Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.
Playing around with the UK Configurator to spec up an Edition 1 40 which gives me my preferred options with the Comfort and Sound and Function Packs with a price coming in at £52,805 on the road.
However have noticed a number of “Launch Edition” trims on the Audi Approved Used site at around £47,000 which might be an attractive option, particularly if it saves on waiting times. The spec appears very similar to what I am looking for though interestingly no mention of the C&S pack but they do have the Sonos audio. So not sure if they have the reversing camera which is important to me.
So just wondering if anybody has experience of the differences, if any between the two trims?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I may be wrong but i think the launch edition cars in the UK are mainly what Audi shipped to dealers as demonstrators. Personally i thought the demo car we looked at had a bit of an odd spec, and i prefiared the edition 1 due to the black window surrpounds and the grill etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, that makes sense as it doesn’t appear that you could buy a “Launch Edition” as a new car. I suppose a risk then that they've been raked round the place by the press and over eager drivers!

Edition 1 seems to be the sweet spot to buy with the C&S and Function packs. I am warming to the idea.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just thought I would reply here with info I received from Audi UK Q4 configurator and more importantly, from my local Audi dealer after a 25 minute test drive in a Q4 40 Launch Edition.

This applies to UK spec Q4 E-Trons
  1. S Line and lower spec Q4s have the standard steering wheel WITHOUT the regen paddles. If you want regen paddles (and trust me you do), you need to specify the flat top multi function steering wheel with regen paddles at £285.
  2. If you want reverse cameras you need to specify the Comfort & Sound Pack (C+S).
  3. If you want the HUD you need to specify the Tech Pack.
  4. Launch Edition Q4 E-Trons are a special edition that tends to be a mix and match of all the different tech and cannot be customised. It is a mix of S Line with some parts from Comfort and Sound with the Tech Pack (Dealers words).
For example Launch Edition I test drove today had the HUD and updated Sound but NO reversing camera. The Launch Edition is also the E-Tron 40 only. After driving the Q4 40 edition I am absolutely convinced it is simply not powerful enough. I have an E-Tron 50 currently and it is hardly a high performance sporty car but with 6.5ish seconds it does at least push you into your seat. The 8.4ish seconds for the Q4 40 felt positively sedate in comparison and I was hoping it wouldn't so I could save some money.

So after looking at the S Line with my preferred options it was only marginally cheaper than the Q4 Edition 1 trim. The problem is I wanted Typhoon Grey but the Edition 1 is limited to Glacier White, Mythos Black, Navarro Blue or battleship grey... er I mean Pebble Grey.;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just thought I would reply here with info I received from Audi UK Q4 configurator and more importantly, from my local Audi dealer after a 25 minute test drive in a Q4 40 Launch Edition.

This applies to UK spec Q4 E-Trons
  1. S Line and lower spec Q4s have the standard steering wheel WITHOUT the regen paddles. If you want regen paddles (and trust me you do), you need to specify the flat top multi function steering wheel with regen paddles at £285.
  2. If you want reverse cameras you need to specify the Comfort & Sound Pack (C+S).
  3. If you want the HUD you need to specify the Tech Pack.
  4. Launch Edition Q4 E-Trons are a special edition that tends to be a mix and match of all the different tech and cannot be customised. It is a mix of S Line with some parts from Comfort and Sound with the Tech Pack (Dealers words).
For example Launch Edition I test drove today had the HUD and updated Sound but NO reversing camera. The Launch Edition is also the E-Tron 40 only. After driving the Q4 40 edition I am absolutely convinced it is simply not powerful enough. I have an E-Tron 50 currently and it is hardly a high performance sporty car but with 6.5ish seconds it does at least push you into your seat. The 8.4ish seconds for the Q4 40 felt positively sedate in comparison and I was hoping it wouldn't so I could save some money.

So after looking at the S Line with my preferred options it was only marginally cheaper than the Q4 Edition 1 trim. The problem is I wanted Typhoon Grey but the Edition 1 is limited to Glacier White, Mythos Black, Navarro Blue or battleship grey... er I mean Pebble Grey.;)

That’s very helpful and clears up my confusion. Interesting also your comment re the power, or lack of, in the 40.

It is unfortunate that Audi do not allow more flexibility in picking options as it looks like I’ll have to spec a few packs with bits I don’t really need/want🙁. Might just blow the budget and go for a 50 Vorsprung🤣.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Regarding the power it really depends on what you are coming from. My wife has a 1.6 diesel Q2 and found the power of the Q4 40 to be "very nice". If I were coming from my previous BMW X1 2.0D I would have felt the Q4 was OK and been happy. Unfortunately coming from a car that does 0-60 in 6.5s the loss is quite noticeable and even 6.5s is already deemed "slow" by most EVers.

It's the old "you don't know what you have until you lose it".

If I had a budget (and who doesn't) I would get a Q4 50 Quattro with less tech rather than a Q4 40 with more tech. A Q4 50 Quattro Sport with C+S (for the reverse camera) will not look as nice as a Q4 40 Vorsprung but it will be far more fun to drive.

Each to their own though. Either way you will be getting a great car and your health to enjoy, as they say.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I found it to be perfectly quiet and refined but my E-Tron 50 does not have the accoustic glass. The full fat E-Tron has better materials in some areas but the Q4 certainly felt premium and was better than the ID.4 I also tried a few weeks ago. The Q4 obvioulsy felt lighter on the controls and was more nimble to drive, it made my E-Tron feel like the fit for cruising only car that it is. :)

What surprised me was how big the Q4 was inside compared to outside. It is barely smaller in the cabin that the full fat E-Tron but a fair bit smaller on the outside.

I also loved the fact that the Q4 I drove was showing 248 miles on the range at 95% battery on a rainy wet and mild day.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Regarding the power it really depends on what you are coming from. My wife has a 1.6 diesel Q2 and found the power of the Q4 40 to be "very nice". If I were coming from my previous BMW X1 2.0D I would have felt the Q4 was OK and been happy. Unfortunately coming from a car that does 0-60 in 6.5s the loss is quite noticeable and even 6.5s is already deemed "slow" by most EVers.

It's the old "you don't know what you have until you lose it".

If I had a budget (and who doesn't) I would get a Q4 50 Quattro with less tech rather than a Q4 40 with more tech. A Q4 50 Quattro Sport with C+S (for the reverse camera) will not look as nice as a Q4 40 Vorsprung but it will be far more fun to drive.

Each to their own though. Either way you will be getting a great car and your health to enjoy, as they say.
Thanks for that update on driving experience. Think I should be ok with a 40 then as I would be coming from a Q3 35 manual with a 0-60 in 9.5ish. Must have another look at the various Pack options.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I found it to be perfectly quiet and refined but my E-Tron 50 does not have the accoustic glass. The full fat E-Tron has better materials in some areas but the Q4 certainly felt premium and was better than the ID.4 I also tried a few weeks ago. The Q4 obvioulsy felt lighter on the controls and was more nimble to drive, it made my E-Tron feel like the fit for cruising only car that it is. :)

What surprised me was how big the Q4 was inside compared to outside. It is barely smaller in the cabin that the full fat E-Tron but a fair bit smaller on the outside.

I also loved the fact that the Q4 I drove was showing 248 miles on the range at 95% battery on a rainy wet and mild day.
Awsome, thanks for the review. Usuful comparison to the full fat model.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well today has proved to be very interesting, as we have two" irons in the fire".

A new build "cancelled" order, Mythos Black S-Line 40 Sportback with Comfort & Sound and Tech Pack, with a couple of missing items, Matrix LEDs & Flat top and bottom steering wheel. No build/delivery updates.

Today, we went to see and drive our Option 2.

A stock Launch Edition Mythos Black. The Launch Edition has an odd spec and the Invoice quotes "Special Editions, Edition 1 with Factory fitted Options £0. So what appears to be included in the "basic" price is: LED Matrix, Paint, HUD, Augmented Reality, Sonos Sound, Phone Box. No reversing camera or Black Pack (shame), however, I didn't get to check out if the front parking sensors worked.

So, we will be cancelling our build order, then take delivery of Option2, the stock pre registered car at the end of December.

Whoever, takes over/picks up our build order will get £1000 deposit contribution from Audi, so it's a good car but our patience is waining.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts