Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my wife locked her e-Tron with the keys inside. She was not aware of locking it, but it happened.

Other cars I have owned with similar key fobs will not lock with the key inside. Any way to change this behavior?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Other threads on here and other forums have all concluded that, no, you can't do anything to guarantee that the car will not lock. Like you, I'm used to cars that won't let it lock if the keys are inside. There have been cases where people had put the key somewhere else in the car (back seat, cargo area, etc) and they find they can't get the car to sense the key so that they can start it. Probably means that sometimes it will not lock, but sometimes it will, which means having to remember to NEVER do it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Out of interest can you unlock the car via the MyAudi app? With the Volvo, you can and it unlocks the boot which when you then press the boot button unlocks the rest of the car to be able to get into it.

·
Registered
2021 e-tron Prestige
24 Posts
Check manual. There some wonky behavior in terms of keys and where they are left. I know I saw it does end up locking a key in “for security” but will open trunk if you close it and keys are in the back.

·
Registered
2021 e-tron Prestige
24 Posts
(From manual found online - ignore bad paste)

The following applies when locking the vehicle:
— If the vehicle key that was last used is detected inside the passenger compartment, then the vehicle cannot be locked from the outside using the sensor. Take the vehicle
key with you and lock the vehicle again. Otherwise, the vehicle will not be protected against unauthorized access.
—If you try to lock the vehicle using the but- ton on the vehicle key while the front pas- senger's or rear door is open, and you acci- dentally place the vehicle key inside the pas- senger compartment and close the door,
the vehicle will lock at first. But if the key- less system detects a vehicle key inside the
vehicle after it locks, then the vehicle will unlock again. The turn signals will flash sev- eral times to indicate this. If you do not open the vehicle to remove the vehicle key within a brief period, then the vehicle will lock automatically. This prevents the vehicle from being left unlocked for long periods of time. The vehicle key will then be locked in- side the vehicle.
— If the luggage compartment lid closes and the system detects that the last vehicle key that was used is inside the luggage com-
partment, then the luggage compartment lid will open again. The turn signals will
flash several times to indicate this. The doors will lock. Always take the vehicle key with you, or unauthorized persons may enter the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I think the operative phrase here is: "If the vehicle key that was last used is detected ...". Depending on where you leave the key inside, the car can sometimes have problems detecting its presence. I am thankful that the feature is there for it to help me on occasion from locking the key in the car, but I would not rely on it as part of a routine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts