Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So post app update, I've had 3 sessions where the car charged to the required percentage I set (80%), apparently stopped and I wound up with only 1 notification. This is in contrast to the myriad of notifications I and many have had prior to the update. So the app appears to be fixed, but what about the charging issue that apparently started it?

I say that because on 2 occasions, my % SoC read 79%, not 80%, and the 3rd time it was 80% as per my charging limit. So the 2 times it went to 79% gives me pause that the issue isn't really fixed, but only the app's notification are. If the charging issue was fixed, I'd think the car would show 80% every time, especially if you observe the state of charge only an hour or two after the session ended. The e-tron doesn't appear to have phantom drains like Teslas.

The issue has been the car reaches its 80% limit for the session and then for some reason it quickly reports back it's now only at 79%. That starts the charging process again until it reaches 80%. That sends out a 2nd notification. The cycle goes on and on until you've told the charger to stop. The number of notifications you receive tells you how many of these cycles occurred. Many have seen 25 or more of these notifications, meaning there were 25 or more brief charging cycles. This behavior has actually been observed during these cycles by some who were there to see it. In other words charging really does start, stop, start, stop at it cycles between 79%-80%. I haven't personally observed it since my charging takes place in the early morning hours.

My real concern is the multiple quick on & off charging cycles and the wear on relays and associated equipment involved in the starting & stopping of these sessions. Now is it possible that the entire issue has been fixed? It might be, but again to have 2 of my 3 post-update sessions show 79% in the morning, gives me pause. I stop the charger at 5am, so I don't see the cycling and can't confirm this behavior.

I'll probably wind up doing this during the day so that I can first-hand if this issue is fixed or just masked by the app fix.

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
196 Posts
Another reason to lease over owning.

Reactions: MrAndrewArnold

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, I don’t see it that way. If the problem still exists, and I’m not sure it does, it will be covered under warranty. I used to write off leases when I was working, but now that I retired, I prefer ownership.

Many pros & cons to both the leasing and ownership approach.

But I’d like to keep this thread on track and not have it devolve into a lease vs purchase thread. :)

·
Registered
951 Posts
So, are you using the Audi Timer to set up the charge with Cabin Conditioning enabled? If so, then the SOC you observed might just be due to the time you check it. When Cabin Conditioning is running, the SOC will drop about 1% as the cabin is conditioned and then the battery sips from the wall to go back up to full SOC and then repeat the cycle. I've gone out to my car when this is going on and see different light indicators depending on what the car is doing.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, are you using the Audi Timer to set up the charge with Cabin Conditioning enabled? If so, then the SOC you observed might just be due to the time you check it. When Cabin Conditioning is running, the SOC will drop about 1% as the cabin is conditioned and then the battery sips from the wall to go back up to full SOC and then repeat the cycle. I've gone out to my car when this is going on and see different light indicators depending on what the car is doing.
No, actually I've never touched the car's timer at all. I use the ChargePoint Home Flex for all timed charging. So there should be no preconditioning going on. That 1% drop must be due to something else. The only way we'll see if this 1% drop & cycling is still going on is to sit in the garage when charging just completes and the charger is still allowed to charge. Does it still actually charge & stop, charge & stop after the initial completion? I suspect it's easier for Audi to have simply made an adjustment to the app to notify once regardless of what happens after that first notification.

The harder part is getting the car to stop cycling between 79% and 80% or whatever % is set under 100%. At 100% the issue doesn't exist. My assumption on this was always that the car itself would have to have a software update to stop this. The app could have easily been taken care of by Audi in Germany as they apparently did via the app update that occurred.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2021, and have never gotten the multiple alerts. Also, If I look on the charging history for my charge point charger, it only shows one charging session each day...I am assuming if the car was cycling the way the app notifications would suggest that someone with a charge point would see multiple charging sessions each day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the 2021 Sport and I’m using a Tesla charger (plain type 2 connector in EU/UK). I’ve watched the car cycle between 79-80%. I’ve selected the function that releases the connector on completion of ac charging but this has made no difference. Still getting notifications every 5 mins when charging to 80%. Any ideas on how to stop the notifications and the charge cycling?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the 2021 Sport and I’m using a Tesla charger (plain type 2 connector in EU/UK). I’ve watched the car cycle between 79-80%. I’ve selected the function that releases the connector on completion of ac charging but this has made no difference. Still getting notifications every 5 mins when charging to 80%. Any ideas on how to stop the notifications and the charge cycling?
Are you sure you set the ac and not the dc to release?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So weird. As soon as I changed my 21 Sportback back to 'unlock on AC' the repeated notifications and cycling stopped.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yup. The option comes up when you switch the car off so you can see it’s selected whenever you use it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have not had access to version 4.2, yet. Is yours IOS or Android, ElectricRiderNJ?
However, I'm a little suspicious. There was an myAudi update in the beginning of May, and it was then reported that excessive notifications had stopped. It did not for me, and the car was as active with repeating charge cycles as ever before.

I'm now using the "Unplug – AC" option, and that seems to work for me. I have monitored both the vehicle and the myAudi app when charge limit of 80% is reached. First, I receive a black label message in the app indicating that charge session has ended. After that SoC drops to 79%.
Then, after some time, SoC is again raised to 80% and it seems that the car is trying to initiate a new charging cycle. Status in the app is now "Cable loose". Then a new black label in the app with a message indicating that the charge session has ended. After that SoC again drops to 79%, and status become "Vehicle not ready to charge".

From there on, there is no activity in the app nor in the car. By using the "Unplug – AC" option, it therefore seems to me that I can leave the cable attached overnight (and not having to get out of bed in the night to unplug it). I'm not certain, though, and I have bought a small voltage sensor, that plugs into the 12V socket, to monitor 12V charging and battery status. It reads 13V with "Ignition On", and around 14.5V with "Engine running". To me, that seems ok.

I'm looking forward to version 4.2 and hope it will arrive soon. I'm using ver. 4.1.1 for the time being.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shortly after the last app update prior to 4.2 (I did update to 4.2 manually from the App Store yesterday), I too thought the update had fixed the multiple cycles. However that didn’t last long as the 5 minute recycling began again a week or so later.

It was only when I set the MMI to unlock on AC charging, that the 5 minute cycling stopped and I received only one notification. Of course like most others with this issue the finished charge was 79% not 80%, but that’s of little consequence.

Personally, I don’t think there’s a link between setting the unlock on AC and a 12v battery issue. I think more of us by now would be seeing this problem if there was a correlation. I could be wrong, but I think ElectricRiderNJ’s experience was an unfortunate coincidence or there could be something odd in his car that would cause a 12v drain when the AC setting is set to unlock.

I‘m not sure if I’ll test 4.2 by changing the setting to lock on AC since things are going so well now. Rocking the boat at this point may not be the way I want to go right now, especially since there are no security issues charging in my garage. I may wait for more reports on 4.2.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts