Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

Micro charging or going down to 20% & then recharging?

• Micro charges

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Going down to 20% and then recharging

Votes: 1 50.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so there’s a debate on what is better for battery health. Small micro charges or draining batter life to 20% and then charging back to 80%? I have very low usage so I’m deciding whether to charge everyday or after Every 3-4 days when battery is down to 20%. Which practice should I apply?

·
Registered
294 Posts
For EV batteries, a lot of small charges is better than a few big charges. I generally keep mine in the 50 to 75 (80) % quartile. The battery experiences thermal and structural stresses during charging that lead to degradation. The greater the range of charge, the greater the stresses during that charge.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
For EV batteries, a lot of small charges is better than a few big charges. I generally keep mine in the 50 to 75 (80) % quartile. The battery experiences thermal and structural stresses during charging that lead to degradation. The greater the range of charge, the greater the stresses during that charge.
So you are saying if your battery is Lets say at 50% And your day has ended, you will charge your car back to 80%?

and that is better than bringing your battery down to let’s say 20% and changing back to 80%?

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55 2020. Jaguar iPace HSE 2019.
131 Posts
Every night, regardless of SOC, always, 100%. Lease car. Literally no interest in battery health.

·
Registered
294 Posts
So you are saying if your battery is Lets say at 50% And your day has ended, you will charge your car back to 80%?

and that is better than bringing your battery down to let’s say 20% and changing back to 80%?
Yes, and going down to 20%---or even 30% is about the worst thing you can do for the battery in regular use. The next is going to 100%. Lithium batteries are susceptible to thermal and structural damage. Long charges generate a lot of heat, especially near the end of the full charge. You are literally trying to jam the electrons in (getting to 100) and they get in each others way. Lithium batteries also have volume changes as they fill up and deplete. Long deep charges make these changes more dramatic, increasing mico structural damage. Fortunately, Audi limits you with a floor at 8% and a ceiling of 94% to limit the damage. That said, thermal management in the Audi cannot be beat and, as Graham above indicates, you can push the limits and still have a battery that will outlast your lease. (It may not charge to 100% anymore, but it will charge maybe to 80)

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
137 Posts
Every night, regardless of SOC, always, 100%. Lease car. Literally no interest in battery health.
:cry:

I know you said you don't care, but that'll definitely damage the battery over time. I'm stating this only because there is a rumor going around that "100% is really like 80%" due to the conservative Audi buffer, when in fact it is 96%.
Tesla also recommends 80-90% as the daily cap, and they are generally seen as the least conservative.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
137 Posts
Since it has not been widely discussed, charging to 100% while towing a vehicle can be problematic, and downright dangerous on while declining on hills. There are some posts on Audiworld about this. Edge case, but important.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I agree, but the JuiceBox could be set as low as 6 a. What about that?
I have not read anywhere about any significant degradation from typical Level 2 charging setups. I can't prove it, but probably all you'll get out of going to 6A is a really long charging time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Alrighty. Just wondering because I plan on keeping the Tron.

I don’t mind long charging times when it’s plugged in at night. Just seeing what I can do keep her in tip top shape.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, and going down to 20%---or even 30% is about the worst thing you can do for the battery in regular use. The next is going to 100%. Lithium batteries are susceptible to thermal and structural damage. Long charges generate a lot of heat, especially near the end of the full charge. You are literally trying to jam the electrons in (getting to 100) and they get in each others way. Lithium batteries also have volume changes as they fill up and deplete. Long deep charges make these changes more dramatic, increasing mico structural damage. Fortunately, Audi limits you with a floor at 8% and a ceiling of 94% to limit the damage. That said, thermal management in the Audi cannot be beat and, as Graham above indicates, you can push the limits and still have a battery that will outlast your lease. (It may not charge to 100% anymore, but it will charge maybe to 80)
how long does it take for battery to charge from 50% to 80% on a home charger?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts