Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
The R3s didn't do well in dry driving conditions from what i can recall. In the northeast, that's mainly what i encounter. Cold, dry days with occasional snow/freezing rain. I think Nokian skews for much colder and wetter/snowier climates than I see. Maybe they fixed that in the R5
I’ll be interested in @EricS opinion if the R5’s are better. Blizzaks always gave me a good balance between cold and snowy with dry patches in between.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Some good info here but I never saw one scenario definitively answered. There is definitely more 20" snow options that 21", with that said. If you have a Year One with 420mm Carbon Ceramics, can you use a 20" wheel? Will they fit?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have an RS Y1 with the Red Ceramic brakes. I have 21" Vossens for summer, and I just purchased 20" wheels for winter. I haven't put them on yet, but the guy who made them spent a lot of time spec'ing everything to ensure they'd fit. I'll let you know in a few weeks how it goes (assuming my tires get here soon.)

·
Registered
22 GT
112 Posts
Found a set of Taycan Sport Aero takeoffs locally.
IMO, they're the least "Porsche" wheel design. Just a generic machined spoke. They came with the Conti Procontact RX all season, which have terrible reviews and don't look like a very suitable tire for any amount of snow, but at least the 21" Goodyears summers are off the car now. We've got low 30's overnight this week. And then mid to upper 70s daytime next week.

As expected, the etron communicated with the stock TPMS units. Reading were accurate.

If these tires suck, I will not hesitate to sources something more suitable. Still looking at the Toyo Celsius Sport.

FYI-
19mm lug bolts.
"Security" key is in the frunk under the rights side panel.
Torque on the bolts is 118 ft lbs

Currently, there are at least two reasonably-priced sets of these wheel/tire sets on ebay.

Looking for an Audi or black generic wheel center caps. No luck so far. The dimensions are 76mm outside. 60mm inside where the tabs engage. And the depth of the tabs are 8mm.
The Porsche center caps have a raised crest, so I can't use a domed "sticker" solution.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Found a set of Taycan Sport Aero takeoffs locally.
IMO, they're the least "Porsche" wheel design. Just a generic machined spoke. They came with the Conti Procontact RX all season, which have terrible reviews and don't look like a very suitable tire for any amount of snow, but at least the 21" Goodyears summers are off the car now. We've got low 30's overnight this week. And then mid to upper 70s daytime next week.
I picked up a set from ebay but they were 20" not 21" .... figured that might be better for winter. Wheels tires, shipped for 2K

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an RS Y1 with the Red Ceramic brakes. I have 21" Vossens for summer, and I just purchased 20" wheels for winter. I haven't put them on yet, but the guy who made them spent a lot of time spec'ing everything to ensure they'd fit. I'll let you know in a few weeks how it goes (assuming my tires get here soon.)
Have my fingers crossed for you and hoping that winter 20" fit over the OE big brake calipers. I've got my eye on some Porsche Turbo 2 wheels for sale locally or hoping that a set of custom 20" TE37s I have sitting on the side will fit.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I’m used to running Blizzak WS90’s on my A6 and TT and love them. Bridgestone does not make them in the 20” rim size for the GT and points to their performance version of the Blizzak, the LM005. Does anyone here have any experience with those? I’m trying to decide between those and the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 EV’s that @EricS installed. I split time between cold Vermont and warmer but still snowy central Maryland.

·
Registered
22 GT
112 Posts
I'm not seeing stock for the LM005 in the 255/45 and 285/45 sizes.
My issue with the Blizzak line is that the awesome compound that makes them so great wears so quickly on the warm. dry winter days. And then you're left with what is basically an All Season tire.

From all my research, if you're looking for a proper 20" snow tire you've got Vredstein WintracPro, Pirelli Scorpion Winter, Nokian Hakka R5, and the Blizzaks. The Michelin Crossclimate2 and Toyo Celsius Sport would be the options for All Weather tires, still snowflake rated.

We're going to stick with the crappy stock Continentals all seasons for this year. The wife will have to drive the old Land Cruiser with Nokians on any day with snow predicted. Hopefully it's another mild winter here in far western NoVA.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I’m used to running Blizzak WS90’s on my A6 and TT and love them. Bridgestone does not make them in the 20” rim size for the GT and points to their performance version of the Blizzak, the LM005. Does anyone here have any experience with those? I’m trying to decide between those and the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 EV’s that @EricS installed. I split time between cold Vermont and warmer but still snowy central Maryland.
Answering my own question with an online review I found:

·
Registered
139 Posts
The review above is for winter performance and what they call “Central European” tires for places like the mid Atlantic in the US and the UK. This review is for cold climate snow like the NE US, Canada and Northern Europe:

·
Registered
2022 Audi e-tron GT Prestige/Performance/Leather [Mythos Black]
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
The review above is for winter performance and what they call “Central European” tires for places like the mid Atlantic in the US and the UK. This review is for cold climate snow like the NE US, Canada and Northern Europe:
A good demonstration that there is no "best" winter tire. you need to pick the one for the conditions you typically see. I was curious about the performance of the R5 but as expected they skew more towards snow and ice handling than wet/dry conditions. I live in the northeast US and we do see several storms per year but the majority of my driving in the winter is cold/dry, cold/wet pavement.

121 - 140 of 150 Posts