Audi e-tron Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
I did not lease, as I knew what this vehicle was and wasn't when I purchased it and it suits my needs. I plan on using it for at least 10 years, so I will have done WAY better on the financials than anybody who leased a 2019.
Since the dawn of time, each year there is a better, improved car to drive. I don't need "better" every year to keep up with the neighbors, the e-tron serves its purpose for me.
Joe, I get the I want to own it thing and that you want to keep it for a longer period than most. But when it comes to leasing if you actually put all that capital you spend on a car into the stock market - even on a Nasdaq tracker, you would be thousands of $ better off. I assure you. Never put capital into assets that depreciate - period. (Unless you absolutely have to!)
Here's the Nasdaq over 5 years -

When you think about this way you would never "buy" a car outright.. not one that is new .. maybe a classic Ferrari :)

So let's say that you paid $90,000 for your new Audi, and in 5 yrs the Audi will be worth at least 35% less - you can argue the % but considerably less.
If you leased your Audi and put that $90k into the stock market on a nasdaq tracker, and you did this say between 2015 and today, your $90k would be worth $172k - almost doubled.
But "Aha" you say " you have the lease cost to pay".. which is right - so let's factor in the lease cost and remove that from your investment every year.
You would have at the end of 5 yrs, $84,555 capital invested (having deducted the lease cost every year - I did this on a quote for a black edition just now).
So the depreciated Audi would be worth about $58,500 @35%, but by leasing you hand back the car, chose a new one and still have $85k in the bank.

Joe, I get the I want to own it thing and that you want to keep it for a longer period than most. But when it comes to leasing if you actually put all that capital you spend on a car into the stock market - even on a Nasdaq tracker, you would be thousands of $ better off. I assure you. Never put capital into assets that depreciate - period. (Unless you absolutely have to!)
Here's the Nasdaq over 5 years -
View attachment 1902

When you think about this way you would never "buy" a car outright.. not one that is new .. maybe a classic Ferrari :)

So let's say that you paid $90,000 for your new Audi, and in 5 yrs the Audi will be worth at least 35% less - you can argue the % but considerably less.
If you leased your Audi and put that $90k into the stock market on a nasdaq tracker, and you did this say between 2015 and today, your $90k would be worth $172k - almost doubled.
But "Aha" you say " you have the lease cost to pay".. which is right - so let's factor in the lease cost and remove that from your investment every year.
You would have at the end of 5 yrs, $84,555 capital invested (having deducted the lease cost every year - I did this on a quote for a black edition just now).
So the depreciated Audi would be worth about $58,500 @35%, but by leasing you hand back the car, chose a new one and still have $85k in the bank.
I'm happy paying ~$1k per month for 5 years, and then having 0 payments for 5-10 years. That is money I can put in the market. If I lease there is still a down payment every couple years, and I never have a vehicle without a monthly payment.
If you never want to actually own your vehicle, it works for you.

My thinking is that Audi will just replace "E Tron Quattro 55" with "E Tron Quattro Q6".....maybe the 55 is actually 5.5! Certainly, using the PPE platform, Audi can offer in the E Tron Q6 everything the 55 contains, along with significant upgrades. The last I looked, the "55" doesn't even show up anywhere on the car.

I'm happy paying ~$1k per month for 5 years, and then having 0 payments for 5-10 years. That is money I can put in the market. If I lease there is still a down payment every couple years, and I never have a vehicle without a monthly payment.
If you never want to actually own your vehicle, it works for you.
You only have to put a down payment every couple years if you choose to. There's no need to do it if you don't want to.

My thinking is that Audi will just replace "E Tron Quattro 55" with "E Tron Quattro Q6".....maybe the 55 is actually 5.5! Certainly, using the PPE platform, Audi can offer in the E Tron Q6 everything the 55 contains, along with significant upgrades. The last I looked, the "55" doesn't even show up anywhere on the car.
I can sell you a one-of-a-kind '50' Etron badge cheap, real cheap. ;)

Personally, I look at the EV platform replacement as a face lifted version. It’s easy for them to make some interior/exterior changes to make it look similar to the current version but with upgraded bits while fully working on a new look for the next gen version. Either way, those that want to new one will get it and those wanting to keep the current version will do that as well.

Which still leaves it open to being replaced by the q6 etron for the 2023 MY when they do the changeover next year.
The Q6 Etron will probably be a 2025 model arriving sometime in 2024 at which point it will replace the Etron. The Macan EV will arrive in 2023 as a 2024 model.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.