Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 GT
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Documenting the install of a cable to access the 12 volt battery from outside the vehicle. There have been many posts about this project scattered around the forum. This will allow you to maintain the 12 volt battery and also give you an access point outside the frunk which WILL NOT OPEN if you have a dead battery.

Battery Tender cable. These are just long enough, have a decent weather cap for the connector, and are close to universal (aside from NOCO). Will be keeping a NOCO adapter in the car, as that's what we use. The Battery Tender works with Shumacher and a few others. If you go with a NOCO cable, you will need the large ring version.
Audio equipment Bicycle part Auto part Font Tool

Wood Font Publication Hardwood Rectangle

NOCO adapter.
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Flooring Fashion accessory

10mm socket for the chassis Ground. I tried to connect to the battery Negative terminal, but couldn't get the clamp bolt to completely back out. Like it was kept on with a retainer. Chassis ground is preferred anyway. Routed the cable through the vent in the upper plastic shroud.

Disconnect the Negative side before you begin this project.
Motor vehicle Hood Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

13mm wrench for the battery Positive. It will screw all the way off. The ring for the Battery Tender must be bent to clear the recess in the plastic battery cover. Swing the ring around to the back so the Positive terminal cover can snap back into place.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

Used a something similar to these to hold the connector in place.
I already had some on hand but the adhesive was old and wouldn't stick to the plastic, so I replaced it with some heavy 2-sided 3M automotive tape. Zip tied tightly. Wipe the area with rubbing alcohol to ensure adhesion.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Access cover back in place.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Grille

You can just see the connector peeking out below the wiper.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle door

$20-25 and maybe half hour of time to eliminate the major headache of replacing a completely dead 12 volt battery.

The problem is documented here and in a few other threads:

·
Registered
22 GT
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have mostly NOCO 2 amp and 5 amp units. A couple of older Battery Tenders hanging around too. The 5 amp has a "repair" mode which seems to have restored a bit of life to the few flooded cell batteries I still have. I've switched to AGM for almost everything.

One important thing to keep in mind is that the Battery Tender cable in the first post comes with a 7.5 amp blade fuse. Hooking up a big battery maintainer unit to it may put you back at square one should the fuse pop since it's sitting under the frunk.

·
Registered
22 GT
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also measured voltage with Fluke multimeter and it looks good at 13.43V
Checking the voltage on a somewhat-routine basis could alleviate concerns expressed earlier in the thread about the connector failing or being too weathered over time.

After my install, I measured 13.58 volts.

Tucking it up under the hook is a good idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts