Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
Thought I would inquire whether others have a problem with charging the battery to what what I would expect a true 80% value. When we first got the car it charge to 240 miles. Placed it on the 80% value and since then each time we charge it it goes down by 20% so first time was about 190 miles, second time was about 160 miles, the 3rd×142 miles
It’s like it’s doing 80% of the previous value? Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Congratulations on your E Tron! The mileage gauge (typically called a "GOM" for Guess-O-Meter) gradually collects data on your driving habits and settings...how fast you accelerate, how effectively you take advantage of Coasting and Regen, what your cabin temp settings are, what your driving and handling settings are, etc. When you first get the car, it assumes the best, then reality sets in. Also, both full charging capacity and mileage efficiency are heavily dependent on temperature. The battery likes it in the mid-70's.

One of the biggest impacts is doing a "cold start". When I get into a cold car and start driving, my car bleeds out miles like crazy until the cabin warms up and the battery efficiency gets up into the 2 mi/kWh region. This is also factored into the GOM. Using the MyAudi app to set my car to both charge and cabin condition the car by your departure time typically saves me 10 to 15 miles, compared with a cold start. A lot of short trips and starts in a cold car makes things worse.

I'm in the fairly temperate Portland, OR, area and got my car in Dec 2019. This time of year our highs are in the low 50's and lows in the upper 30's. When I set my car to charge up to 80% my GOM (accounting for all my driving and prep habits) pretty regularly reads about 160mi (80% of its 204 mi maximum).

Yours may stabilze as your settle into the car. Does your State of Charge bar show you that the battery is about 80% of full when you charge it up to 80$? (Given all above, it is possible for battery cells to be faulty!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations on your E Tron! The mileage gauge (typically called a "GOM" for Guess-O-Meter) gradually collects data on your driving habits and settings...how fast you accelerate, how effectively you take advantage of Coasting and Regen, what your cabin temp settings are, what your driving and handling settings are, etc. When you first get the car, it assumes the best, then reality sets in. Also, both full charging capacity and mileage efficiency are heavily dependent on temperature. The battery likes it in the mid-70's.

One of the biggest impacts is doing a "cold start". When I get into a cold car and start driving, my car bleeds out miles like crazy until the cabin warms up and the battery efficiency gets up into the 2 mi/kWh region. This is also factored into the GOM. Using the MyAudi app to set my car to both charge and cabin condition the car by your departure time typically saves me 10 to 15 miles, compared with a cold start. A lot of short trips and starts in a cold car makes things worse.

I'm in the fairly temperate Portland, OR, area and got my car in Dec 2019. This time of year our highs are in the low 50's and lows in the upper 30's. When I set my car to charge up to 80% my GOM (accounting for all my driving and prep habits) pretty regularly reads about 160mi (80% of its 204 mi maximum).

Yours may stabilze as your settle into the car. Does your State of Charge bar show you that the battery is about 80% of full when you charge it up to 80$? (Given all above, it is possible for battery cells to be faulty!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks
Yes will try prestarting while plugged in
Tonight set to 100% reading 180 miles so I hope it’s weather and not my driving habits!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I hope that helps. Remember that Audi recommends charging only to 80% routinely, unless you are planning a long trip. Also, most articles recommend doing more frequent shallow charges, rather than infrequent deep charges. I generally keep my battery between 50 and 80%. That gives me a decent reserve for emergencies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts