Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

181 - 198 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
In thinking about this, I'm beginning to doubt the app update would do anything. I say that because some have observed the car actually drawing power from the charger as it drops from 80% to 79% and stops once it goes back up to 80%. This cycle repeating continuously (80-79-80-79 etc) is what's causing the 5 minute repeating alerts that the car is finished charging. I'm not sure how an app update would stop this since the app is only reporting what's going on between the car and the charger. The issues seems to be why the car is reporting a 1% drop from 80% to 79% (or whatever else you've set your target to be other than 100%, where for some reason this doesn't occur). When I spoke with the E-tron group they seemed to indicate the car itself was misreporting its current charge status.

Even if they somehow stopped the app from reporting this constant cycling of 1%, it would still be going on at the car/charger level. This to me is more concerning since as the car charges and stops, charges and stops, charges and stops, the relays and whatever else is involved in the beginning & ending of charging is constantly cycling. You can hear all this clicking & clacking going on as a charge is initiated or stopped. I don't think this can be good for the longevity of the relays & such.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
In thinking about this, I'm beginning to doubt the app update would do anything. I say that because some have observed the car actually drawing power from the charger as it drops from 80% to 79% and stops once it goes back up to 80%. This cycle repeating continuously (80-79-80-79 etc) is what's causing the 5 minute repeating alerts that the car is finished charging. I'm not sure how an app update would stop this since the app is only reporting what's going on between the car and the charger. The issues seems to be why the car is reporting a 1% drop from 80% to 79% (or whatever else you've set your target to be other than 100%, where for some reason this doesn't occur). When I spoke with the E-tron group they seemed to indicate the car itself was misreporting it's current charge status.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
Yea I will have to take a look at the charging brick to confirm. Agreed if it does do that then they will need a software update to the car to resolve it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yup. I've also got a Juice Box I no longer use and it does it with that too. I haven't tried the Audi charger but I believe others have with the same result. This, according to the Audi E-tron group, is not a charger issue, but an issue with the car misreporting its current charge status. That's why when the car reaches its target, say 80%, it almost immediately reports to the charger a drop of 1% which starts the process all over again. So it seems to clearly to be a car issue. The Audi does not have issues with phantom drain like Teslas do, so it's reasonable to say there's no reason the car should 'actually' be dropping 1% every time the target is reached.

It seems to be a 'feature' (bug) in only the 2021s.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
492 Posts
Sorry, mate ... it seems like someone did not put in enough tolerance into the capacity measurement unit and it is too precise !

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
492 Posts
I'd assume they already have some sort of hysteresis in the battery capacity measurement, but it might be not deep enough. Either way, seems to be interesting at best that it does not affect older year models.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
199 Posts
I did some experimenting and discovered that you CAN add the Efficiency Assist (Manual- or Auto-paddles selection) as a shortcut. That makes me much more inclined to play around more with the Auto mode.
I really liked and wanted to love auto. But it interfered too much, slowing me when approaching a roundabout that I could have 4 wheel drifted around, for example ;)

Thanks for the shortcut tip though. I may play around too

·
Registered
785 Posts
I really liked and wanted to love auto. But it interfered too much, slowing me when approaching a roundabout that I could have 4 wheel drifted around, for example ;)

Thanks for the shortcut tip though. I may play around too
I'm pretty much the same. I use manual pretty much all the time.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Any idea what efficiency mode does besides me seeing that the suspension is lowered by 1 notch.
Hi, I'm not sure if your question has been answered, but off the top of my head:
1. Throttle mapping is adjusted to make it easier to accelerate/decelerate very gingerly.
2. Speed at which it will lower to the extreme lowest setting is lowered to 50 mph. Dynamic and Auto will also go this low, but not until 87 mph.
3. Climate controls are muted. The AC won't run as often or as powerfully.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Hi, I'm not sure if your question has been answered, but off the top of my head:
1. Throttle mapping is adjusted to make it easier to accelerate/decelerate very gingerly.
2. Speed at which it will lower to the extreme lowest setting is lowered to 50 mph. Dynamic and Auto will also go this low, but not until 87 mph.
3. Climate controls are muted. The AC won't run as often or as powerfully.
It almost sounds like Efficiency mode is more Sporty than Dynamic mode.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
Hello All, I have found a work around that was mentioned on Audi world that may have resolved the every 5 minutes of intermittent notifications. In your charge planning. Go to settings then set the charge plug to unlock. Once I did that I only get a single notification.
Please let me know if that resolves the issue on your end.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That actually never worked for me. I've always had it set to unlock and prior to the app update I was still getting the 5 minute recurring notifications. It's only the app update that changed it for me.

181 - 198 of 198 Posts