Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I found myself in need of a boost of range on my way back from work so dropped into the Ionity charging station at Cobham to test out their 350kw chargers.

The e-tron topped out at 110kw charging, and using the audi charging payment service too it was dead simple and I was back on the road in no time at all 👍

·
Registered
360 Posts
Whats the maximum recharge rate on the Audi with the DC connection - I have read conflicting on this or is it different depending on the 50 or 55 version. I have heard 120 and 150 as the maximums. Obviously the AC is 11kwh max unless you went for the option of 22 (not in UK currently I believe).

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55 2020. Jaguar iPace HSE 2019.
182 Posts
Whats the maximum recharge rate on the Audi with the DC connection - I have read conflicting on this or is it different depending on the 50 or 55 version. I have heard 120 and 150 as the maximums. Obviously the AC is 11kwh max unless you went for the option of 22 (not in UK currently I believe).
I'm pretty sure that's right, ie a max of 120 or 125kW on the eTron 50, and 150kW on the eTron 55.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's right, ie a max of 120 or 125kW on the eTron 50, and 150kW on the eTron 55.
Thanks both. Another stupid question sorry.
Are you more likely to see higher recharge rates from the higher rapid machines. What I mean is would a 350 charger reach the 125 max and stay at that charge rate slightly quicker/ longer/better than using a 150 would. I know it’s not likely going to make much difference in time but just interested to know as I read on Zap-Map sometimes that people have used a 150 machine but only seeing 40-50 coming through. I also appreciate it depends on battery / vehicle conditions etc as well but would a 350 charger have provided better

sorry some dumb questions and thoughts I know but Im already planning ahead re where I’m likely to be when and what chargers are in the areas etc and for a couple of future UK holidays where I can choose to go to either one or the other.

(I’m getting a etron 50 as rarely do long trips but like to be planned out when I am LOL).

Reactions: Chrisechild

·
Registered
182 Posts
Doubt it, assuming the supply to the charger is adequate. The reality is that achieving the max charge rate requires ideal conditions (SOC and temperature especially), and will only be sustained briefly - as the pack SOC rises the rate tails off.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Doubt it, assuming the supply to the charger is adequate. The reality is that achieving the max charge rate requires ideal conditions (SOC and temperature especially), and will only be sustained briefly - as the pack SOC rises the rate tails off.
Thanks.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
256 Posts
120kW is 120kW regardless whether you're using a 150kW or 350kW or 400kW (Ionitys new machines are 400 I think) charger in the UK.

There is a minor exception. Lets say your battery is up to temperature and your SOC allows full speed you should be able to pull max charge rate. The etron will maintain this rate and pull a little bit more from the charger if auxiliary heating is switched on and if the charger is able to send more kWs. E.g. a 55 pulling 150kW from a 350kW charger will be able to squeeze 155kW if it needs to. An etron 50 pulling 120kW from a 150kW charger will be able to squeeze 125kW. These extra electrons go to the aux heater not the battery.

WRT comments on zap map about folks not getting the speeds they expect this is largely down to the colder temperatures and not the charger itself (although that can be the culprit too). Tesla Model 3s for example will sometimes send energy to the thermal management systems while also charging the battery so owners will see 30kW going to the battery not realising 14kW is going to the stators to warm the electrics and battery.

My 50 charges very well on the 50kW chargers in winter. The Ionity ones are a bit slower (edit:) than I'd like. Below 8°c ambient you're likely to see 60kW charge rate to start and it'll ramp up to around 100kW as the battery warms by which point it will throttle down to 60kW again.

If you arrive at the Ionity with a warmer battery then you'll get up to 120kW and much quicker.

The etron has a famously flat charge curve, one of the best performing EVs as I'm sure you've read up on. The conditions do need to be right though. The etron 55 may not be as sensitive as the 50 thanks to a larger battery pack and faster charge rate - speculating here.

·
Registered
182 Posts

The etron has a famously flat charge curve, one of the best performing EVs as I'm surr you've read up on. ...
True. Maybe some anecdotal concerns about pack longevity as a result, but unproven. My other car is an iPace which has a famously conservative charge curve :) getting anywhere near the max rate (104) is almost impossible. Which is a PITA if you're in a hurry.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Many thanks again both and now for the even more ridiculous follow up question then.

if conditions mean that if I went to use a 50 kwh charger that I only got 30 kWH does that mean even if the charger itself was a 100, I’d only get the 30 or would it be proportionate (ie I might get approx 60).

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
256 Posts
I'm not sure about that. Getting 30kW rate from a 50kW charger would mean you're at a high SoC OR there is an extreme at play.

At a 50kW charger the throttling kicks in at 80% and your rate starts to slow.
At a 150kW charger the throttling also kicks in at 80% and the rate starts to slow down but you'll likely maintain more than 50kW charge speed throughout the 80%s into the 90%s.
The above assumes you've been charging and you've hit the throttling stage. The 150kW has warmed your battery up nicely hence its able to keep going at the higher rate. The 50kW doesn't heat the battery as much.

If you started charging at 80% SoC at either of the chargers then its likely they'd both set off at the same or similar speeds. The car manages the rate and says 'I can't squeeze a lot of electrons in to the remaining 20%, I'm not at the right temperature to squeeze electrons in quickly so I'll take it easy'.

This is based on my observations anyway, sorry if I am inadvertently spreading misinfo, happy to be educated :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi, i think that 120kw on the e-tron 50 sounds reasonable because ive had it up to 112kw but that was in the cold, and i didnt leave it charging for long 👍

1 - 16 of 16 Posts