Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Just purchased my first ever Audi, 2nd EV (Former Tesla Model S owner)
Love the car so far - comfort, quiet and smooth. Some niggles with the tech - hopefully be sorted soon.
Apparently first person on the island to own one! Hello exclusivity! (temporarily!)
Now I've got used to them, love the virtual mirrors!
Does anyone have any useful tips about e-tron ownership?
Cheers

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
[/
Special note>I prefer peddle - 2 times and you maximise recuperation manually

·
Super Moderator
147 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats!

There definitely aren't very many on the road, which is kind of nice! While people are starting to catch on to the excellent value of the E-Tron, I wouldn't be surprised to see prices start to trend upward before long.

This forum (check out the search), the owner's manual, and the MyAudi website are all excellent resources.
The website, in particular, has an on-line manual, and several handy quick-start videos.

Also note that for re-gen, you can even use the brake pedal by itself, if you'd like. Apply light pressure and you'll see re-gen kick-in via the instrument cluster. Then anything over 0.3g of force will engage the physical brakes. It's quite seamless. So much, in fact, most folks don't even know it's happening. ;) We actually had a recent chat about that over here.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have owned my e-tron since December 2019 and VERY much like the options on regen you get with the paddle shifters. While "single peddle" driving is ok, I really hate having to keep my foot engaged on the peddle constantly. Maybe this comes from my originally learning to drive a car with a manual transmission. Coasting is the most efficient way to move--any regen will lose 10 to 15% of the energy to heat. The e-tron coasts very well. I find I use the coasting option a lot on open highways and, of course, going down hill. Pretty much one of the other two paddle settings gives you just enough resistance (and the mileage benefits of some regen) so that you can coast downhill without using any peddle. In urban and local street settings, one or the other of the two non-coast regen options gives me a very nice "engine drag" feel that pretty much lets me maneuver single-peddle style. For an SUV the battery gives the e-tron a very low center of gravity and it has a terrific turning radius...and it handles like an Audi. That makes it great fun to maneuver while in coasting mode.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Welcome @e-tron-Jersey-AL. Mind sharing your experience with Tesla? At one point I was considering the Model X over the e-tron but after all the quality concerns I started to look elsewhere. Also, what other vehicles were you looking at before deciding on the e-tron?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First, thanks for the welcome, and the tips.
Second, Tesla ownership was for the most part, very good. Their help centre leaves a lot to be desired - took a month to respond to requests to add the vehicle to my account. Conversely, when I had an issue with the door handle, they were excellent, and had an engineer attend the following day with all parts required to sort it - arrived within 5 minutes of designated time too! (was on holiday in the UK at the time)
Tesla supercharging is great, and as the general Electric Network, is continually improving.
I had no issues with build quality, although the e-tron is far more comfortable. My biggest complaint with the Tesla was the poor turning circle.
A couple of pluses for Tesla ownership - it comes with a data sim installed that you don't have to pay extra for, and a tesla account for Spotify that gave you great access to music online. Plus updates are done over the data connection - Audi could certainly improve satisfaction by following that example...
I decided to move away from the Tesla for a couple of reasons. One, it was my first foray into EV's, and despite having a projected range of 219 miles, couldn't make it from Portsmouth to Nottingham in one hit (approx. 185 miles). Two, there are no Tesla dealers or repair centres on Jersey, hence a service call will require a ferry journey to France or the UK. Three, I didn't realise at the time, but if a car has to be trailered to the UK or France as opposed to driven, it is classed as an export, so is subject to the country's VAT (or so I have been informed) While it may be possible to claim back, it's a risk / expense I could do without...
I test drove the Jaguar I-Pace as well as the e-tron, (fairly limited choices on the island) but found the e-tron was far superior in ride comfort and general visibility, which was more important to me than the 0-60 time of the I-Pace (our little island has a max speed of 40!!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum @e-tron-Jersey-AL! Did you consider any other vehicles before the e-tron?
Hi 4Rings
I discounted other Tesla models as there are no service centers for them on Jersey.
We don't have a huge selection on island, so my comparison was between the Jaguar I-Pace and the Audi E-tron. In my test drive, the e-tron won hands down, although I am becoming a little jaded with the tech not working properly (something I couldn't test on a test drive) - judging by many other posters on here, they've simply stopped trying to use the myAudi app out of frustration... not somewhere you would expect to be with a premium vehicle. As Omegafiler pointed out earlier, these niggles need to be raised with Audi to have any hope of getting them addressed...
For day to day driving though - thoroughly enjoying the Audi experience!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi 4Rings
I discounted other Tesla models as there are no service centers for them on Jersey.
We don't have a huge selection on island, so my comparison was between the Jaguar I-Pace and the Audi E-tron. In my test drive, the e-tron won hands down, although I am becoming a little jaded with the tech not working properly (something I couldn't test on a test drive) - judging by many other posters on here, they've simply stopped trying to use the myAudi app out of frustration... not somewhere you would expect to be with a premium vehicle. As Omegafiler pointed out earlier, these niggles need to be raised with Audi to have any hope of getting them addressed...
For day to day driving though - thoroughly enjoying the Audi experience!
Yeah the myAudi app can be ridiculous to work with. What separated the e-tron from the I-Pace for you?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ride quality was far superior in the e-tron, as was the cockpit. It all felt 'superior' to me... plus rear visibility was awful in I-Pace...
I guess the I-Pace felt like a converted petrol car, whereas the e-tron felt more modern, designed to be an EV...

·
Registered
34 Posts
The thing that struck me about the I-Pace was the cost... once you specc'd all of the features that come standard with the e-tron, the price was signficantly higher.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts