Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

I just picked up my new e-tron two days ago and cannot say how fantastic it is. Much better than I expected.

That said, I have a problem. I cannot lock the car. Does anyone know of a fix for this? I tried the key fobs and no luck. Am I missing something?

Many thanks!

Carrey

·
Registered
25 Posts
How are you testing that it is not locked? If you have the key fob near the car, it will open when you try that handle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How are you testing that it is not locked? If you have the key fob near the car, it will open when you try that handle.
When I use the key fob the locking button does not work. I have two fobs and both do not work for the locking mechanism, just opening the car.

Called support and they have no answer other than call the dealership on Monday

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Carrey, congrats on the new e-tron. This may be unproductive line of thought... but there's no locking mechanism that you'll hear activate (mine is silent). Could it be a perception of not being locked caused by this silent mechanism.

If you press lock on the fob, do the lights blink and mirrors retract?

Assuming you can still start and drive the car with the fob? i.e. the batteries aren't dead.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I pretty much always use the touch sensors on the door handles. They can be a little finicky, but pretty much--to lock-- touch-swipe the handle until the lights flash, the car beeps, and the mirrors retract. Another touch-swipe until the lights flash (no beep or moving of mirrors) to show that the car is unlocked. Maybe your dealer did not sync your keyfobs to the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Carrey, congrats on the new e-tron. This may be unproductive line of thought... but there's no locking mechanism that you'll hear activate (mine is silent). Could it be a perception of not being locked caused by this silent mechanism.

If you press lock on the fob, do the lights blink and mirrors retract?

Assuming you can still start and drive the car with the fob? i.e. the batteries aren't dead.
Hi B,

Thank you very much!

I have tried and thought of many different possibilities. What is clear is that when I look at the Audi app, it tells me the car is unlocked, and that there is a door open. I check and re-check everything to make sure all is closed. Still same. I have deleted and re-installed the app. No luck.

What all this has brought to my attention is the absolute lack of service on my dealers part. My "sales" person does not return calls or mail. No messages to ask how its going. Nothing. I find that really discppointing. It has only been a week since I drove it off the lot.

That said, Audi support has been quite good, however I have had no fix for the problem to date. Other than this problem, the car is fantastic.

Cheers

Carrey

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like you have covered the bases... and that maybe a bad door sensor is preventing it from locking?

That's super-disappointing on the part of that Audi team. My sales guy called after a few days, and another time after two weeks, and followed up quickly on a couple calls I made to him... I feel like I'm bragging considering your experience. Sad to hear that the service quality isn't consistent across the globe. Come on Audi! You should call my Audi shop in Des Moines IA USA :).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just a couple of thoughts: (1) mirrors only fold/retract if the setting is turned on in the vehicle settings. But if the car locks, it will make a noise and flash the lights (I don't believe there is a setting for this behavior).

We did find this: when the car was serviced for the first Service Pack, the my Audi app showed that windows were open, but they were not. It appears that the mechanic must reset and reattach (wrong verbs but you get the jist) these sensors to the ECU somehow when the car is updated. This is odd to me, but its happened twice (the second servicepack resulted in a "parking brake failure" light and message even though the brake worked just fine. Same result - it needed to be "reconnected" to the ECU).

This might be your problem. Try to lock the car with the door handle sensor key in hand. Then walk the key a few meters (yards) away then with no key in hand, try the door handle and see if it is open still... But it sounds like a service issue.

On a similar note: anyone else find the key not very good at connecting with the car? I constantly get "Place key fob next to sensor" even when the key is in my pocket in the driver side seat and it is unobstructed by something like a phone (the last time the phone was in my pocket on the other side of my pants, so that wasn't it...no metal key chain either...irratating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like you have covered the bases... and that maybe a bad door sensor is preventing it from locking?

That's super-disappointing on the part of that Audi team. My sales guy called after a few days, and another time after two weeks, and followed up quickly on a couple calls I made to him... I feel like I'm bragging considering your experience. Sad to hear that the service quality isn't consistent across the globe. Come on Audi! You should call my Audi shop in Des Moines IA USA :).
Yes, could be. I will be taking to the dealer next week to have it gone over. Sadly, I will go to a different dealer than the one I bought the car from to search for better service :cautious:

I did find another complaint I have about the car though... I notice that the touch screen is just a mess with fingerprints. Is it just my greasy hands or is that common? Having to resort to carrying a screen cleaning cloth in the car now.

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a couple of thoughts: (1) mirrors only fold/retract if the setting is turned on in the vehicle settings. But if the car locks, it will make a noise and flash the lights (I don't believe there is a setting for this behavior).

We did find this: when the car was serviced for the first Service Pack, the my Audi app showed that windows were open, but they were not. It appears that the mechanic must reset and reattach (wrong verbs but you get the jist) these sensors to the ECU somehow when the car is updated. This is odd to me, but its happened twice (the second servicepack resulted in a "parking brake failure" light and message even though the brake worked just fine. Same result - it needed to be "reconnected" to the ECU).

This might be your problem. Try to lock the car with the door handle sensor key in hand. Then walk the key a few meters (yards) away then with no key in hand, try the door handle and see if it is open still... But it sounds like a service issue.

On a similar note: anyone else find the key not very good at connecting with the car? I constantly get "Place key fob next to sensor" even when the key is in my pocket in the driver side seat and it is unobstructed by something like a phone (the last time the phone was in my pocket on the other side of my pants, so that wasn't it...no metal key chain either...irratating.
I have the camera system on my car, so no mirrors. And my car makes no sounds at all, only a light show when trying to lock it. But you brought up a good point regarding having the key in hand while locking and unlocking, etc. I tried it just now and that didn't seem to work. :confused:

I still get the message that my car is unlocked and windows are open. Customer support has no fix for that other than to delete and re-install. Having done that numerous times, I give up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I notice that the touch screen is just a mess with fingerprints. Is it just my greasy hands or is that common? Having to resort to carrying a screen cleaning cloth in the car now.
I think it’s normal, but I admit to fairly regularly removing finger prints and dust using a fine microfibre cloth dampened with Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer spray. I can say that I’ve been using this product for at least a year without any kind of deterioration of the screen or virtual dashboard surface.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts