Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’ve had discussions at times about the difference in noise levels between the e-Trons with acoustic glass vs non-acoustic. I had mentioned I test drove both cars prior to buying and didn’t notice any significant difference other than being a bit more aware of a low frequency drumming in the acoustic glass car. I said the only objective way to see the actual difference was to see both cars tested with sound level meters.

So Bjorn’s data reveals the difference. One was an e-Tron 55 with acoustic glass and the other was a 50 without. Importantly, both cars had the same size, brand and model of tires and in both cases road surfaces were dry.

As you can see, depending upon the speed, the difference was only 1db or less for the acoustic version (at 2 of the 3 tested speeds)…actually the range was 0.7db up to 1.0db. But even more interesting was that the non-acoustic glass e-Tron was actually quieter by 0.9db at 100km/h. So yes, there are differences, but not quite what you might expect in all driving scenarios. Either way, objectively speaking, the differences were slight and matched my subjective feelings when test driving both.

On another note, I‘m actually surprised at how well the Q4 tested out. It was nearly as quiet as its big brother. Impressive!

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
256 Posts
Interesting observations. I wonder if the acoustic glass reduces noise from passing vehicles more than non-acoustic glass. That might be important for some people.

You're right though, the Q4 looks like a great car in terms of all of the various tests Bjorn does. The banana box test shows the Q4 can fit in more boxes than the 'fat' etron, which was a surprise. It will be good to see his dual motor test results as the ID4 GTX appears to have no discernable drop in efficiency.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You're right though, the Q4 looks like a great car in terms of all of the various tests Bjorn does. The banana box test shows the Q4 can fit in more boxes than the 'fat' etron, which was a surprise. It will be good to see his dual motor test results as the ID4 GTX appears to have no discernable drop in efficiency.
Most likely due to the greater interior space allowed by the MIB EV platform.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The one we thing we don't know and I'm doubtful it showed up in Bjorn's test relative to the Q4 vs the 'fat Audis', is road noise. Bjorn tends to drive on relatively smooth roads, unhindered by excessive potholes.

When I test drove the ID4, I was very unimpressed with the amount of road noise that penetrated the cabin. I'm not sure if Audi did a better job on that end with the Q4. I do know our original e-Trons do a fabulous job in insulating the cabin from road noise. Far better than either my I-Pace or MS did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts