Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am about to become a new owner of a 2021 e-Tron Prestige. I pick up the car on 4-24-2021. I live in a suburb of Chicago but the only Glacier White Prestige that was available was in Rochester, MN. So, I made plans to fly one way and drive it back. I have mapped the ElectrifyAmerica charging stations and I was so excited. Then last night I was just searching Google, about trip planning apps for EVs and I found some posts here in the issues and complaints. I know I should not have clicked it but I did. There were a lot of posts of cars not charging, rear motors dying at 100 miles and some insane things where the car gets bricked. I have read about the sunroof and and rear taillight but thsee issues would not prevent me from getting back to my house. I even searched my VIN on the Audi recall/service bulletin website that so one posted in the forum and it showed no outstanding issues. But I haven’t been able to sleep since reading some of those stories.

I know some minor issues are to be expected, but how can I make sure when I take delivery tomorrow the car will make it home? I’ll need to charge 3 times on the way home. I have left a message for the sales manager to make sure all of the software updates and TSBs be done before I pick it up. However, I know they won’t be able to do all of them (brake issues, tail light and sunroof).

I hope some one in this forum can help me not be stressed and enjoy my 350 mile journey home.

Thanks in advance.

Sejal

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
492 Posts
What I would do after pickup, is take a longer drive around the dealership before setting off the trip back. Do 50-100 miles and then it will confirm all is good at least locally.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I would do after pickup, is take a longer drive around the dealership before setting off the trip back. Do 50-100 miles and then it will confirm all is good at least locally.
Thank you for that advice. I’ll try to drive it for about 30-40 miles. Hopefully the dealership will top me off again before I leave.

Sejal

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
492 Posts
There should be EA chargers in the area. I would make a run to the nearest one, top it up, and back to dealership. They are also spaced ~50-70 miles apart if you want a longer one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Also keep in mind that especially the more dramatic issues (motor failure, battery failure, not charging at all) are pretty rare. The motor seal is improved on current models so the coolant intrusion that causes the motor failure should be less likely compared to 2019 models. Considering the entire fleet of E-trons, there have been a significant amount of miles accumulated with few issues. So I would not worry too much about it. If you do get stranded (again, not that likely) Audi will take care of you.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
492 Posts
Yep, free towing and road side assistance are included, so just call them up, they are pretty quick and helpful. I would not worry, since you're buying a new unit, with warranty, road side assistance, and all bells of a new car. I drive 2019 model and so far have only superlatives as far as the car and handling is concerned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, free towing and road side assistance are included, so just call them up, they are pretty quick and helpful. I would not worry, since you're buying a new unit, with warranty, road side assistance, and all bells of a new car. I drive 2019 model and so far have only superlatives as far as the car and handling is concerned.
Also keep in mind that especially the more dramatic issues (motor failure, battery failure, not charging at all) are pretty rare. The motor seal is improved on current models so the coolant intrusion that causes the motor failure should be less likely compared to 2019 models. Considering the entire fleet of E-trons, there have been a significant amount of miles accumulated with few issues. So I would not worry too much about it. If you do get stranded (again, not that likely) Audi will take care of you.
thank you so much, I am starting to feel a little better. I am boarding my flight right now. Fingers crossed. I’ll keep checking these posts. My pick up time is 12:00 PM tomorrow

·
Registered
15 Posts
We did something similar last weekend. We rented a car and drove 280 miles to a dealer on the other side of our state, because they had the configuration we wanted. We drove the E-tron back stopped once for charging and had no issues whatsoever. I am sure there will be exceptions to the rule, but don't let that ruin your purchase. All car companies have issue and the company will fix it since these are all under warranty. Further Audi offers free road side assistance in the worst case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We did something similar last weekend. We rented a car and drove 280 miles to a dealer on the other side of our state, because they had the configuration we wanted. We drove the E-tron back stopped once for charging and had no issues whatsoever. I am sure there will be exceptions to the rule, but don't let that ruin your purchase. All car companies have issue and the company will fix it since these are all under warranty. Further Audi offers free road side assistance in the worst case.
Thanks for the boost to my confidence. I’ll post updates once I pick up the car and as I stop at chargers. I’m case anyone wants updates.

·
Registered
2021 e-tron Prestige
24 Posts
Thanks for the boost to my confidence. I’ll post updates once I pick up the car and as I stop at chargers. I’m case anyone wants updates.
I'm picking up my 2021 e-tron Prestige tomorrow too. NJ to CT for me. Luckily my in laws are south of the dealer and have a EA charger picked out to test while still in CT.
Made sure to give the dealer the Service Bulletin # to confirm update for charge controller. So shall see but I am optimistic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm picking up my 2021 e-tron Prestige tomorrow too. NJ to CT for me. Luckily my in laws are south of the dealer and have a EA charger picked out to test while still in CT.
Made sure to give the dealer the Service Bulletin # to confirm update for charge controller. So shall see but I am optimistic.
Good luck. My dealer and service advisor just called me back and said there were no outstanding TSBs on the car and is ready to go. They also said just stick to all the EA chargers and I’ll make it home just fine. Feeling better about this already.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I picked mine up about 4 weeks ago, jumped in and drove 1100 miles home, piece of cake! The e-tron ran like a champ and not a single issue at any of the EA chargers.

One tip I found helpful on the chargers, when the e-tron is first communicating with the charger after plugging in, hold the handle on the charge cable upward just a bit, just a little upward pressure. It seems to help the pins establish contact a little better during the initial handshake. Once communication is established, there’s no need to mess with the handle/cable any further. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I picked mine up about 4 weeks ago, jumped in and drove 1100 miles home, piece of cake! The e-tron ran like a champ and not a single issue at any of the EA chargers.

One tip I found helpful on the chargers, when the e-tron is first communicating with the charger after plugging in, hold the handle on the charge cable upward just a bit, just a little upward pressure. It seems to help the pins establish contact a little better during the initial handshake. Once communication is established, there’s no need to mess with the handle/cable any further. Enjoy the ride!
That’s awesome and I was stressed about my trip. Great tip for the initial handshake. Thank you.
Sejal

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi everyone, sorry for not posting yesterday. But it was my drive day.

Went to to the dealership at noon and was on the road at 2:30! Small hiccup getting the myAudi app to work. That took the longest.

Drove the 350 miles in 7 hours, with 2 stops at the EA chargers. I did one last one right by my house since my 240 won’t be installed until later this week ☹.

I just want to thank everyone for their help and reassuring me that everything will be ok.
Here are three photos from the trip. First one was at a rest stop, to adjust my seats better and the second was my FIRST charge ever. It was at a EA site. Man those cables are freaking heavy. It took me at least five tries to get the car close enough so the cable would not rest on the car. It is weird not having rolling motion like a normal car to inch closer. The best part was there was another etron charging🤣.

Attachments

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hi everyone, sorry for not posting yesterday. But it was my drive day.

Went to to the dealership at noon and was on the road at 2:30! Small hiccup getting the myAudi app to work. That took the longest.

Drove the 350 miles in 7 hours, with 2 stops at the EA chargers. I did one last one right by my house since my 240 won’t be installed until later this week ☹.

I just want to thank everyone for their help and reassuring me that everything will be ok.
Here are three photos from the trip. First one was at a rest stop, to adjust my seats better and the second was my FIRST charge ever. It was at a EA site. Man those cables are freaking heavy. It took me at least five tries to get the car close enough so the cable would not rest on the car. It is weird not having rolling motion like a normal car to inch closer. The best part was there was another etron charging🤣.
Contratulations! An EA charger near your house? How lucky is that! My closest one is about 4 miles away. Yes, I think the difficulty in being able to "nudge" the car under control, as opposed to free rolling, is one of the most disappointing aspects of driving the E Tron. It definitely makes finessing the car difficult and complicates parallel parking!

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
492 Posts
I'm 18 miles away from the nearest EA charger so both of you are lucky in my book

·
Registered
267 Posts
Can't you disengage brake assist or brake hold (forgot what they call it) to nudge closer to the charger. Doesn't that 'free wheel' the vehicle so that when you step on the brake it doesn't hold on to the brake when you release it? You'd have to be careful doing that if that's the case since the car does like to roll if the brakes aren't applied. I have the setting as a shortcut for when I go to a car wash.

It's actually something I wanted to try because it is a pain with the brake assist fighting you every time you hit the brakes. Happened to me just last night at a restaurant. I'm still learning to judge my front distance and it's difficult and not particularly smooth the way it is now. In fact I think I'd be a bit embarrassed with passengers, other than my wife, in the car. They'd think I'm just learning how to drive. ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can't you disengage brake assist or brake hold (forgot what they call it) to nudge closer to the charger. Doesn't that 'free wheel' the vehicle so that when you step on the brake it doesn't hold on to the brake when you release it? You'd have to be careful doing that if that's the case since the car does like to roll if the brakes aren't applied. I have the setting as a shortcut for when I go to a car wash.

It's actually something I wanted to try because it is a pain with the brake assist fighting you every time you hit the brakes. Happened to me just last night at a restaurant. I'm still learning to judge my front distance and it's difficult and not particularly smooth the way it is now. In fact I think I'd be a bit embarrassed with passengers, other than my wife, in the car. They'd think I'm just learning how to drive. ;)
First thing I turned off was the brake assist. So much better without it. Especially for reversing.

·
Registered
267 Posts
First thing I turned off was the brake assist. So much better without it. Especially for reversing.
I actually like it for the many times I'm stopped at a light. But if it makes things easier to pull up to a charger or parking, I can disengage it via the shortcut. So I'm assuming you have less of an issue pulling forward to a charger or parking?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Congrats on picking up the ride, looks nice in white with this wheels. Florette Silver was my first choice but upon seeing the White with Brown interior and Silver trim, I actually preferred it to the blackout look. Wish I could have gotten the wheels that came in the dark trim package, oh well. Looking good! Should have a EA station coming online about 1/2 mile from me. Got the text a few days ago about it, but when I drove over there, the screens says unavailable. Guess we have to wait a little longer.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts