Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
241 - 254 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Glacier White
17 Posts
If you're handy with wires and soldering iron, an extra resistor inline will do the trick.
Since I read your comment a couple months ago, it's been gnawing at me. This weekend my wife pulled both her Navigator and my etron out of the garage and the etron is much louder than a V6! I can't stand it. Has anyone added the resistor or otherwise made an attempt a quieting this thing down?

I'm very aware of potential consequences... this is indeed one of those 'at your own risk' things. Certainly a reason to consider 'quieting' instead of 'silencing' the sound.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
AoA called me this afternoon with good news. An update is in the works and should be released shortly. My understanding from the conversation is that E-tron owners that have reported the issue will be notified of the release as soon as it’s available.
Any news yet on this software update?

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-tron Prestige, Glacier White Metallic
87 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Any news yet on this software update?
Alright, so apparently this is a module issue and not a software issue. I dropped my e-tron off this morning for its annual inspection with my dealership. I noted that I was still having the issue with small amounts of power draw after charging to 80%, as well as a weird bootloader message that happened once. As part of the inspection they identified a fault with the charging system and will be replacing that hardware module, associating my issue to that module. The bootloader issue is being fixed by an MMI update. The module has to be ordered. I’ll update here once I test it after it has been installed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Alright, so apparently this is a module issue and not a software issue. I dropped my e-tron off this morning for its annual inspection with my dealership. I noted that I was still having the issue with small amounts of power draw after charging to 80%, as well as a weird bootloader message that happened once. As part of the inspection they identified a fault with the charging system and will be replacing that hardware module, associating my issue to that module. The bootloader issue is being fixed by an MMI update. The module has to be ordered. I’ll update here once I test it after it has been installed.
Unless that new module comes with newer software, I'll bet my bottom dollar it isn't going to fix the issue of it initiating a charge every 5 minutes. This is such a common issue with the 2021s that it has its own threads on here and other forums. With how long this has been going on, I'm not even confident Audi will ever release a real fix for this.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Unless that new module comes with newer software, I'll bet my bottom dollar it isn't going to fix the issue of it initiating a charge every 5 minutes. This is such a common issue with the 2021s that it has its own threads on here and other forums. With how long this has been going on, I'm not even confident Audi will ever release a real fix for this.
What’s interesting is that you’d think there’s a financial incentive for Audi to fix this, warranty repair costs down the road. The constant 5 minute cycles must increase the possibility of premature failure of relays, switches and who knows what else. Could it even increase a risk of a fire hazard? I don’t know, do any of us? Probably not, but it’s something that should be considered.

It would be foolish of Audi to think we’re all using the ‘unlock after charging’ workaround to avoid this issue, even though many of us are.

·
Registered
87 Posts
What’s interesting is that you’d think there’s a financial incentive for Audi to fix this, warranty repair costs down the road. The constant 5 minute cycles must increase the possibility of premature failure of relays, switches and who knows what else. Could it even increase a risk of a fire hazard? I don’t know, do any of us? Probably not, but it’s something that should be considered.

It would be foolish of Audi to think we’re all using the ‘unlock after charging’ workaround to avoid this issue, even though many of us are.
The “unlock after charging” workaround doesn’t work for my Etron. The only way I can currently get around this is 1.) to immediately unplug it from the charger or 2.) to remotely turn off my charger. Both of these solutions result in me not being able to precondition the vehicle while plugged in… so I’m really hoping it’s a module issue and if not it will at least rule that option out in the journey to solving this issue. Fingers crossed and more to come….

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have an appointment for next Friday to get the module replaced. I’m hopeful, but not confident that it’ll resolve the issue. I’ll keep you posted.

·
Registered
87 Posts
They did that for me months ago and it didn’t work. But maybe it was a different module. Keep us posted!
Surprise, surprise…. The issue still isn’t resolved.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Can someone reach out to AOA and find out what the status is on this fix?
No update yet, but I’m still actively working on this with my dealer and AoA.

241 - 254 of 254 Posts