Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
They told me several updates related to charging, and this also included them reflashing the audi charger.

Excellent suggestion to have them reset the car to factory settings and see what happens. The good news is the service guy seen the car today as when I got to the dealership it was still @ 98% charge, but the range ETA was showing 123miles. So he could clearly see something was wrong as almost 100% charge, but range ~120 miles.

I had a look at the lemon law buy back and thankfully if this can't be resolved then it looks like I maybe able to invoke this and force them to take the car back from me. I hope this is something that can be fixed as I really like the car.
Thats good that they have seen the range and charge, I hope you get a result as they are amazing cars.
In my book I would want to see the car showing an acceptable range on the dash or MMI.

Surly they can re set the car to new and my thinking says that the car should show the range it did when you first collected it.. This may obviously not be possible and I may be looking at this in a far to simply way! How nice would it be though if they just said "Ok we have reset the car and now its showing 2XX miles" I also assume thats what they would want too.

I struggle to accept that they could say "Ok so we have reset the car and it's showing 140 MIles, must be the way you drive!" Bye.

Or "we can't reset the car and we can't find a problem, must be the way you drive" enjoy your 140 mile range £80,000 car!

·
Registered
35 Posts
The battery is set to 100% and I have been generally getting 170-190 miles from a full charge. The car was in for the recall and firmware updates round 4wks ago, and I am thinking that since I got back, this is when I seem to remember the range dropping. I just noticed it was really bad yesterday as I had a full charge and drove the car 60 miles and it was telling me I only 70 mile range left and I was wondering if I was going to have enough charge to get back home. I put the car onto level II charging and 100% charged this morning and it is only showing 139 mile range. I managed to get it booked into the dealership and the service agent said this is the 2nd e-tron he has seen in a week with only 120 mile range and the other owner was getting around 190 before it suddenly dropped.

They have kept the car and given me a loaner... I will see what happens. But I can't live with a car with 120 - 140 mile range. This can't be reasonable. View attachment 404 View attachment 405
I can see from the picture (charging slider limit) that you don’t have the latest software which has an yellow/orange marker at 80% which says normal use or similar. Search back through my recent posts and I uploaded a picture of the same screen with the new update. Perhaps that will help with the range.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I thought it may be interesting to see each owners range when charged to 100%.
Obviously you don't need to participate!

Few points might make it more interesting too: So using the following, feel free to add any other useful stats.

1: Car delivery date: 1st April 2020
2: Model: 2020 (UK 20 Plate)
3: Range on collection day: 255 (Miles)
4: Current mileage 2746 (Miles)
5: Current 100% charge: 230 -231 (Miles)
6: Drive mode: Range mode activated.

(Range mode turned off - Range 228 (Miles)

Scree shots attached, not that we don't trust each other!

View attachment 390 View attachment 391
E-tron delivery July 5, 2019
Current Km 13500 km
Current 100% charge 423km

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can see from the picture (charging slider limit) that you don’t have the latest software which has an yellow/orange marker at 80% which says normal use or similar. Search back through my recent posts and I uploaded a picture of the same screen with the new update. Perhaps that will help with the range.
This is good to know as Audi have now had the car for 2 days and they still dont know what it wrong and they mentioned all the software is updated. I will ask them to check again the software. Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is good to know as Audi have now had the car for 2 days and they still dont know what it wrong and they mentioned all the software is updated. I will ask them to check again the software. Thanks.
Curious; do you remember what your Wh/mi shows?
thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
I only took a screen shot of the short term. I am not sure what the long term was showing. The previous day I had done around 120 mile trip and most of the time it was highway driving around 65 mph and I had 10mile range when I get home from a 100% charge.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The 3.8 Km/kWh can be changed to kWh/mi which is the average power consumption of the vehicle during the current trip. Go to settings>General>measurements units at bottom select kWh/100mi.
Dividing the kWh/mi into 83000 (battery capacity at full SoC) should give you the appropriate range.
Something noticed is the car has very high consumption for the first few miles of a trip. Generally high 900’s for the first few miles, then tapers down into high 300’s after about 5 miles, driving between 40-55 mph. Can see if making a lot of very short trips may reduce the range significantly. Lead footing an EV will result in very short range as well.
so what is both your long & short term Wh/mi?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi-de-hi, I would have to side with etronukowner’s experiences. We bought our e-tron January 2020, brand new, standard wheels, Premium with Prestige package. It’s had 2 extended stays (10+ days) at the dealers, one for a charging issue, one for a failed gateway module that allows app to contact the vehicle. Each time it also got 1 or 2 software updates. Since April it’s been plain sailing.

My protocols are as follows:
Charge to 80%, every 10th charge go to 100%
At 80% I consistently get 205 - 215 miles of range, at 100% 260 - 270.
Use Efficiency and Range mode 100%
Drive Assist (active cruise) 99.9%
Manual regen using paddles when braking
Coast when approaching stopped traffic, red traffic lights, or even tap the brakes and modulate slowing using paddles
Drive conservatively to enjoy the luxury and comfort of the hewn from granite e-tron
Never more then 5mph over posted speed limits
During winter and spring pop the sunroof or a window for ventilation
During humid summer (SE Virginia) use ECO A/C around 70 degrees
With A/C on range drops by 20+ miles initially, recovers somewhat as you drive and when A/C is turned off range gets a mileage bump to reclaim most of the initial lost 20 miles
A/C use includes Stationary Climate Control when nipping into a store for around 10 minutes max.

I keep a journal on my iPhone for each charging event showing actual miles traveled, range miles used, range at charge start and finish, target charge %age.

The more you drive the vehicle the more you’ll discover what it can do and you can improve range. If you’re going to drive it like an F1 car expect F1 range.

This is our second EV, we still have our 2014 BMW i3 REX that we bought early 2017. We LOVE our EVs. We still have an ICE vehicle (2018 Mercedes E-Class station wagon) for longer trips and hauling stuff from Lowe’s/Home Depot or moving house(!) but it mostly sits in the garage and gets taken out every two weeks.

One of the greatest benefits of owning an EV, no more trips to the gas station and having to deal with the nitwits that can’t follow directional arrows or who disappear into the convenience store never to be seen again. As we would say in Blighty, only fools and horses.

See you on the road, license plate: E-TRON1C.

Cheers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hi-de-hi, I would have to side with etronukowner’s experiences. We bought our e-tron January 2020, brand new, standard wheels, Premium with Prestige package. It’s had 2 extended stays (10+ days) at the dealers, one for a charging issue, one for a failed gateway module that allows app to contact the vehicle. Each time it also got 1 or 2 software updates. Since April it’s been plain sailing.

My protocols are as follows:
Charge to 80%, every 10th charge go to 100%
At 80% I consistently get 205 - 215 miles of range, at 100% 260 - 270.
Use Efficiency and Range mode 100%
Drive Assist (active cruise) 99.9%
Manual regen using paddles when braking
Coast when approaching stopped traffic, red traffic lights, or even tap the brakes and modulate slowing using paddles
Drive conservatively to enjoy the luxury and comfort of the hewn from granite e-tron
Never more then 5mph over posted speed limits
During winter and spring pop the sunroof or a window for ventilation
During humid summer (SE Virginia) use ECO A/C around 70 degrees
With A/C on range drops by 20+ miles initially, recovers somewhat as you drive and when A/C is turned off range gets a mileage bump to reclaim most of the initial lost 20 miles
A/C use includes Stationary Climate Control when nipping into a store for around 10 minutes max.

I keep a journal on my iPhone for each charging event showing actual miles traveled, range miles used, range at charge start and finish, target charge %age.

The more you drive the vehicle the more you’ll discover what it can do and you can improve range. If you’re going to drive it like an F1 car expect F1 range.

This is our second EV, we still have our 2014 BMW i3 REX that we bought early 2017. We LOVE our EVs. We still have an ICE vehicle (2018 Mercedes E-Class station wagon) for longer trips and hauling stuff from Lowe’s/Home Depot or moving house(!) but it mostly sits in the garage and gets taken out every two weeks.

One of the greatest benefits of owning an EV, no more trips to the gas station and having to deal with the nitwits that can’t follow directional arrows or who disappear into the convenience store never to be seen again. As we would say in Blighty, only fools and horses.

See you on the road, license plate: E-TRON1C.

Cheers.
What an excellent summary! I drive exactly the same as you and I mean exactly the same. Thats how I like to enjoy the car, I find it a fun challenge to play with getting the max range up, I get a bit excited when its time to out it on for a full charge to see what I might get! Obviously if I have been a bit heavy footed and had the AC on all the time I get punished, then I just work the range back up over a few 80% charges and finally a full 100% charge at its back at 240+

As per my above post,. these cars just need a bot of TLC and some homework to play nicely. When you treat it right it rewards you..😁😁😁

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cheers guv'nor, appreciate your feedback.

Have just finished charging our e-tron overnight and have a new range high for an 80% charge, 227 miles!

For some reason, of late, even though the target charge is set to 80% the car sometimes goes to 81% charging.

And to show I'm not telling porkies here's a picture of the dashboard this morning (3 August 2020):

One thing I didn't mention in my original summary, the air suspension system. On our E-Class wagon we have the Air Body Control option which is Mercedes air suspension system complete with self-levelling for heavy loads. The e-tron's air suspension system knocks the Mercedes system into a cocked hat. The Benz system does not react well to potholes giving the vehicle a thump when you hit one. The Audi just glides over them with barely a ripple. It's not Citroen DS or GSA class but it's very close.

Have a good one.

Animal Lives Matter!.....

...and Keep Calm And Mask On.

That's my messages for the week!

·
Registered
14 Posts
The 3.8 Km/kWh can be changed to kWh/mi which is the average power consumption of the vehicle during the current trip. Go to settings>General>measurements units at bottom select kWh/100mi.
Dividing the kWh/mi into 83000 (battery capacity at full SoC) should give you the appropriate range.
Something noticed is the car has very high consumption for the first few miles of a trip. Generally high 900’s for the first few miles, then tapers down into high 300’s after about 5 miles, driving between 40-55 mph. Can see if making a lot of very short trips may reduce the range significantly. Lead footing an EV will result in very short range as well.
so what is both your long & short term Wh/mi?
Day 10 and Audi dealership still have my eTron. They have been cycling the battery for 9 days and they have managed to get it to 155 mile ETA on a full charge. I talked to the service and sales manager tonight and they are going to kick off a battery replacement claim against Audi as they can't do more to fix and think either it needs a new battery or Audi need to replace my car or buy the car back off me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
That’s a result.
So what’s it to be?
I am guessing new car would be your choice? Not sure though they may replace the battery. It’s an easy job.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I talked to service manager this morning and finally some good news, they have found a new issue never reported before with the battery resistance levels and this is causing charging issues. They have opened a technical case with Audi corporate and they hope to have an answer for Monday on next steps.

I have the choice then I will trade the car for a Q8! I like the eTron but this has been the worst car for reliability for me in 32yrs of driving and I have owned more than 60 cars. I am also currently on the waiting list to have the rear lights changed as the parts are on back-order due to the high failure rate of the LED strip across the back...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've only had my 2019 E-Tron Prestige (21" Wheels) for less than a week, but so far on multiple drives, it seems to be happy averaging about 2.4 mi/kWh. That's with a fairly even mix of city/hwy driving around town and some AC pre-conditioning. That should be good for right about 200 miles of range if I drain the battery; so more realistically, perhaps around ~180 or so. I'm sure I could do better, but I don't want to. ;) In either case, that's right about within expectations and plenty for my current use case.

Since Audi doesn't give us full use of the 95kWh battery capacity, I'll plan on keeping the battery at "100%" unless I won't be driving for a few weeks or something. Now, if they decide to "fix" this in the future and let us use the full battery we're paying for, then I'd keep it 80% for good battery health. Which I'd much rather they do.

Reminder: Don't rely on TPMS! Check your tire pressure at least once a month or after a big drop in temp!

·
Registered
14 Posts
@omegafiler "it seems to be happy averaging about 2.4 mi/kWh" this what Audi expected to see from my Etron.

When I talked to the service manager this morning he told me the best he had seen from my car was 4.5 and they were even seeing 6.5 on some cycles, and it made no sense to them until they finally found a resistance issue this morning. I will go back on Monday and hope to find out the next steps as waiting Audi response.

·
Registered
16 Posts
@omegafiler "it seems to be happy averaging about 2.4 mi/kWh" this what Audi expected to see from my Etron.

When I talked to the service manager this morning he told me the best he had seen from my car was 4.5 and they were even seeing 6.5 on some cycles, and it made no sense to them until they finally found a resistance issue this morning. I will go back on Monday and hope to find out the next steps as waiting Audi response.
Cool, at least they're making progress. Hopefully, they're learning how to better troubleshoot EV's and implement future preventative measures so that kind of mystery issue doesn't happen again. Good luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Since the range healthy for the battery is between 25% and 80%, I normally leave my limits in that range. As such, with my daily driving habits I only need to charge about every 6 days. If I need to take a longer trip, I'll up the limit to 100%.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Wait, are you saying you can get 4.5-6.5 mi/kW?(!?)

After the second service pack we are up from 1.9/2.0 to 2.5 around town (Seattle which is filled with inclines that just waste away your battery and fast). We have Prestige w/21" wheels.

My trip Sacramento->Seattle last August resulted in 2.1mi/kW. (pre service packs)

Now, doing a longer trip at 65-75 results in 2.5-2.7mi/kW (post service packs). We had a loaner getting 3.5 mi/kW on city drives in Seattle...which was nuts, when I asked why ours was so low (and we baby it) the answer could be summed up as "¯\(ツ)/¯"

Do you have hills where you are? Grades are 10-24% here so that is bad news for an EV....

Can you elaborate on "resistance issue" because Audi when I have asked

·
Registered
16 Posts
Since the range healthy for the battery is between 25% and 80%, I normally leave my limits in that range. As such, with my daily driving habits I only need to charge about every 6 days. If I need to take a longer trip, I'll up the limit to 100%.
That is correct, but don't forget that Audi is already limiting you to about ~88% of the 95kWh battery capacity when you are "fully charged" at 100%. So they're effectively forcing that good battery health on you all of the time. Which is really their way of playing it safe, or perhaps highlighting their lack of experience or confidence in the tech. But also part of why they have one of the lowest ranges.

I'd much rather let the owner decide how and when to use the battery. Then when you do have a long trip, you've got that extra bit of range that is currently missing.

In either case, if you're good with the charge rate you have at 80%, not a big deal. I know that's plenty for most daily driving situations. Just wanted to throw it out there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Second time that I’ve charged my car to 100% prior to setting off on a long journey. 198mi on a very hot day. I had planned to charge during my journey (128mi) but arrived with 46% and plenty to spare. Car took 5h to recharge overnight on 7.2KW charger.

1: Car delivery date: 12th June 2019
2: Model: Launch Edition 55 2019
3: Range on collection day: 204 (Miles)
4: Current mileage 3,625 (Miles)
5: Current 100% charge: 198 (Miles)
6: Drive mode: Comfort mode activated with AC (37
deg C outside!)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts