Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been on the forum for a while, but now that I have my new car, I thought I would start a new thread rather than continuing to hijack others.

My new car arrived on Friday 7th May 2021, having been ordered mid-November 2020. Ownership could not have gotten off to a worse start.

The vehicle was brought from England, up to Scotland on the back of a transporter. The transporter could not get all the way up the street apparently (despite me living in the countryside where many HGVs will pass going to the local farms and equestrian centres).
The driver drove the car into the driveway to drop off the car. His first action was to ask for a picture of me with the car to prove that the car had been delivered. After that, he and walked round the car. What I noticed was just how dirty it was, he offered to go and get it jet washed. He left, and returned 25mins later. The car marginally cleaner.
I told him there was no way that I could confirm that the car was free from scratches or damage given how dirty it was. I would accept ownership of the car on that basis. He confirmed that was fine, and I should contact my dealer. I knew to check for the charging cables, and had a look inside to make sure there was no issue with the interior - all looked okay.
Driver handed me both sets of keys, told me that if there is any issue at all, contact my dealer, and off he went. All done in about 10mins.
Within 5 mins I had an email written and sent to the dealer mentioning the condition of the car. My contact at the dealership responded 10 mins later with shock and surprise.
The driver who dropped the car off had filled in an an online handover form to which had a series of questions (I was not aware of this), which required a tick for an answer. This form was sent to me and the contact at the dealer shortly after the driver had left (and also after I had emailed the dealer of my concerns). The completion of the form was shocking. Basically a big pack of lies on this handover sheet. Everything is marked present and correct, car is spotless, no damage, full battery, and that I gave the driver a 10/10 for customer satisfaction.
My "signature" was the photograph of me standing next to the car the minute it had arrived.

There is so much wrong with this car I'm at a loss for words:
  • No locking wheel nut - handover form says I should have this
  • No service book - handover form says I should have this
  • No tyre repair kit (I have not from dealer saying this should be in car)
  • No gift bag (I found a note in the car saying that a gift bag should be placed on passenger seat) I don't even have a key ring on the key, never mind the gift bag.
  • Scratch on N/S F wing
  • Scratch on O/S R door
  • Car delivered with 20% ranger - despite handover form saying it was full
  • Driver didn't offer to explain any of the controls
  • There are photographs of the rear of the car, and the mileage - but the sheet also asks for side on views which appear to be missing - conveniently!
The dealer asked me to get a mobile valet out to clean it up so that I could check the car over. Valet arrived and spent a good 2 hours washing the car and trying to buff out the scratches. Unfortunately, the rear door scratch remains, the others have gon. He reckons it'll come out with wet and dry sand paper - but that requires a body shop. I also had it at a body shop for a 2nd opinion, they don't think its too deep and could get the scratch out, without a re-spray. I told the valet man the story - he couldn't believe it. He works for Porsche and told me the process they have to go to before a car is released to the public. Out of pity, he gave me a key ring for my key - so I now have a Porsche key ring on my Audi keys.

(I posted some of this on another thread, so apologies for the repetition, but I feel like I need to vent off and get it written down).

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Regarding the Tire repair kit, did you lift up the tray in the frunk? The kit is located underneath. It took me awhile to find mine.

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
In my car the wheel locks were in the spare tire area in the back of the car when you lift up the load floor. The spare tire and inflator are in there too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the wheel nut and tyre kit.
I have now looked under the mat which the charging cables are on top of:
  • Wheel locking nut present
  • Tyre inflation kit present
  • Little tool to take off caps from wheel nuts present

So that's positive and means I can go to the dealer with better news tomorrow. Found a tiny scuff on the alloy wheels, so will need to raise that too.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the wheel nut and tyre kit.
I have now looked under the mat which the charging cables are on top of:
  • Wheel locking nut present
  • Tyre inflation kit present
  • Little tool to take off caps from wheel nuts present

So that's positive and means I can go to the dealer with better news tomorrow. Found a tiny scuff on the alloy wheels, so will need to raise that too.
Also, I have an owners manual but no service book - but assume that this is now all digitally done - service apparently is only needed every two years.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Did you get a nice bag to put your cables in as well - did you add the storage package (includes the two cupholders in rear seats?) - have you checked you got the plastic bucket under floor at back, storage net, partition net, etc received?

Could you check if your charging 'brick' has a screw in the hole for when you connect up either the industrial cable bit or the 3 pin plug bit please?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you get a nice bag to put your cables in as well - did you add the storage package (includes the two cupholders in rear seats?) - have you checked you got the plastic bucket under floor at back, storage net, partition net, etc received?

Could you check if your charging 'brick' has a screw in the hole for when you connect up either the industrial cable bit or the 3 pin plug bit please?
I've got the bag to put the cables in. I also have the cupholders in the rear arm rest, plastic bucket, storage net, partition net etc. These are all fine.

I will check for the screw when I get a chance.

Also, I have an owners manual but no service book - but assume that this is now all digitally done - service apparently is only needed every two years.
I can't understand why the delivery driver would tick that the service booklet was there if it doesn't even exist? Happy to be told by dealer that I don't need to worry. But my concern is that from this handover for, there is an expectation that I have the service book.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm sorry you've had so trouble with the new car. It's never good to start something so exciting on a bad note. Thank you for raising your experience though as it's very useful for someone like me who is waiting on delivery. Based on your experience I think I'm going to suggest picking it up directly from the dealer if at all possible.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sorry you've had so trouble with the new car. It's never good to start something so exciting on a bad note. Thank you for raising your experience though as it's very useful for someone like me who is waiting on delivery. Based on your experience I think I'm going to suggest picking it up directly from the dealer if at all possible.
Absolutely, pick it up. Not worth the hassle with it coming off the back of a transporter. It will be dirty, not getting away from it. And the delivery driver I had was not allowed to touch the paint work with a brush or sponge, so right from the off, there is an issue.
I'm not sure if Audi do the whole "unveiling" of the car by ripping off the loose cover to present your new car (I'm not into that myself), or not, at least you know you have a dealership ready vehicle, can spend time looking over every panel.
My car travelled 400 miles on the transporter, so going to the dealer wasn't an option for me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Absolutely, pick it up. Not worth the hassle with it coming off the back of a transporter. It will be dirty, not getting away from it. And the delivery driver I had was not allowed to touch the paint work with a brush or sponge, so right from the off, there is an issue.
I'm not sure if Audi do the whole "unveiling" of the car by ripping off the loose cover to present your new car (I'm not into that myself), or not, at least you know you have a dealership ready vehicle, can spend time looking over every panel.
My car travelled 400 miles on the transporter, so going to the dealer wasn't an option for me.
Ya exactly, with covid (and if I got my car on time) picking up at dealers wouldn't have been option for me. However it now is which at least is a positive to my delayed delivery. As you said looking at it in the dealers just gives you that bit more time and if any issues deal with them right away.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
260 Posts
Wherever you inspect the car from, do check that both charge doors open and close (and if possible see that they both connect and charge).

·
Registered
360 Posts
In my 2019, as I recall, I found a little plastic bag in the frunk that contained the set screw and an Allen wrench for securing the charging cable.
Thanks, I will take another look but couldnt see anything when I moved the cables into the nice Audi bag provided.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks, I will take another look but couldnt see anything when I moved the cables into the nice Audi bag provided.
Hi @Bhuna50 Are you unable to charge using 3 pin ? Would be good to know for reference the significance of the screw. I’m keeping a record of all these checks that I want to do when I receive the car. I may need to use 3 pin plug for a couple of days when on a trip and hence why I’m asking about the screw.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi @Bhuna50 Are you unable to charge using 3 pin ? Would be good to know for reference the significance of the screw. I’m keeping a record of all these checks that I want to do when I receive the car. I may need to use 3 pin plug for a couple of days when on a trip and hence why I’m asking about the screw.
Havent tried 3-pin, but the screw will have no significance on it I believe. Basically, its just the connector clips into place and the screw just 'secures' it - its just an added deterrent to stop someone from unclipping when I go on holiday shortly and may have to 3 pin plug charge to an outside plug (although prob wouldnt take long to unscrew LOL) :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Havent tried 3-pin, but the screw will have no significance on it I believe. Basically, its just the connector clips into place and the screw just 'secures' it - its just an added deterrent to stop someone from unclipping when I go on holiday shortly and may have to 3 pin plug charge to an outside plug (although prob wouldnt take long to unscrew LOL) :D
Ah ok that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. I think I’m going to test the 3 pin before the trip just to be extra sure it will work if I really need it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Ah ok that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. I think I’m going to test the 3 pin before the trip just to be extra sure it will work if I really need it.
This is correct. The set screw is not required for the charger to operate. It only serves to secure the cable in place. I use my Audi charger as my everyday charger in the garage. Working with if daily risks gradually working the cable loose, so I secure it with the set screw. As it is set up, you lift up on the lever, slip in the cable and secure it by pushing down the lever until it "clicks". The set screw then keeps the "lever" from popping up again on its own. That said, the plug-in mechanism seems very snug. I have also used my charger without the set screw in place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts