will also be quite nice to drive as would be the BMW I4.

Dealers in my area are currently giving about $8,000 off with $5,000 off of MSRP, $2,000 with the Costco discount and another $1,000 from Audi. My concern is getting the E-Tron now and then having buyer's remorse if the Q4 turns out to be a car with a significant increase in range and a somewhat similar ride & comfort. The smaller size of the upcoming Q4 is of no concern to me and to be honest, I can go either SUV/Crossover or sedan as in the case of the I4.

Decisions decisions.
Hi. I live in Tokyo and have had the e-tron Sportback “First Edition” for six months now. I love its instant and smooth acceleration, its gorgeous looks and how quiet the cabin is. It is also very well equipped. Range anxiety? For the bulk of my trips, I’ve had zero issues. On the occasional ski trip to the mountains, I’ve had to charge for 30 mins once or twice along the way. Probably the only feature I wish it had is ‘over-the-air’ software updates. There are the occasional sensor errors which I hope will be fixed over time. Currently, software upgrades require visits to Audi. The Q4 e-tron is based on the MEB platform and I am hoping it will support this feature. Overall, however, I am very happy with my purchase.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts