Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to put some quick notes down about the road trip experience as that was a big question when I was deciding whether or not to buy and EV. First, (Disclaimer) I’m already an Audi owner 3 times over, so I’m biased...

I live in Houston and planned a drive to my brother-in-law’s house in Austin for the weekend.
Night prior plan was to full charge the car.
-Resulted in an (known problem) erroneous mileage available for drive of 215miles. That quickly corrected when we set out. Had to drive about 3 miles and turnaround to get something we forgot and finally left the house with 192miles showing.
-Plan was to drive in efficiency ride selected with normal A/C usage. Highway travel most of trip with final destination at 166miles with charging planned at a Walmart at 148miles.
-Expected to have 44miles of excess at destination.
-Drove an average of 70-85mph which cut about 15-16miles of range from calculation... I’d expect that cut until it recognizes your average usage in short and long term memory. (After the trip I’m about 2.0mi/kWh which was accurate when my daily charge shows about 196 now.
-Upon arrival in Austin I realized that Austin,TX does not have good quick charge stations at anything above 50kW, except for Round Rock (ok, too location specific)..
-At about 60miles battery arc turns yellow with battery image yellow, saying reduced range. No change made and decided to stop for coffee to see what it was like at 30 and below, so we made a coffee stop and below 30 miles the arc turned red, with red battery and recommendation to charge immediately. Definitely gets your heart rate up, but how many times do we do the same and drive our car at the red close to empty in a gas car, usually because we know where to get gas. I treated this the same and I’m sure over time we get more familiar with charging stations around us.
-pulled up to the Walmart with 26% and began charge At 50kW quick charge. Spent about 45min to charge to 75miles.
-Drove around for the weekend with about about another 1.5hr charge to get to 135miles before leaving town. My thoughts are this was painful because it took much longer to charge, plan for a spot to charge, than I would have with a gasoline car. We desperately need more 150kW chargers to make this process less painful.
-When leaving for the weekend back to houston I charged to 135miles at the same 50kW (cost spent in total about same as if it were gas / mile driven) charger at Walmart (these seem to be the best) and started trip to my 1/2 way point that had a 150kW charger (Electrify America - thank God I can use my credits now)
-Hit (a little over) halfway point in Columbus off of I-10 and 71 and a really nice charging station there. Arrived at 30% of battery and charged to what showed 100% but only showed 186miles available (due to driving fast at 70-85mph). This charge took 30min, a little long for a stretch your legs stop, however car WiFi helped get through it. I’d really like to see parks at the charging stations if they’re on routes of long trips.. Drove the 60miles to the house and trip complete.
All in all, not to bad of a road trip, for better planning having a 14-50 outlet at family’s house at destination would have helped.. but not available and caused longer than desired stops. Waiting 30+ min for a charge is painful but will get better as more quick charge stations become available. The range of just around 200miles is about 100miles short of where they need to be as an effortlessly functional road trip vehicle. But in the end I’ll deal with it and make it work because I love the car, the look, the comfort, and the features.
-Trevor

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good write-up. That's a really painless trip for a Tesla. No planning needed.
I'm interested in the E-tron, and probably would likewise deal with it for the comfort it offers.

Have you tried L1 charging (120v / 12a) your E-Tron, and if so does an overnight charge cover your commute?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Right, a for full charge. For instance in my Model 3 I'll use about 10% a day door-to-door.
On L1 that might only take 5-6 hours to add back about 7 kWh.

I'm curious if the E-Tron can keep up with my commute without L2 because I'm a renter.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We took delivery of a demo, at a great price in Tampa, Fl, for our Christmas present. [Probably not the wife's idea of Christmas.] Took several 190 mile round trips to island restaurants to verify the battery mileage meter was accurate. Planned a trip to Key West using A Better Route Planner. Fortunately, there are enough Electrify America chargers on route I-75 to keep us going. The trip required 3 stops, the first was just a few minutes to get us to Naples. Naples was lunch and the car was done charging before we were finished eating. The third stop was Key Largo at a strip mall. We walked to a rest room and the car was charged enough to get to Key West upon return. For this 400+ mile trip the e-tron took about the same amount of time as an ICE car as we would have stopped that much anyway. The 150KW chargers keeps the e-tron competitive for long road trips. Tesla-Bjorn says the e-tron is a draw against a Tesla model X for long trips. We are looking at additional road trips after the Virus episode is over.
The e-tron is such a quiet luxuriously ride, the ventilated seats are terrific here in Fl. Can't say enough good things about this vehicle.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Right, a for full charge. For instance in my Model 3 I'll use about 10% a day door-to-door.
On L1 that might only take 5-6 hours to add back about 7 kWh.

I'm curious if the E-Tron can keep up with my commute without L2 because I'm a renter.
L1 is about 0.8KW/Hr. An e-tron will probably use about 12KW for 30 miles so yes 110V would recharge the e-tron back up over night.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good write-up. That's a really painless trip for a Tesla. No planning needed.
I'm interested in the E-tron, and probably would likewise deal with it for the comfort it offers.

Have you tried L1 charging (120v / 12a) your E-Tron, and if so does an overnight charge cover your commute?
The comfort options and overall cost out the door during purchase is what drove to the e-tron vice the X. However the range does make things interesting. on the 120V side, when I plugged in it said 2days and 7 hours to a full charge from around 30%? I think that's where it was at after driving around all day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts