Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

One of the things I just can't live with are the alloys the e-tron has (or rather my one has). Currently they're on 20 inch 4KE601025S 5 arm wheels and while the sizing is fine, the look of the wheels are not.
I briefly had a launch edition with "V spoke" alloys and thought they really finished the car off nicely.

If I upgrade to them, would I face any issues? My assumption is that the fact you can spec these wheels with the e-tron suggests compatibility will be fine.
Would I sacrifice range increasing to 21" from 20"?
Is ride comfort about the same? I have to say I did not have enough time with the launch edition to be able to compare to mine in terms of comfort.
Looks like tyres would go from 225/50/20 to 265/45/21

Anything else to potentially think about?

Thanks all

·
Registered
14 Posts
The new tire size will be about 38mm taller and 40mm wider. The sidewall height will grow so durability/ride will likely stay the same or improve. The taller tire will effectively lower your gearing and the wider tire will likely affect range more than the larger wheel.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The new tire size will be about 38mm taller and 40mm wider. The sidewall height will grow so durability/ride will likely stay the same or improve. The taller tire will effectively lower your gearing and the wider tire will likely affect range more than the larger wheel.
That's incorrect. If he is going from a 20" to 21" wheel, the sidewall height will be smaller to keep the outer diameter the same.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And this would impact durability?
I suppose my question then is, given the wheel in question is an option on the build, would they offer such wheel/tyre combo if it was not suitable?

In terms of range - how much are we looking at ? Unfortunately it was a little bit of an apple/pear comparison when I had the launch edition as it was a newer model and so it had the additional range increase for instance compared to my early 2019.

And again on comfort, noticeable to the point it becomes uncomfortable?

I've had a look for 20's but cant find a set of genuine ones that are not the ones I already have

·
Registered
14 Posts
And this would impact durability?
I suppose my question then is, given the wheel in question is an option on the build, would they offer such wheel/tyre combo if it was not suitable?

In terms of range - how much are we looking at ? Unfortunately it was a little bit of an apple/pear comparison when I had the launch edition as it was a newer model and so it had the additional range increase for instance compared to my early 2019.

And again on comfort, noticeable to the point it becomes uncomfortable?

I've had a look for 20's but cant find a set of genuine ones that are not the ones I already have
Are you sure your current size is 225/50/20? I thought the standard 20' tire size is 255/50/20...

If you have a 255/50/20 moving to a 265/45/21 will make almost no difference. With the larger wheel, you only lose .25" of sidewall. I have 21" wheels on my Sportback and it's still the best riding vehicle I have ever owned.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That would be correct if the outer diameter was the same. A 265/45/21 is 1.5 taller and has a taller sidewall than a 225/50/20.
Hmm, I did miss the difference in the two tire sizes given. However, you're numbers seem off.

The 225-50R20 has a sidewall of 112.5mm or ~4.4" and a width of 225mm or ~28.9"
The 265-45R21 has a sidewall of 119.25mm or ~4.7" and a width of 265mm or ~30.4"

So, it's a width difference of 40mm as you said, but only 6.75mm sidewall difference. I find it interesting that Audi went with a different tire circumference between the two. In this case, it's about 5% difference in circumference, which would also throw the speedometer off by that much. That would be approximately 3mph when going 60mph. If I were doing this, I'd also get the speedometer re-adjusted after getting the new tires.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are you sure your current size is 225/50/20? I thought the standard 20' tire size is 255/50/20...

If you have a 255/50/20 moving to a 265/45/21 will make almost no difference. With the larger wheel, you only lose .25" of sidewall. I have 21" wheels on my Sportback and it's still the best riding vehicle I have ever owned.
That sounds more correct to me; it's an easy typo to make. In that case, the circumference is only about 1.1% difference, which is quite negligible.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And this is why you are the experts... Apologies and I will hang my head in shame - it is indeed 255/50/20 !

So hopefully this means ride comfort + durability is all good - to be fair, I thought I noticed the road a bit more in the Launch Edition with the 21s but not by much. The key question to my wife was do you find it uncomfortable and the answer was no - complete opposite to the A7 I had with 21's - I think part of it is just bad memories in an otherwise fantastic car.

Would this mean range is negligible too?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Would this mean range is negligible too?
A heavier wheel or moving the weight further from the center of rotation (larger diameter) requires more energy to put the wheel in motion or stop. This means it will take slightly more energy to get the vehicle moving but steady-state driving does not take more energy. I suspect you won't notice a difference.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok great - I would /one would think they had thought about this given it is an option when building the e-tron.
What annoys me is we know the questions to ask but no where on the website does it state (unless I am missing the obvious) how the range differs. I.e someone may want to know this upfront and make a decision on range rather than looks if it gives them say 20 miles going for a 19" over a 21" or whatever.

I think I'm going to go for it - I just can't gel with the car with those rims at the moment.
That and the Manhattan grey skirts/arches instead of the Typhoon Grey body although many like this mix...again the alloys may change the look altogether.

·
Registered
104 Posts
ok great - I would /one would think they had thought about this given it is an option when building the e-tron.
What annoys me is we know the questions to ask but no where on the website does it state (unless I am missing the obvious) how the range differs. I.e someone may want to know this upfront and make a decision on range rather than looks if it gives them say 20 miles going for a 19" over a 21" or whatever.

I think I'm going to go for it - I just can't gel with the car with those rims at the moment.
That and the Manhattan grey skirts/arches instead of the Typhoon Grey body although many like this mix...again the alloys may change the look altogether.
The German range calculator shows you the difference for the three wheel sizes: https://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/elektromobilitaet/reichweite.html

It is all in German but just scroll down to where you see the car. You can select different wheel sizes, drive modes, and driving profiles. Keep in mind that Autobahn driving is considerably faster than the allowed speeds in most countries.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excellent so it looks like around the 20 mile mark
Something to think about for sure but I think given most of my trips are "local" or around the 80-100 mile round trip, this should be fine.
I stand by that they should really make it clear a whole 20 mlies could drop off on a car already low on range.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Excellent so it looks like around the 20 mile mark
Something to think about for sure but I think given most of my trips are "local" or around the 80-100 mile round trip, this should be fine.
I stand by that they should really make it clear a whole 20 mlies could drop off on a car already low on range.
I would be shocked if you lost nearly 10% of your range due to the increased tire size! I have a 2021 Sportback with 21" Turbine wheels and highway range is 215-240 which is consistent with other forum members with other wheel sizes.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I agree that the range loss would be much smaller than 10 %. You should also consider road noise, which is important for an EV. It's hard to get data on that. I have 19" studless Winter tires, with no acoustic foam liner,but apparently the pliable tread makes it quieter (by about 2 clicks on my radio volume control) than my 21" AllSeason tires that have a liner. I'd be wary of regular tires WITHOUT a foam liner.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree that the range loss would be much smaller than 10 %. You should also consider road noise, which is important for an EV. It's hard to get data on that. I have 19" studless Winter tires, with no acoustic foam liner,but apparently the pliable tread makes it quieter (by about 2 clicks on my radio volume control) than my 21" AllSeason tires that have a liner. I'd be wary of regular tires WITHOUT a foam liner.
Is there a way to tell by the tire or is this added to any tire? I can see they have CONTINENTAL PREMIUM CONTACT 6 on all 4 but unsure if the 6 is a foam lined tire by default

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for this - I think I did come across it but forgot where/when.

The wheels have now arrived! Itching to put them on but while they're off, I want to get them sealed properly and more importantly, get my callipers painted so that the rust is gone - something Audi are saying is not an "issue" and so will not be replaced.

Thanks for all the help on here!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts