Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EVs are extremely efficient. In converting energy to motion, there is little energy wasted compared to ICE vehicles. They also have a comparatively minuscule amount of energy on board. A gallon of gasoline is equivalent to around 34 kWh worth of electricity. Even with the large e-tron pack, we only have about 2.5 gallons of gas to work with. Because of that, cold weather, wet roads, cabin heating, and aerodynamic drag have a lot of potential to weigh down our range numbers.

Cold weather reduces the range of ALL EVs.

There are a few factors that contribute to this:
-Battery and vehicle components need to warm up
-Resistive cabin heating by nature is instantly effective, but uses a lot of electricity
-Slick surfaces cause a loss of traction and require more energy from the motors (also true of ICE)

What you can do:
-Garage your car whenever possible. This will reduce wind chill and keep it warmer.
-Time your charging so it finishes just prior to departure. (WIFI connected EVSEs have this option)
-Use the app to precondition your car.
-Keep it plugged in at all times. Tesla says something like 'a happy EV is a plugged-in EV.' When plugged in it will use power from the grid for preconditioning, and battery temperature management after leaving the vehicle.
-Smaller wheels. Generally speaking they have better efficiency. There is a graphic floating around that confirms this for the e-tron.

Remember that efficiency will improve as you continue to drive the car. Short trips are the killer.

Also remember that you never have to visit a gas station again :p

·
Registered
286 Posts
Polyphonic reported a list of tips including: "-Keep it plugged in at all times. Tesla says something like 'a happy EV is a plugged-in EV.' When plugged in it will use power from the grid for preconditioning, and battery temperature management after leaving the vehicle. "

I know that Tesla supposedly does this in an ad hoc fashion, but does the E-tron sip power from the wall, after any charging has completed, even though no timer is set?

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question, hopefully someone who knows better can chime in.

I have noticed the car maintaining the HVAC for a while after turning it off. Maybe to cool the batteries?

The main reason to keep it plugged in is preconditioning and charging before leaving.

·
Registered
2019 Audi e-tron Launch Edition 55
91 Posts
I've been using the app for a while to pre-warm the cabin, but am not entirely sure if what I have is called the same thing (in the UK) as those in other English speaking markets. In reference to the above, in order to warm the cabin I always selected 'Comfort auxiliary air conditioning' but am not sure if this switch simply selects between internal or external/auxiliary power source? Perhaps if you don't select this option - as in the picture below - the car would still be warmed but instead using its own power.

·
Registered
15 Posts
"Time your charging so it finishes just prior to departure." I don't think this is a good idea. Just imagine that you start using your phone to watch youtube immediately after unplug the phone from charger. The phone feel warm after it recharged and youtube usage make it even warmer. This maybe bad for the battery. Just my 2 cents.

"Does the E-tron sip power from the wall, after any charging has completed, even though no timer is set?" Whoever has a Smart Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Station (JuiceBox Pro 40, etc). Can put an eye on the power consuming of the charging station when the precondition start and vehicle is not charging. If the precondition using electricity from the grid, the meter in the smart charging station should show something.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Audi hasn't given any winter tips, as far as I know. Other EV manufacturers recommend timed charging for improving winter range. If you start the car cold, it may limit regen to preserve the pack. It's better to drive with a warmed car. Charging even at the max of 9.6 kW is relatively minor compared to the tremendous draw of the motors, plus you have heating.

As for mains power for pre-conditioning, I recently heard that the e-tron may not draw from mains. If so that's a shame. All other EVs I know of draw from mains when plugged in. That's a good idea to use the EVSE to check. Just note that the heaters may draw more than the maximum AC charge rate when on full defrost-mode.

·
Registered
286 Posts
"Time your charging so it finishes just prior to departure." I don't think this is a good idea. Just imagine that you start using your phone to watch youtube immediately after unplug the phone from charger. The phone feel warm after it recharged and youtube usage make it even warmer. This maybe bad for the battery. Just my 2 cents.

"Does the E-tron sip power from the wall, after any charging has completed, even though no timer is set?" Whoever has a Smart Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Station (JuiceBox Pro 40, etc). Can put an eye on the power consuming of the charging station when the precondition start and vehicle is not charging. If the precondition using electricity from the grid, the meter in the smart charging station should show something.
If the car is in cool or cold temperatures, warming the battery is good. The batteries are most efficient around 70 deg F, both for taking up charge and releasing it. Level 2 charging is not too aggressive when it comes to heating the battery, while the HVDC chargers are much more aggressive. A couple of people have noticed reduced mileage after charging up at a HVDC charger.

While I do not have a SEVC station. In a thread on the AudiWorld etron forum, a commentator stated:

"I can confirm that the eTron will use shore power during pre-conditioning to make up energy used for pre-conditioning. My ChargePoint Flex EVSE will show a small amount of power consumed shortly after starting the cabin heating/cooling. I don't see any range loss when the vehicle is plugged in and the cabin is conditioned. "

You might want to check that forum out. This comment is from the "E-tron preheating problem" thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts