Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2021 E-tron and my wife keeps the key on the passenger seat while driving. Somehow it fell from there and its definitely inside the car but we can't find it for the life of us. We know its in there because it starts with no other key anywhere near it.

While searching for it, I had a lot of weight with my knee on the front passenger seat and front passenger floor mat and the windows and sunroof opened. This means that I somehow pushed the unlock button and held it right? However I can't feel it and I don't see any visible bump on the floor.

Any ideas on where it might be or how to better locate it? Any common spots that things seem to disappear to?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had a key fob disappear once when I was washing the family vehicles and moving them around. Went to collect the keys and couldn't find the key for the one vehicle. This was remote entry fob with a separate physical key on a keyring to start the vehicle (2011 Kia). I was short on time so just went and got the spare key to move the vehicle. After looking a couple times I figured it was lost. Months later while sitting in the driver's seat I shifted positions and the doors locked. I realized the key with remote fob had somehow worked its way in the crack between the seat and back. Fished around in there and dug it out, after being lost for 9 months.

So, my advice, just keep digging around until you find it. Move the front seats up as far as they will go, and then back as far as they will go, dig in the cracks, and just look all around with a good flashlight. Check the crack of the seat (where I lost mine). Work in a well-lit area and/or have good flashlights while you search. You'll find it if diligent enough.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I had a key fob disappear once when I was washing the family vehicles and moving them around. Went to collect the keys and couldn't find the key for the one vehicle. This was remote entry fob with a separate physical key on a keyring to start the vehicle (2011 Kia). I was short on time so just went and got the spare key to move the vehicle. After looking a couple times I figured it was lost. Months later while sitting in the driver's seat I shifted positions and the doors locked. I realized the key with remote fob had somehow worked its way in the crack between the seat and back. Fished around in there and dug it out, after being lost for 9 months.

So, my advice, just keep digging around until you find it. Move the front seats up as far as they will go, and then back as far as they will go, dig in the cracks, and just look all around with a good flashlight. Check the crack of the seat (where I lost mine). Work in a well-lit area and/or have good flashlights while you search. You'll find it if diligent enough.
Maybe also tilt back the seat back as far as it will go to open up the space where the back and seat meet?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Edition One
1,172 Posts
I was able to locate mine with high power LED torch and reflections back on the casing. it took a while to go over all possible hidey holes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the seat fully reclined, I am able to put my hands through it so I check those spots. I will continue looking. If anyone thinks of spots it might have fallen into, do let me know and will check those areas carefully.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did you check between seat and the center console? That's usually a tough spot to find anything
Man I hate it when small stuff falls in between there, including my smartphone. Standing outside the vehicle, I have to move my seat all the way forward or back just to reach whatever fell in there.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Edition One
1,172 Posts
... or have small lady hands ;) I usually ask my wife to fish stuff out if anything does land there. My grubby hands do not fit into these spaces, period.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have a 2021 E-tron and my wife keeps the key on the passenger seat while driving. Somehow it fell from there and its definitely inside the car but we can't find it for the life of us. We know its in there because it starts with no other key anywhere near it.

While searching for it, I had a lot of weight with my knee on the front passenger seat and front passenger floor mat and the windows and sunroof opened. This means that I somehow pushed the unlock button and held it right? However I can't feel it and I don't see any visible bump on the floor.

Any ideas on where it might be or how to better locate it? Any common spots that things seem to disappear to?
We have had the same thing happened to us with our 2021 E-tron. We can’t find the key anywhere, but it is in the car because the car drives and we were only given one key fob when we purchased the car. Did you ever find your key?

·
Registered
17 Posts
In some cars there is a small space under the rails for the seats, between the rails and the floor.
If you are unlucky a small object can slide between center console and seat to end up under the rail.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Edition One
1,172 Posts
I vividly recall upside down on the back seat with the head under the driver seat and looking for my key fob. It must have made for a funny picture for sure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In some cars there is a small space under the rails for the seats, between the rails and the floor.
If you are unlucky a small object can slide between center console and seat to end up under the rail.
That's exactly what happened to me, I dropped the key between the console and drivers seat. There's a small space under the seat rail and I couldn't see the key...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts