Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm a new member here. Currently, I have a 2018 Honda Clarity, PHEV, but the lease will expire at the end of March this year. For the replacement, I'm looking for a BEV with AWD and ~300 mile range.

I was looking at Ford Mustang Mach E, but I don't really like the way they copied Tesla for the display, and low efficiency. Now, I'm interested the Q4 e-tron. With the limited available info on Q4 e-tron, so far I like it. I'm thinking to extend the lease of the Clarity by 3 months, but possible 6 months, hoping that Q4 e-tron will be available within 8 months. My budget is around $55-60K.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hello,

I'm a new member here. Currently, I have a 2018 Honda Clarity, PHEV, but the lease will expire at the end of March this year. For the replacement, I'm looking for a BEV with AWD and ~300 mile range.

I was looking at Ford Mustang Mach E, but I don't really like the way they copied Tesla for the display, and low efficiency. Now, I'm interested the Q4 e-tron. With the limited available info on Q4 e-tron, so far I like it. I'm thinking to extend the lease of the Clarity by 3 months, but possible 6 months, hoping that Q4 e-tron will be available within 8 months. My budget is around $55-60K.
I faced the same situation
You really have two options: Tesla Model Y and Audi E-Tron

Tesla is a much better designed vehicle with much higher range, efficiency, ergonomics, cabin space.
The drawback is that it has "teething issues" such as build quality and cabin noise at highway speeds
If you can afford the time for a couple of trips to the service center after you purchase model Y and are not very noise-sensitive, get Model Y

As for E-Tron, it has cabin quietness and build quality going for it.
The original price is outside of your budget, however because of its atrocious range (200 miles) Audi sells it at a deep discount, which means you can get one at your price point if you negotiate well. Lease is especially advantageous as you get low selling price while residual stays the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I faced the same situation
You really have two options: Tesla Model Y and Audi E-Tron

Tesla is a much better designed vehicle with much higher range, efficiency, ergonomics, cabin space.
The drawback is that it has "teething issues" such as build quality and cabin noise at highway speeds
If you can afford the time for a couple of trips to the service center after you purchase model Y and are not very noise-sensitive, get Model Y

As for E-Tron, it has cabin quietness and build quality going for it.
The original price is outside of your budget, however because of its atrocious range (200 miles) Audi sells it at a deep discount, which means you can get one at your price point if you negotiate well. Lease is especially advantageous as you get low selling price while residual stays the same.
Thanks for your suggestion. I'm not a fan of Tesla, especially on build quality.

I already have a mid-size SUV, so I don't want to get the E-Tron which is another mid-size SUV. I just want to get a compact size with the range close to 300 miles. Worst case, I will extend the lease of Honda Clarity, and wait for Q4 E-Tron.

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
60 Posts
Note that the difference in range isn't as large as the published numbers suggest. The faster charge rate will let you travel about as fast as the Tesla.

The largest drawback (as I see it, at least) to the eTron is the less stable and less widespread charging networks.

Reactions: Chrisechild

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Thanks for your suggestion. I'm not a fan of Tesla, especially on build quality.

I already have a mid-size SUV, so I don't want to get the E-Tron which is another mid-size SUV. I just want to get a compact size with the range close to 300 miles. Worst case, I will extend the lease of Honda Clarity, and wait for Q4 E-Tron.
Two very basic decisions you need to make are: 1) can I live comfortably with the appx 200 mi range on the E Tron; 2) do I prefer One Pedal driving? The Tesla now offers ONLY One Pedal driving (personal opinion: I do no like at all), while the E Tron offers three different levels of Coast&Regen (which I like a lot!). The E Tron does NOT offer One Pedal driving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Note that the difference in range isn't as large as the published numbers suggest. The faster charge rate will let you travel about as fast as the Tesla.

The largest drawback (as I see it, at least) to the eTron is the less stable and less widespread charging networks.
I believe Electrify America provides charging networks in US for Audi, but probably not as large as Tesla's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two very basic decisions you need to make are: 1) can I live comfortably with the appx 200 mi range on the E Tron; 2) do I prefer One Pedal driving? The Tesla now offers ONLY One Pedal driving (personal opinion: I do no like at all), while the E Tron offers three different levels of Coast&Regen (which I like a lot!). The E Tron does NOT offer One Pedal driving.
Since my daughter attends a school which is a bit more than 100 miles from home, I need a BEV with at least 250 mile range (preferably close to 300), without needing to charge when I pick her up.

I'm not crazy about one pedal driving, but I don't mind having it as an option.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Since my daughter attends a school which is a bit more than 100 miles from home, I need a BEV with at least 250 mile range (preferably close to 300), without needing to charge when I pick her up.

I'm not crazy about one pedal driving, but I don't mind having it as an option.
EA is the network that Audi has a deal with to give you free charges for a period of time. You can charge the E Tron at any CCS plug-enabled charging networks. I have not tried, but you can also purchase a CCS-Tesla adapter so you can use a Tesla charging station.

You would probably need to charge once to do a round trip to the school (although the 2021 Audi's have an EPA rating of 224 mi). However, note that for ANY EV the stated range is under "standard" conditions. In cold weather (30's F and below), all EV's lose up to 30% or so of available mileage due to cabin heating and battery efficiency. EV batteries total charging capacity and mileage efficiency are sensitive to hot and cold weather.

Tesla recently moved to a driving system where one pedal driving is the only option. The "break in" mode has been removed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts