Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the myAudi app on my iPhone has been down for maintenance all day. Does anyone have details on when it will be back online. I get the following pic below.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I think it was supposed to be back up by 4pm Eastern, Wed, April 28. My understanding is that both the app and the car were logged out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Audi really needs to step up their software game because this is unacceptable. If they want to compete with Tesla this amount of down time should never happen. I never once experienced any downtime with the Tesla app. Audi needs to expand their software department or do something.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
492 Posts
Still down for me. This kind of software swap could be prestaged to just database cloning and cutover. Not sure what is taking them so long.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Almost like they didn’t have another system up, doing some replication, that they could flip over to while they upgraded the system and flipped to the new one. With such a long outage, I’m hoping it will bring some more improvements and better experience for us. The system seems so slow to do most things and lacks a lot of features. Most annoying to me is the maps, it is outdated, it lists some areas as off-road when the Google (and all others) maps on my phone doesn’t.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
492 Posts
I do not use Audi navigation ... precisely because how outdated it gets quickly.

I was involved in system upgrades on a much bigger scale and it never takes longer than a few minutes, especially if data base is replicated ahead of cut over. That makes me think they indeed have a single instance running and do updates on the primary system when it is taken down. Very nasty if you hit a bug and have to roll back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I work in tech and yeah, your assessment is the same as I’m thinking about this situation. On another front, I saw a video on the ID 4 and how VW is allowing free charging for 3 years on Electrify America chargers, with Audi and this low range for the e-torn, they should have offered something similar. Having 1000 KWh is nice but I think it should be more that VW. The more expensive car with less range should have that as an offer for longer, like Tesla did, early adopter bonus.

if they add in an update where you just plug into EA chargers and it just work, like on Earth Day, that would be cool. Have the payment system built into the App, once we plug in, the system communicates, it gets the info and charging starts. I’m curious to see what improvements we get with this major downtime.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
492 Posts
if they add in an update where you just plug into EA chargers and it just work, like on Earth Day, that would be cool. Have the payment system built into the App, once we plug in, the system communicates, it gets the info and charging starts. I’m curious to see what improvements we get with this major downtime.
We'll get a new background picture and option to pay for a chance to change it to something more personal ... just trolling but I do not expect much.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
492 Posts
LOL I'd call it a hard fought win. All it took was to take Audi system offline.

·
Registered
2021 e-tron Quattro
26 Posts
Mine is still down. Does anyone know how to change the target charge level without the app? I assume there’s a way to do it in the car but haven’t fiddled around with it yet. It would be nice to have a full charge for a little trip I’m doing later this afternoon.

Also, the color of the picture of my car in MyAudi changed randomly about a week ago 🧐

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
492 Posts
It can be changed under Car > Charging - default is 80% I believe and you can change it up / down by dragging the slider around

·
Registered
174 Posts
One pro to the way it is now is that when I go on a trip with my parents in their EV, I can offer to "pay" and activate the charger. The credits aren't tied to one car.

·
Registered
2021 e-tron
2 Posts
Per the manual to set charging target:

Applies to: MMI: Select on the home screen: VEHICLE > Charging & Efficiency > Charging.
When the timer is displayed, swipe your finger on the display toward the right.
Press on the right section of the battery charge level display.
Set the desired charging target.”

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
492 Posts
It is not just backup that is needed, it is a pre-staging environment where they can pre-build the new instance, and then switch it over overnight :)

·
Registered
2014 R8 V10 Cabriolet, 2015 RS7
52 Posts
It is not just backup that is needed, it is a pre-staging environment where they can pre-build the new instance, and then switch it over overnight :)
Eventually, Audi will be forced to acquire the talent and build out whatever processes and/or infrastructure are necessary to act like a proper software/hardware integration vendor. Tesla has the software—and I can’t help but longingly look at that instantaneous nav screen and charger network in the road trip videos, until they pull back and remind me of that hideous made-by-IKEA interior—and they may be willing to keep cranking out hardware that is only 80%-baked. It’s not clear to me that Tesla cares about fit and finish. But tomorrow’s EV buyers/lessees/subscribers are growing up in a much slicker software world than I did, where vertical integration, or something that performs almost as well, is demanded. Many will never have lived in an Audi or Benz. They’ll find their elegance instead in that IKEA simplicity. Like another poster over at AudiWorld, they’ll want more and better screens, truly sustainable interiors, not Alcantara and Nappa leather. They just won’t care that panels on an Audi might be aligned to within a tissue depth. They are being weaned off ICE by Tesla. And Tesla has the market mindshare. For many, the vertically integrated software stack and charging network will be all they care about.
Tesla will only care about fit and finish when truly high quality car companies start proving they care about the software stack and charger integration. (The Plug & Charge fiasco across most brands is a huge Tesla win.) One day, someone will become the Apple of EVs with quality, vertically-integrated hardware and software. Doesn’t have to be the fastest or cheapest—just the best all-around. Right now, Tesla’s wannabe-rivals seem determined to give Tesla every opportunity to seize that ground.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts