Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Generally love the car. Two major issues. Key fob keeps opening trunk lid. In garage, in parking lots, etc. Turns out I can't keep the fob in my front pocket. Hit my garage door. Second issue. Climate control heater. What the heck is that noise? Sounds like a weird loud buzzing. any help?
thx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, Generally love the car. Two major issues. Key fob keeps opening trunk lid. In garage, in parking lots, etc. Turns out I can't keep the fob in my front pocket. Hit my garage door. Second issue. Climate control heater. What the heck is that noise? Sounds like a weird loud buzzing. any help?
thx
I believe that's the heat pump. Normal cars just pull waste heat from the engine. An EV has to use power to heat the car (and battery) so rather than just use resistive heating (think giant hair dryer) they use a more efficient heat pump (think A/C running in reverse). A heat pump has a compressor like an A/C (it really is an A/C running backwards) so it can be loud.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I believe that's the heat pump. Normal cars just pull waste heat from the engine. An EV has to use power to heat the car (and battery) so rather than just use resistive heating (think giant hair dryer) they use a more efficient heat pump (think A/C running in reverse). A heat pump has a compressor like an A/C (it really is an A/C running backwards) so it can be loud.
I really don't hear the heat pump, just occasionally the sound of the fans when they are running high. The E Tron's main source of cabin heating is the heat pump, but it can be supplemented by resistive heating elements.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts