Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I just got an E-Tron GT at Califonia Irvine last month, Kemora Gray with full packages of Prestige.

Does anyone meet this issue:
3 times, when I put autohold at the traffic light, the car jumped from D to P without any notice, I'm pretty sure no one touched the gear handle or door handle, and I try to reproduce the problem but didn't find any method, it looks like random...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I just got an E-Tron GT at Califonia Irvine last month, Kemora Gray with full packages of Prestige.

Does anyone meet this issue:
3 times, when I put autohold at the traffic light, the car jumped from D to P without any notice, I'm pretty sure no one touched the gear handle or door handle, and I try to reproduce the problem but didn't find any method, it looks like random...
I came here to say the same thing! Also happened 3 times before I realized I wasn't crazy. My fiance was in the car with me the last time and she noticed it as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My issue popped up once at a light, once at a stop sign and another while entering a parking garage. Made me a little nervous because I was a sitting duck at the traffic light.
So "Happy" to find someone has the same issue >_<

Looking forward maybe some software update can solve the problem, it makes me nervous to check the dashboard if still D when autohold every time, it's awkward to be a stone duck on the street~

·
Registered
e-tron GT Quattro
166 Posts
I don't think so, as I would probably not notice. It's when I go to drive off at the lights and I'm like oh it's in park.

A separate question does anyone else have an issue where the gear selector and parking buttons unit moves slightly within the center console? I noticed yesterday when selection reverse the unit has slight movement.

·
Registered
‘22 e-tron GT
6 Posts
Huh. I think this happened to me during a recent road trip… I don’t remember the situation at all, or what I might have pressed. Seems to me happened when I was doing slow maneuvers into a parking spot… Never in my SUV.

·
Registered
e-tron GT Quattro
166 Posts
When stationary and the break is fully depressed it goes into an auto hold mode. In this state you can press the accelerator to move off without any issue usually. Occasionally for me it will move into neutral mode, so you then have to put it in gear to move off.

I think this maybe the problem others are describing. I have also the same issue on 3 to 4 times when reversing out or the drive.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Really. Hmmm. I've had my SUV since late 2019 and have always had Hold Assist turned on. That has never happened to me.

However, The SUV/Sportback uses AC induction/asynchronous electric motors (ASM), which basically allow free rolling when receiving no energy, while the GT uses Permanent Synchronous Magnet motors (PSM), which cannot be fully "turned off". In fact, when in gear, I understand that the GT will roll forward a bit, somewhat like an ICE vehicle. So, maybe the GT puts itself into neutral during active Hold Assist to keep it from fighting the brake. Maybe it occasionally forgets to reengage D when HA is released.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Serious question here: why do you even use “auto hold”? I get on a clutch where you want something like a “hill holding clutch” to keep from drifting backward … but at a stop light in an EV? What is the benefit over just using the brake?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Yes. And I live outside of Washington DC and navigate that traffic all the time. Still not understanding why you need to auto hold at a stop light … what benefit is there to just using the brake?
It's there because a lot of people have never driven a manual transmission and are really caught off-guard when they lift their foot off the brake and the car starts to roll back. Again, I have the SUV, which free-rolls very easily. Hold Assist is a feature that on some streets in SF, I had wished my manual transmission ICE had available. Fact is, though, it I have Hold Assist on my shortcuts screen because: 1) it should be disengaged if going through an automatic car wash, or similar situation; 2) having it activated makes parallel parking much more of a jerky pain. For the SUV, at least, I think parallel parking the etron on a hill is about the most difficult maneuver you have to deal with. Much trickier than in an ICE, either automatic or manual transmission.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts