Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Super Moderator
131 Posts
Oh dear Audi.
I have removed the “Solved” from the thread title until we get some results that work for those that are struggling.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Satellite comms. That's a new one. Is that really true, anyone know?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Satellite comms. That's a new one. Is that really true, anyone know?
Yea, I was surprised when the rep told me the eTron uses satellite comm too for MyAudi features. Cel is used for hotspot, google map, amazon music, etc. Sat comm seems a bit overkill for MyAudi features and I'm not sure sat comm is actually better than cel Sure sat comm works in more remote places where cel signal is bad or non-existent but in urban settings cel works far better than sat comm. (With the eTron's range it's probably not the best idea to take it to remote places anyway :0 ) I have bad cel signal at home but I have a cel booster to deal with that so I would say 99.9% of the time cel would work better for MyAudi features.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Oh dear Audi.
I have removed the “Solved” from the thread title until we get some results that work for those that are struggling.
This thread is very useful and relevant to many eTron owners. Can we make this thread sticky if it's not already so. Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have my doubts about Audi using Sat links for car communications. I have used the App to update charge settings and check charge status from my kitchen while parked in the garage. Using Sat would be quite an accomplishment for Audi.

·
Super Moderator
221 Posts
I have my doubts about Audi using Sat links for car communications. I have used the App to update charge settings and check charge status from my kitchen while parked in the garage. Using Sat would be quite an accomplishment for Audi.
Yeah, I'm going to second that. Mine stays in the garage and has no issues getting updates to the app. Sat radio? Nothing in the garage. Satellite needs a line of sight or a local repeater to work. Maybe it supplements some functionality, but I'm quite sure it's using LTE for the core app functions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did some googling on this and Audi's website has no mention of using sat link for anything. It does say there is a built in SIM for AudiConnect which means using cel signal.
But, but sat link is what the rep told me..... Guess u can tell I am gullible. Be interested if anyone can get confirmation from Audi sources.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My own view is that was smoke blown by a salesman. No way. Obviously VAG haven't launched their own constellation so it would have to buy time on a commercial provider. The cost of which would be very considerable. And it's almost completely unnecessary in a world where cellular is widely available and cheap and mostly very reliable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My own view is that was smoke blown by a salesman. No way. Obviously VAG haven't launched their own constellation so it would have to buy time on a commercial provider. The cost of which would be very considerable. And it's almost completely unnecessary in a world where cellular is widely available and cheap and mostly very reliable.
It wasn’t from a sales guy. It was from Audi MyApp support. In any case I agree it’s almost certain sat link is not used

·
Registered
65 Posts
Probably thought that GPRS is the same as GPS (which involves no communications in any meaningful sense anyway)...

·
Registered
22 Posts
More problems with the MyAudi app and web portal tonight. I was changing a charging schedule tonight and locking up at 17:59 (UK time) and got a status update OK. Immediately after I locked the car and went indoors. Since 18:00 I haven't had a successful update. I've been on the web chat with Audi Digital Services and they say there's a partial outage.

Anyone else experiencing it? I've had the car two weeks and it's done this a couple of times already.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The App has lost touch with my car about 3 hours ago. :( FFS how hard can this be.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had no connectivity overnight at all and checked it repeatedly when I woke up. I got in the car shortly after to check it had charged and turned it on (as the app wouldn't tell me of course). The connection to the car then recovered immediately. So it appeared to be the car that was at fault this time rather than the online service itself. I can only think that when I was making various configuration changes to the charging schedule last night that it got itself tied up in knots and needed "turning off and on again" to fix it.

Not very impressed. If this happens again at least I know something to try.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The App has lost touch with my car about 3 hours ago. :( FFS how hard can this be.
Yup same here. Worked ok up to mid afternoon today. Was a bit sketchy yesterday though.
I can only recommend calling the support line/emailing them to log an incident ticket.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've had the same / similar experience with my earlier BMW 740e (the so-called 'Connected Drive'); the Jaguar ('InControl') and now this. At least Audi haven't endowed it with a stupid name.

My business invents, develops, deploys and supports software-as-a-service WW into some of the world's biggest IT companies' eCommerce sites. If we delivered a product as flakey as this we'd have gone out of business years ago. And we're a tiny company relative to the size of our customers. Maybe 20000:1 in revenue and headcount terms. But we care hugely about uptime and availability. It's got to work. And this just doesn't, it's utterly woeful. Shameful.

So in my own personal experience that's...

BMW Group
Jaguar Land Rover
VAG

...who can't develop and deploy a piece of intermittently-connected software that does literally almost nothing, and keep it working quickly and reliably.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've had my etron since December 2019. The MyAudi app has actually improved significantly since that time, but still flakes out. I also had a couple of instances where it seems I needed to do something in the car to clear things up. I assume Audi uses the same wifi service provider for their own interactions with the cloud and car that they offer for their wifi hotspot service (ATT in US, for 2019, but I think the 2020 use Verizon). I use the hotspot sometimes and will sometimes get "connected without internet" which means my phone will connect to the router, but the router itself is having problems establishing a connection with its modem. If you are in a bad service area for ATT (or Verizon) that might make things more buggy. Or, like these car "freeze ups" you cant get the MyAudi app to respond until you clear up the modem connecting if it has gotten locked up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If this is 'improved' I'm even more eamazed. And not in a good way... :(

41 - 60 of 63 Posts