Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand others are having this same problem. The question is has anyone found a solution. Intermittently I received a message on the dash that either asks me to place the key in some yet undefined place, or if the key FOB is in the car. It doesn't seem to affect anything ( the car doesn't shut off or anything ) but I do have to deal with these on-screen messages and alarm sounds. I have had the car to two different dealers who thought they may have fixed the problem but then intermittently the problem returns. Has anyone else experienced this and what is the solution?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have experienced this issue once, however, only once in 6 months of ownership. I suspected that the key signal may have been blocked with how it was oriented on my body or by keys attached to the same keyring. Additionally, I have heard that the key fob will go to sleep if it doesn't sense movement after some period of time. While that may be true, I highly doubt someone would be positioned so still as to not move the fob somewhat during the act of driving so I do not find this explanation plausible. It could also be weak batteries in the fob itself. Other possibilities include overly sensitive software in the car that thinks there's a fob missing when it is a false positive. Other than these ideas, no clue as to what is the cause of this issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand others are having this same problem. The question is has anyone found a solution. Intermittently I received a message on the dash that either asks me to place the key in some yet undefined place, or if the key FOB is in the car. It doesn't seem to affect anything ( the car doesn't shut off or anything ) but I do have to deal with these on-screen messages and alarm sounds. I have had the car to two different dealers who thought they may have fixed the problem but then intermittently the problem returns. Has anyone else experienced this and what is the solution?
Thank you for getting back so quickly. The battery question is a good one and the obvious one. So of course they were not only checked but switched out with brand new ones twice. Two dealerships had both FOBs when they worked on the car, I’m sure that must have been considered that possibilities. As for the sleep issue intriguing but like you said unlikely.
Friends as you can imagined I have been hypothetically considering many possibilities. As you can see however I am looking for anyone that has found a solution vs a suggestion. However I appreciated all the comments.

·
Super Moderator
129 Posts
Sometimes suggestions become solutions and I appreciate the obvious suggestions given, however sometimes we look further and beyond the simple fixes sometimes. The amount of times I have taken things apart and spent ages exploring options to find the answer was the most simple of things, often its just a setting im my case.

I also know from experience that even Audi base their work in the workshop on the latest notes or updates form the Audi UK technical department. Often they do have a tendency to do what they are told from the top down and not think outside the box. It really would not surprise me if they just said they had changed the battery to hold face.

I now agree that there is more than likely a bit more to it, I only have suggestions and no solutions at this stage.
When Audi or yourself does find the fix / solution please post it and update the thread as its definitely going to come up again as tases things are rarely isolated. :)

·
Super Moderator
129 Posts
Sometimes suggestions become solutions and I appreciate the obvious suggestions given, however sometimes we look further and beyond the simple fixes sometimes. The amount of times I have taken things apart and spent ages exploring options to find the answer was the most simple of things, often its just a setting in my case.

I also know from experience that even Audi base their work in the workshop on the latest notes or updates form the Audi UK technical department. Often they do have a tendency to do what they are told from the top down and not think outside the box. It really would not surprise me if they just said they had changed the battery to hold face. But lets give them the benefit of doubt.

I now agree that there is more than likely a bit more to it, Unfortunately I only have suggestions and no solutions at this stage.

When Audi or yourself does find the fix / solution please post it and update the thread, its definitely going to come up again as these things are rarely isolated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sometimes suggestions become solutions and I appreciate the obvious suggestions given, however sometimes we look further and beyond the simple fixes sometimes. The amount of times I have taken things apart and spent ages exploring options to find the answer was the most simple of things, often its just a setting im my case.

I also know from experience that even Audi base their work in the workshop on the latest notes or updates form the Audi UK technical department. Often they do have a tendency to do what they are told from the top down and not think outside the box. It really would not surprise me if they just said they had changed the battery to hold face.

I now agree that there is more than likely a bit more to it, I only have suggestions and no solutions at this stage.
When Audi or yourself does find the fix / solution please post it and update the thread as its definitely going to come up again as tases things are rarely isolated. :)
No doubt I will post the solution if I find one. I am an electrical engineer specializing in RF but unfortunately, I don't have access to the schematics to work this out on my own. Unfortunately again this is looking more and more like a design flaw as the dealerships appear to be distancing themselves from the problem. Thank you so much for your help. Perhaps your right there may be a gem in the suggestions I read. You never know.

·
Super Moderator
129 Posts
No worries I know it's probably not but as you say you never know, I also like to 100% rule things out rather tan take Audi's word.

I can t believe Audi would try and take a step back from the issue, Its under warranty and they need to fix this or the car stays with them until they do. Under no circumstances would I allow this to be left not 100% working. These are very expensive cars.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I only had this problem once (and sometimes I start the car when my key fob is in my gym bag in the back seat), but when I did have the problem, I followed the salesman's advice of holding the fob down in the console bucket near where the wireless charging pad is located. That worked for me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I only had this problem once (and sometimes I start the car when my key fob is in my gym bag in the back seat), but when I did have the problem, I followed the salesman's advice of holding the fob down in the console bucket near where the wireless charging pad is located. That worked for me.
I have had this problem since we took delivery where the key will be in my pocket next to nothing (no phone, or any other RF shield like item) and the car will beep and tell me Keyfob not found. I complained to audi and they also replaced my battery HOWEVER instead of addressing the issue it made it worse. No my key fob just DOESNT WORK. Full stop. Every 3rd time or so I go to the car, it will not unlock using the proximity door handle or with the buttons (Dead remote). When the car is unlocked and I do get in, it just sits there telling me to get the FOB.

Went back to Audi. They replaced the battery a second time. Yesterday went out to get something in car (locked). Fob dead again. I have to call them to make yet another service appointment. Lame.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have had this problem since we took delivery where the key will be in my pocket next to nothing (no phone, or any other RF shield like item) and the car will beep and tell me Keyfob not found. I complained to audi and they also replaced my battery HOWEVER instead of addressing the issue it made it worse. No my key fob just DOESNT WORK. Full stop. Every 3rd time or so I go to the car, it will not unlock using the proximity door handle or with the buttons (Dead remote). When the car is unlocked and I do get in, it just sits there telling me to get the FOB.

Went back to Audi. They replaced the battery a second time. Yesterday went out to get something in car (locked). Fob dead again. I have to call them to make yet another service appointment. Lame.

Exactly the problem I’m having and unfortunately it seems Audi even though they know about it is walking away from it. It’s either a design flaw or faulty sensors I wish someone would just step up and fix this problem. I’m still pursuing a solution but the dealerships I’m kind of ignoring me. They tell me they don’t have any loaner cars even though they’ll need the car for a while to diagnose this. I’ll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
99 Posts
LOL--not really, but maybe you don't know some people I know! Certainly that points to a sensor problem in the car. I'm flabbergasted that Audi would even try to pawn off the problem to weak batteries in the FOBs!

·
Registered
61 Posts
For what it is worth, I am going to switch to my wife's key fob to see if the issue is the fob or the sensor in the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts