Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

We're looking to get our garage ready for an EV in the (hopefully) near future. I'm pushing for the A6 e-tron (if that's what they end up calling it)!

Whatever we end up with, we're going to need a Level 2 charger at home and I'd love some opinions on Flo chargers.

Does anyone here have one? What's been your experience, so far?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
87 Posts
The home EVSE units they sell are over-priced and under-powered. They are 30A rated units, not enough. You want a 40A unit for a plug-in option, 48A if you go hard-wired.
FWIW, Audi is making noise about putting 100A AC chargers in future models, so make your garage AC line as robust as possible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The home EVSE units they sell are over-priced and under-powered. They are 30A rated units, not enough. You want a 40A unit for a plug-in option, 48A if you go hard-wired. FWIW, Audi is making noise about putting 100A AC chargers in future models, so make your garage AC line as robust as possible.
This brings me to this question Would like to hear what people are getting on their level 2 home charging setup I’m running 60a cable with 50a breaker- it has never tripped in a year and half with my 2020 etron sportback, I am using the supplied audi charger and getting 9.6 to 9.8 kwh charge speeds -

·
Super Moderator
2019 Edition One
1,444 Posts
I have 60A circuit with 50A breaker and have limited my charger to 30A via software since I do charging overnight.
udi is making noise about putting 100A AC chargers in future models, so make your garage AC line as robust as possible.
In many cases, 100A circuit would require upgrade to the whole electrical panel due to high circuit amperage - most tributary circuits cannot go that high. I was looking into it myself and it would require me to also upgrade input into the house. Right now I am on 200A circuit, but have already 150A accounted for, so any 100A circuit would require step up to 300 or 400A service, which becomes much more expensive on monthly basis. I am not sure it is worth the squeeze. At that point of time, I would charge at home with whatever you have and if you need high speed charging it might be cheaper to get membership for commercial DC chargers and use them instead if they are nearby.

·
Registered
2021 Sportback Siam Beige
89 Posts
Hey all,

We're looking to get our garage ready for an EV in the (hopefully) near future. I'm pushing for the A6 e-tron (if that's what they end up calling it)!

Whatever we end up with, we're going to need a Level 2 charger at home and I'd love some opinions on Flo chargers.

Thanks in advance!
I have a Flo EVSE installed on my barn.
Plugshare listed, as it is used by customers (horseback riding) and anyone else who happens by. Silver Fox Farm Riding Arena | PlugShare
They are a bit more expensive than some other brands, but:
-They are Canadian designed and manufactured.
-I have the home version, but it's used like a commercial model - sometimes 2-3 times daily.
-Work flawlessly in rain/snow/cold.
-Decent networking via App.
-The product is bulletproof.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks in advance!
I use the one that came with my car. It is a level 1 & 2. A family friend went and bought another kind thinking it was going to give him faster charging and I told him that it's the same. I get home from work around 6:30pm and plug it in when I get to 50% and I get to 90% by the time I go to bed around 10pm. So all in all just use the one that will come with your car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks in advance!
I use the one that came with my car. It is a level 1 & 2. A family friend went and bought another kind thinking it was going to give him faster charging and I told him that it's the same. I get home from work around 6:30pm and plug it in when I get to 50% and I get to 90% by the time I go to bed around 10pm. So all in all just use the one that will come with your car.
We bought an ETron GT Prestige and had no idea what to do about home charging. After quite a bit of research we ended up with a Wallbox Pulsar 40A. It gets very good ratings and was mid-priced in many options out there. It lists for $649 but Amazon has it $100 off. Installation cost an additional $150 so we felt the total was reasonable. It has an easy to use app and we have been very pleased with it. It takes 3 to 4 hours to charge depending on how much we have
used. We do only charge to the 80% Audi recommends. Here is a link should you be interested. Pulsar Plus 40A
I have 60A circuit with 50A breaker and have limited my charger to 30A via software since I do charging overnight.

In many cases, 100A circuit would require upgrade to the whole electrical panel due to high circuit amperage - most tributary circuits cannot go that high. I was looking into it myself and it would require me to also upgrade input into the house. Right now I am on 200A circuit, but have already 150A accounted for, so any 100A circuit would require step up to 300 or 400A service, which becomes much more expensive on monthly basis. I am not sure it is worth the squeeze. At that point of time, I would charge at home with whatever you have and if you need high speed charging it might be cheaper to get membership for commercial DC chargers and use them instead if they are nearby.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks in advance!
Am new to the forum so I posted this to someone else's reply. Will try again!!:unsure:
We bought an ETron GT Prestige and had no idea what to do about home charging. After quite a bit of research we ended up with a Wallbox Pulsar 40A. It gets very good ratings and was mid-priced in many options out there. It lists for $649 but Amazon has it $100 off. Installation cost an additional $150 so we felt the total was reasonable. It has an easy to use app and we have been very pleased with it. It takes 3 to 4 hours to charge depending on how much we have
used. We do only charge to the 80% Audi recommends. Here is a link should you be interested. Pulsar Plus 40A

·
Registered
12 Posts
All I had was 125 coming to the house and it cost me $7000.00 to upgrade to a 200. It was needed anyway and I didnt realize it until I bought the car that my breaker box wouldn't accommodate the 240 plug in the garage. Now, the charger that came with your car is a level 2 just like the one your purchased. They do about 30 miles per hour of being plugged in so there is no need to purchase an additional one but since you already did, it's good to have 2. There's no need to go any higher unless you drive 200 miles a day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts