Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I picked up my E-Tron a couple of weeks ago:

55 Launch Edition in Manhattan Grey and black leather. Incredible car although I have one issue which is causing me a big issue which I've posted here.

On a positive note, I love the virtual mirrors. One aspect of them I hadn't appreciated prior to getting the car, was how amazing they are in the rain. With regular mirrors, when it's raining, you are looking through a wet rain covered window, onto a rainy mirror. The view is far from optimal. With the virtual mirrors you simply have the clean view from the camera onto the LED screen. It's really impressive.

Other aspects: Love the autonomous mode (Tour Pack) when cruising - I've had zero false errors from other vehicles, moving or stationary - super impressive as an effective overall system. LED panels and MMI the best I've experienced of any car. B&O sounds system very good indeed for an OEM product. Overall the E-Tron is just a really good car, (apart from the other issue I'm experiencing) - very comfortable, great primary and secondary ride, handles incredibly well, considering the weight, and is plenty quick enough for normal driving. There are a few areas of trim where they could improve, namely the lower regions of the centre console (improved if you spec the optional extended leather), door bin area and the rear of the centre console and air vents feel cheap. But overall very solid as you'd expect from Audi.

Here's hoping I can fix the one major niggle.

Nic99.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Nic99 - i have just ordered the 55 Vorspung and removed the virtual mirrors due to some really bad reviews. A couple of questions if I may:
1. Have you experienced water beading on top of the camera or does it never get stuck?
2. Have you had any experience with sun glare on the passenger display meaning you can't use it? (I've seen videos of this on the Launch Edition and it looks horrendous)
3. Is it something you've gotten used to in your 8 days, or is it still taking some time?

I'd love to have the virtual mirrors (given they are included in the price), but I do not want a safety concern when driving with a family. I'd like to know if you've any further thoughts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For me the VM add value. They are especially useful in bad weather and when it's raining. They are also able to pick up more detail at night time due to sensitivity. As an added bonus they also look great and are iconic.

To answer your questions:

1) I've never experienced any water beading issue and I've driven the car on all sorts of roads and in horrible wet weather on multiple occasions. The car had condensation on the VM the other day but after a minute or so it cleared once they'd warmed up. No difference to a regular mirror.

2) Ive' not experienced sun glare problems on either mirror. I've not actively looked to find the issue so that doesn't mean it does not exist, just that I've not experienced it. Is this something which happens when the sun is shining directly into the cameras? Happy to try to experiment today as the sun is actually out in the UK!

3) It took me a few hours during my first drive to get used to and acclimatise to the VM. Each time I use the car I am reminded how good they are. But they do behave differently to regular mirrors in that you cannot change your angle of view, obviously. At first they seem small in size when compared to regular mirrors, but that is pure perception. If you calculate the relative size, in terms of projection size and where they are in space, then in fact they are spot on. I found that my arm would get in the way, so no more cruising with my arm on the window sill!

The one down side I've experienced is when reverse parking. I like to use mirrors to view where the wheel is in relation to the kerb. However, with the VM you can't do this. Having said that, I had a loan e-tron the other day which had regular mirrors and noticed that once I'd tilted the mirror down I couldn't see the rear wheels which is I found odd, so not sure if that's down to the body shape? But that's the one thing I miss. Other than that, only positives from my perspective.

A good friend of mine also has VM and he's owned his car for 8 months or so. He also agrees they are a plus, as opposed to a negative. That helped with my decision to go with VM as I'd read various negative reviews. After collecting the car, I hit some horrendous weather where the rain and spray was as bad as it gets on a motorway, but looking at the VM the display was crystal clear. It dawned on me that normally I would be looking through a rain smeared window onto rainy mirrors whereas with VM you simply get a very clear view. I'd argue they are far safer in bad weather and the darker hours compared with regular mirrors. I've read this elsewhere since taking ownership but hadn't read it before.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for your review & comments. I concur with the VM points you make about dark and rain. I have the Kerb issue as well, but the manual says that the VM should have "Kerb View" and there is a setting in the MMI to do this. Yet, every time I still have to manually drag the mirrors down - setting seems to be a placebo! :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
These responses do help, thank you. I have requested a demo of a car with the virtual mirrors in the hope that if I like them, I can change my order.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the Kerb issue as well, but the manual says that the VM should have "Kerb View" and there is a setting in the MMI to do this. Yet, every time I still have to manually drag the mirrors down - setting seems to be a placebo! :(
Kerb view needs to be selected under the VM under Display & brightness.

Please see my post about my new findings on kerb view - it actually works very well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
@uhhu_ I had a VM model etron as a courtesy car for 2 days recently. I wasn't annoyed by them, nor did I find them to be bad or detracting from safety or enjoyment of the car.

But. I wasn't blown away either.

I did enjoy just simply glancing to the right to check the driver side mirror (UK model) rather than moving your whole head. With more time maybe I'd have learned to like them more. I did think the screens could be bigger.

They look great though.

On balance. They're not worse than standard mirrors. I'd comfortably live with them and if money were no object, I'd spec them on my next etron. Some reviews are a little sensationalist in my opinion, quick to shout down innovation. Having seen such reviews I was suprised how much of a non issue they are

1 - 10 of 10 Posts