Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MMI and app Q’s;

im confused about a few things on the MMI and the myAudi app.

I am regularly unable to activate aux air conditioning via the app. From home I have to unlock the car then try several times. Usually works after about 4-5 “unable to activate” messages

MMI WiFi is not linked. I don’t understand what this does? Does it allow the car to tether via my phone?

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
260 Posts
If there isn't a MyAudi outage (affecting multiple users) then I'd suggest clearing the app's cache on your device. Particularly if you can see that your car is charging, but can't set aux heating. Clearing cache has sorted my aux heating errors in the past.

Failing that, uninstall and reinstall.

MMI Wifi as I understand it uses the wifi link to your phone to pull data and services via your phone and data connection, much like a tether yes.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If you have set yourself up as Key User you have done all you need to do as far as allowing communications with the car. With regard to the MyAudi app on your phone, it NEVER communicates directly with the car. The MyAudi app uses whatever phone data connection you have to connect to the Audi Servers. As for the car, the state of WiFi linking depends on your subscription, but everyone has the Basic connection (which in the E Tron allows for SOS calls and Audi Navigation, etc). It also allows the car to connect to the Audi Servers, and, thus, to communicate with your MyAudi app.

2019 models use AT&T; 2021, Verizon. One source of your problem might be if you are in a poor coverage area for your model year car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have also been struggling with being able to switch the aux air conditioning on from the myAudi app until I took the my Audi 50 (Jan 2020 build) into my local dealer last week. They applied two software updates which were showing for my vehicle, one of which had a fix for this problem. Following the updates, the app has connected every time. So I would check with your dealer that you have the latest software on the car.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have also been struggling with being able to switch the aux air conditioning on from the myAudi app until I took the my Audi 50 (Jan 2020 build) into my local dealer last week. They applied two software updates which were showing for my vehicle, one of which had a fix for this problem. Following the updates, the app has connected every time. So I would check with your dealer that you have the latest software on the car.
Was that the 91X4 software update? Until I had that update back in the late Spring, I was having all sorts of connection problems--not just with MyAudi app, but with my WiFi hotspot connections as well. It seemed to fix a multitude of problems!

·
Registered
360 Posts
2019 models use AT&T; 2021, Verizon. One source of your problem might be if you are in a poor coverage area for your model year car.
Do you know if this is the same for UK models - or is that just US ?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I'm not sure. You might try going through the MyAudi site to the MyAudiConnect page where you can sign up to subscribe to the Connect Prime and Connect Plus services. At least in the US, the info describing the Connect Plus options states what mobile service is available for me as a car WiFi hotspot (AT&T).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was that the 91X4 software update? Until I had that update back in the late Spring, I was having all sorts of connection problems--not just with MyAudi app, but with my WiFi hotspot connections as well. It seemed to fix a multitude of problems!
Just heard back from my Audi dealer that the fix for Audi Connect that was applied to my e-tron was "90P4 W-Software update for diagnostic interface". As this was applied to right hand drive car in Ireland, the reference may only apply to other UK or European models.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can you switch on the preconditioning with the car off? I have to uncle the car and try about 3-5 times to get it on

ALSO is there a way to check your software version?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
can you switch on the preconditioning with the car off? I have to uncle the car and try about 3-5 times to get it on

ALSO is there a way to check your software version?
Yes, there is a screen listing all of the car's software versions buried in the MMI menu. I don't recall exactly how to get there, but you should be able to find it pretty easily.

There are three ways to "precondition" the car with it turned off. 1) when your turn off the car, the Aux heat option appears on the shutdown screen that allows you to immediately start a heater. It runs for 30 minutes and drains power from your battery. (I think the intent here is to give you some cabin heat if you are out in the cold at an HVDC charging station) ; 2) In the MyAudi app, there is a "Stationary climate control" option. When you activate that, it is the same using "1)", you've just started it remotely. It also drains the battery, but that means you can go out to a warm cabin; 3) If you use the MyAudi app to set up a charging timer, the time you specify is the DEPARTURE time (the car will start to charge so that charging will be completed by the departure time). As part of setting that up, you can also specify "preconditioning", which will run for 30 minutes around your specified departure time. HOWEVER, in this case, since your car is plugged into the wall for the timed charge, the car will pull current from the wall to perform the preconditioning, so your battery SOC will not be impacted. (To use option "3)" you have to use the MyAudi app to set up a scheduled timer and transmit that info to be stored in the car. When you want to use that timer, you select it on the shutdown screen that pops up on the MMI when you turn off the car. You have to have the car plugged in and ready for charging.)

As you might think, option 3) is the best one--you start out your day in a warm cabin with fully charged battery!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts