Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are people thinking about for mounting a front license plate? I'm paranoid ever since I got pulled over 20 years ago for not having a front plate.

I've used solutions from cravenspeed before, but they don't have anything for the GT yet. I like that it mounts via the tow hook and doesn't touch the body of the car.

Are there other similar solutions out there to consider?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Isn't there a way where you can ask Audi to help out? I mean, in Europe (not sure if it's everywhere in EU) it's even required, so they sell more with front license plate than not!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just got my e-tron GT yesterday and dealership said they are still trying to find out what to do to mount the front license plate. Here in California it is required but right now there is no bracket for the GT.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dealerships in US give you one of two choices. You either sign a form that releases the dealership from mounting the plate, or the dealer drills holes in your front bumper.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know. They are getting a bracket but aren't sure when or what it will be. They said it may have to be mounted using the tow hook slot since they can't find a part number for a plate bracket through Audi.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My dealer just said they will mount the plate directly to the grill by drilling holes. Not sure I want that done just yet. May try using double sided red 3m tape instead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got my e-tron GT yesterday and dealership said they are still trying to find out what to do to mount the front license plate. Here in California it is required but right now there is no bracket for the GT.
California does not really enforce the front license plate law. If you watch other cars pass, you will notice about 25% percent of them don't have a front license plate. I been driving my Ford Thunderbird around town for 20 years and I have never had a front license plate on it. No problem. If you do get caught you can put it on and the fine is very small. I will be getting my GT in late October (I hope) and I am not putting the license plate on the front of it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I did a custom order from Cravenspeed. No issue with the front sensor. Contact support at cravenspeed dot com and ask for Danielle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's looks great. I can see how it's mounted to the tow hook, but can the bracket be attached to the tow hook connector off center so the plate can be a bit closer to the Audi rings?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They made a custom length post that goes into the tow hitch. That connects to a license plate shaped metal frame that you mount the plate to. There's also a small space bar that moves it all up to get over the parking sensor. No issues so far.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The mounting bracket can shift over an inch to the right, and you could use the two inch extender to move or further to the right, but that would also mean it's not two inches higher, which means it would cover the parking sensor. Maybe they could customize a solution...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm thinking they could do exactly what they did on yours, but use a different back plate. One that can mount from the left instead of the center. I'll check with them tomorrow. Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know you guys have long been able to avoid front plates, I personally think it would look better mounted under the rings like us over the pond in the UK :), offset like this works on my current car an Alfa because it has a massive V in the middle of the front so I have little choice and I know a lot of UK guys don't like having a front plate on their Alfa's either and try everything to minimise it (but we have rules and they are about to get stricter), but when you have nothing in the middle to prevent you from just mounting it straight to th

Sadly on my GT when it arrives it will have been screwed through the bumper on a plinth with the number plate bolted to that, as designed and exactly how it would be in Germany too, it's how they show it on the UK configurator, but our plates are longer and narrower than yours

·
Registered
27 Posts
Someone on one of the other topics has a picture of his with UK plates, but these are just stuck on, is this not something you could do too, no bracket needed.

He has a link to the pads he used so I have copied a link to the post below, I hope it helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: I've been working with Cravenspeed on testing holders for the GT. They're shipping me a new tow hook stud that will bring the plate closer to the bumper - decreasing the distance from 1 inch to a little less than half an inch. (see pictures earlier with the 1 inch space.) Once we finalize on the right stud length, Cravenspeed will make official part numbers and a kit ready to order for the GT. I'll also ask about a plate mount that can shift slightly closer to center.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What are people thinking about for mounting a front license plate? I'm paranoid ever since I got pulled over 20 years ago for not having a front plate.

I've used solutions from cravenspeed before, but they don't have anything for the GT yet. I like that it mounts via the tow hook and doesn't touch the body of the car.

Are there other similar solutions out there to consider?
In California; I never put front plates on. Rather roll the dice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dont have one on mine. I didnt put one on my Model X either. I think they have become more lax in the last 10 years about the front plate. And if you do get a ticket its administrative only.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts