Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello e-tron forum world,

Just picked up our new 2019 Prestige black/black with the wife. Drove it home 60 miles so got a good taste of how it can handle on the highway. Coming from an ICE compact crossover SUV with standard trim, it was verrry nice. My first luxury car and first EV as well. Thought I'd share what factors led us to audi e-tron ownership:

Inception
When we found out that NJ doesn't charge sales tax on EV's and even began giving rebates of $5k for cars with sticker prices below $55k, that sparked my sudden interest into Tesla as it was the most well known name in the industry. Thus began my quest to find out all I could on them and initially figured a Tesla Model 3 or Y was in the cards for us.

Unpleasant surprise
I began watching youtube video after youtube video, researching online, reading up all I could on Tesla's. I was soon convinced our next car would be the Model Y for its great space, newest tech, and reasonable price. Then when the day of our test drive came, it was an unexpected unpleasant surprise. I went into that test drive fully expecting to get blown away. In the end, it was a nice experience but was missing the "wow" factor. For us humble folk coming from a compact crossover SUV, the Tesla interior cabin was underwhelming for the price tag. While the technology was advanced, incredible acceleration, and easily the best driver assistance feature in "auto-pilot", the cabin wasn't what I imagined a "luxury" vehicle to be. While Audi can't match Tesla on these other factors, the "luxury" feel was on another level - the eTron felt like a true upgrade for us. A few of the luxury features that jumped out: massaging seats, cooled ventilated seats, interior DJ lighting, heads up display.

Exterior
The eTron looks like a cross between an Audi Q5 and Q7, very nice, elegant, and all the lights in the front, back, and inside are very sexy. We felt the Model Y looked like a chubby Model 3, and not in a good way, but in an alien-type way. We actually preferred the Model 3 look but wanted an SUV for the space it offered and being able to better handle the northeast snowy/slushy winters. Also the fit and finish issues that seem to persist was definitely negative points for Tesla.

Price
While the sticker price on the eTron vs the Model Y seem worlds apart (83k vs 49k), there is the additional 2.5k you get from federal tax credit (total 7.5k) vs the NJ rebate of 5k. Then if you factor in the discounts that can be had on a new Audi 2019 eTron in the US in lieu of slumping sales and slow moving inventory of this vehicle, you can narrow that gap significantly. When we realized the eTron isn't actually 30k more expensive but closer to 12k, that really got us thinking. You have to be able to negotiate somewhat however and there is a stress that comes with that but you will be rewarded for your efforts.

So here we are, sending some love from NJ!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome to the world of EV life and even better an e-tron life. I joined recently myself...a week or two ago. As I was reading your post, it mirrored my experience down to a ‘t’. I WANTED to love the Tesla, but I just couldn’t get over the build quality and lack of features I wanted. Much like you I was wow’d by the e-tron luxury features and Audi’s stellar production quality. The way I finally decided on the Audi came down to this...at the end of the day, I wanted to look, sit, drive, enjoy the car...something that would look great now, and also in 5 years. My gut instinct said that when the dust settled, the newness wore off it would not be there for the Tesla Model Y. It is easy to get caught up in the marketing vortex! Yes, the e-tron checked all the boxes for me. There is ONE compromise that is hard to argue, range, but in my particular case...my drive usage is perfect for this EV. Congrats again, and please post pictures!

·
Super Moderator
142 Posts
As Delerium noted, we're all in the same boat! It's surprising how many folks are jumping over to E-Tron after seriously considering a Model Y or X. I've been following the Tesla forums for years and watched a ton of YT videos. If there's one thing in common, it's expectations. Many (happy) Tesla Owners either aren't very picky or are coming from a much older non-luxury vehicle. So by comparison, they either don't care about the countless issues, or it really is a big step up from their previous baseline experience of vehicle ownership.

I wonder how many would feel the same if they had cross-shopped other vehicles in their much higher price range target. Regardless, the E-Tron is a heck of a deal right now. New and especially used. If enough people catch on, I wouldn't be surprised to see prices start creeping upward.

In either case, welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new ride! Would love to see some pictures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I will post pictures later when I get a proper chance to. As of now it's concealed in our garage as my wife doesn't want this flashy luxury vehicle to be out on the driveway for all the neighbors to see (it would literally be the only luxury vehicle on the block; as it is, our house is one of the larger and higher priced homes in our modest neighborhood and we are also the youngest couple). @DeleriumJRW @omegafiler thanks for sharing! Funny how we all thought along the same lines in our purchase process. If it wasn't for my wife who pulled me away to objectively reconsider the Model Y purchase, I might not be here but on a tesla forum lol.

@4Rings The wife and I knew we wanted an EV but also an AWD SUV; not too many to choose from without breaking the bank; Jag I-Pace and Tesla Model X weren't considered for this reason. Even the e-tron we ended up with, we initially thought was beyond our budget. I briefly considered the Kia Niro EV and Hyundai Kona Electric, but both of these currently don't come in AWD which was a deal breaker!

·
Registered
83 Posts
The wife and I knew we wanted an EV but also an AWD SUV; not too many to choose from without breaking the bank; Jag I-Pace and Tesla Model X weren't considered for this reason. Even the e-tron we ended up with, we initially thought was beyond our budget. I briefly considered the Kia Niro EV and Hyundai Kona Electric, but both of these currently don't come in AWD which was a deal breaker!
I went through the exact same thought process. AWD was a requirement for us as well. Welcome!

·
Super Moderator
129 Posts
Can I ask if the budget was available would you have gone for the model x?

“All-Wheel Drive. Only Tesla has the technology that provides dual motors with independent traction to both front and rear wheels for unparalleled control, in all weather conditions. As a result, Model X instantly controls traction and torque to every wheel, with a unique and superior all-wheel drive system.”

Given the Tesla supercharge infrastructure in the USA. Over the Etron and those FWD on the Model X of course.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@etronukowner that's a good question - I'm not sure actually! If I had to guess, I'd say no the Model X. Among the available Tesla's, Model S and X haven't appealed to me all that much being the older generations. To be fair, I haven't sat inside the cabin of a Tesla Model X so I wonder if I would've gotten the same "wow" factor I did when sitting inside the e-tron. Tesla's supercharger network is definitely one of its top selling points regardless of model selected. Of the piles of youtube video's I've watched on the Tesla Model Y, however, it seemed the consensus opinion when choosing between the two was leaning towards the Y (cheaper, newer tech including heat pump, space differential not material, falcon wing doors not adding that much to funciton/pleasure) - also in NJ the $5k state rebate wouldn't have applied to Model X so likely, would've steered me more towards the Y if I definitely went Tesla.

On a related note, I am a Tesla shareholder and while I haven't purchased one, I am very optimistic about its future (not to mention the crazy high's its been hitting these past couple days!!!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts