Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
I’ve had the Etron in Seattle for a year now running pretty much without any issues. I charge at home with a 220v/50a using Audis own charger and consistently see 8.8kwh charging with the charger set at 100%.

Recently (as of this month) I noticed that the car is now charging at 5.9kWh at 100% (and 3.0 kWh at 50%) and subsequently taking more time. Nothing has changed in my setup, I just started noticing the longer charge times and then looked at the numbers.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
There could be three points of failure:
1. car
2. charger
3. outlet

the easiest to check might be the car - take it to one of the public L2 locations and see that it charges at the speed specified

also, unplug and re-plug your charger, if you haven’t done so already

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So weirdly enough everything is back to normal, now it’s charging at 8.8kwh at home like nothing happened.

Before today I checked public chargers and they charged at the rate specified no issues but then I came back home and charged and it was still at 5.9kwh.

Today when I put in the charger it was back at 8.8kwh. Not entirely sure what’s happening

·
Registered
7 Posts
So weirdly enough everything is back to normal, now it’s charging at 8.8kwh at home like nothing happened.

Before today I checked public chargers and they charged at the rate specified no issues but then I came back home and charged and it was still at 5.9kwh.

Today when I put in the charger it was back at 8.8kwh. Not entirely sure what’s happening
I just purchased my 2021 e-tron a couple of weeks and have only charged 3 times at home on a dedicated 50amp circuit on 14-50 plug. This should provide 9.8kw to the vehicle. Have only achieved 6.0 kw charging performance on either the Audi or Grizzle else (have both) resulting in longer charge times. Dealer exploring explanation but appears no answers and I cannot see any other owner experience on the web.

Feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I just purchased my 2021 e-tron a couple of weeks and have only charged 3 times at home on a dedicated 50amp circuit on 14-50 plug. This should provide 9.8kw to the vehicle. Have only achieved 6.0 kw charging performance on either the Audi or Grizzle else (have both) resulting in longer charge times. Dealer exploring explanation but appears no answers and I cannot see any other owner experience on the web.

Feedback would be appreciated.
Is it possible that something is wrong with your 50A circuit, so that it cannot deliver at the fully rated rate? If you charge at the dealer or at a public L2 station, do you still have the problem?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is it possible that something is wrong with your 50A circuit, so that it cannot deliver at the fully rated rate? If you charge at the dealer or at a public L2 station, do you still have the problem?
Yes - that is a possibility and I have arranged for the electrician that did the install to verify. Will update with results . If the 50 amp breaker is only supplying 25 amp if could account for the 6.0 ke the e-tron is receiving.
As an aside I did connect to the charger at the Audi dealer but was only getting 2.8 kw but admit I should have confirmed if it was connected to a 120 or 240V.

·
Registered
951 Posts
If you are using the Audi provided charger, make sure it is set to deliver 100% of charge. It has the option to deliver either 50% or 100%. The charger with my 2019 model has a dual purpose Power button. Quick press is On/Off, long press (3 sec I think) is 100%/50%. If it is on 50%, of course, it will deliver only 50% of the charge. This was done to allow people to use the charger on Washer/Dryer circuits which are typically more like 32A max.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The breaker does not supply any power, it simply senses how much amperage is flowing through it and interrupts anything over its rating. You could hook the vehicle up to a 100 amp breaker and it wouldn't draw any more power. Likewise you could hook it up to a 20 amp breaker and it wouldn't "throttle down" the power delivery, it would trip. The issue here likely has to do with the e-tron communicating with the charger and the two of them deciding it's going to charge at 6 kw. I would work with your dealer on a TSB.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The breaker does not supply any power, it simply senses how much amperage is flowing through it and interrupts anything over its rating. You could hook the vehicle up to a 100 amp breaker and it wouldn't draw any more power. Likewise you could hook it up to a 20 amp breaker and it wouldn't "throttle down" the power delivery, it would trip. The issue here likely has to do with the e-tron communicating with the charger and the two of them deciding it's going to charge at 6 kw. I would work with your dealer on a TSB.

Very constructive comments from Joe and J Neal.

To clarify both the Audi and Grizzl-e EVSE are set to deliver 40amp but it is the vehicle that controls (constraints) the level of charge it will receive.

The "charging performance" of 6.0 kw is from the myAudi app and while it does charge the vehicle it is a lot slower than expected and results in the car not being charged to the 80% setting at the expected time of departure. It is likely the timer software is calculating when to start charging based on the differential between the current charge level and 80% based on the expected charging performance level. In discussions with Dealer Service Techs they tend to point the problem to either the EVSE or the home electrical system. I've ruled out both EVSEs and will confirm the home system is supplying 240V and Joe's comment on amperage is bang on. The Electrician will likely confirm the home electrical system is ok which points it back to the vehicle not accepting greater than 6.0kw (assuming the myAudi app is correct).

What I would like to know is what other 2021(or earlier) e-tron owners are showing as their charging performance using a level 2 charger at 40 amp. If everyone is getting 6.0kw rather than 9.6kw (which I would expect) then Audi is being very conservative on their battery management system. Otherwise I am back at a specific vehicle issue with my Dealer.

Many thanks to all for your input.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yep, the car should be detecting L2 (240v) and saying "I want to pull 40 amps." Now, if you're getting 6kw, that comes out to either:
1) The circuit from your panel being 150v (HIGHLY unlikely, nearing impossible in North America).
2) Your panel is feeding 240v and the car is, for some odd reason, pulling 25 amps. I could see maybe if you were racing it at the edges of its limits and then quickly plugging it into L2, it might be working to cool things off before running the onboard charger at full capacity, but if you were doing this you'd likely have thought of it as the culprit :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would try to find a well-known L2 charger (either neighbor or some charging network) and charge from it
If your charging rate there matches your expectations, then at least your Audi has no issues

If it is the case, I’d try to find a well known 14-50 outlet. This would allow you to verify that your Audi supplied charger is okay

If so, then call your electrician:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would try to find a well-known L2 charger (either neighbor or some charging network) and charge from it
If your charging rate there matches your expectations, then at least your Audi has no issues

If it is the case, I’d try to find a well known 14-50 outlet. This would allow you to verify that your Audi supplied charger is okay

If so, then call your electrician:)
Many thanks to all for your helpful input.

To bring closure to this issue my Electrician was here today to verify the electrical system and found 250 volts phase to phase and 125 volts phase to neutral. Also checked the amperage draw at the panel while the Audi EVSE was connected to the E-tron while charging and found readings of 26 and 27 amps per phase. However 40 amps are available from the 50 amp breaker. Bottom line - the e-tron is limiting the amperage available resulting in slower charging. Note that the Grizzl-e EVSE is also set at 40 amp and has the same result.

Is this a deal breaker - absolutely not !

I love the car and you would have to rip it out of my dead hands.

It's probably the battery management software in the e-tron that Audi may want to address assuming they feel it safe to increase amperage on L2 charging.

Am going to share this info with my Dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, it sounds like you have a defective module in battery management.
Just a quick update - Dealer is discussing with Audi for recommendation and wii advise.

BTW just went to a Electrify Canada L3 location and charged at a continuous 142-150kw and charged from 20 to 80 % in 25 minutes - impressive!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just a quick update - Dealer is discussing with Audi for recommendation and wii advise.

BTW just went to a Electrify Canada L3 location and charged at a continuous 142-150kw and charged from 20 to 80 % in 25 minutes - impressive!
Just a quick update for those who provided input (much appreciated) and info for others that may have (or may) experience this issue.

A recent service appointment resolved all the problems I was experiencing (primarily slow L2 charging at 6.0Kw to now achieving 8.9 to 9.0 kW) which vastly improves overall charging time and likely has improved the calculated charging start time to meet the required departure time. As a side note when I charged the vehicle in anticipation fo the drive to the Dealer the cable would not dis-engage form the vehicle. Nothing like being handcuffed at home! Fortunately it released on it's own a few minutes later and may have been related to the main fault as everything is working well now.

Technician replaced the high-voltage charger module which unfortunately had to shipped in which took a week but a loaner was provided by the Dealer.

Needless to say - a very happy e-tron owner !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts