Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I expect the wire for my outlet to be copper. Pretty sure it will be really expensive, as I have to cross three bays of garage. I will just be happy to get it done.

All of the wire in my house is copper except for for the aluminum line to a 100-amp sub-panel. Maybe I need to take a look at those connections once in a while.

·
Registered
2021 Sportback Siam Beige
19 Posts
All of the wire in my house is copper except for for the aluminum line to a 100-amp sub-panel. Maybe I need to take a look at those connections once in a while.
All circuit sizes in North America (14-10 AWG) for homes are in copper, and have been since the early 80's. The difficulty terminating aluminum, and the lack of 15-20 amp devices that are rated for aluminum cable exceed any cost savings. Plus, issues with aluminum wire in the 70's (long-long story) in residential applications, have had many home insurers put clauses in their policies, penalizing homes with any circuit sized feeds, wired with aluminum.

However, the utility feed into the main breaker is almost always aluminum. The lugs are rated for it, and all professional contractors know how to install it. Same with sub-panels, and occasionally stoves or dryers.
PLEASE do not try to re-torque the main lugs. It will do more harm than good. If the cable was installed correctly, it will perform the same as a copper connection. If you are at all concerned, see if you can borrow a Flir camera, and see if the connection is running hot. All of the connections in the panel, that are carrying current, will be warmer than ambient temperature...but if there is an issue with any connection, it will scream hot on the screen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
All circuit sizes in North America (14-10 AWG) for homes are in copper, and have been since the early 80's. The difficulty terminating aluminum, and the lack of 15-20 amp devices that are rated for aluminum cable exceed any cost savings. Plus, issues with aluminum wire in the 70's (long-long story) in residential applications, have had many home insurers put clauses in their policies, penalizing homes with any circuit sized feeds, wired with aluminum.

However, the utility feed into the main breaker is almost always aluminum. The lugs are rated for it, and all professional contractors know how to install it. Same with sub-panels, and occasionally stoves or dryers.
PLEASE do not try to re-torque the main lugs. It will do more harm than good. If the cable was installed correctly, it will perform the same as a copper connection. If you are at all concerned, see if you can borrow a Flir camera, and see if the connection is running hot. All of the connections in the panel, that are carrying current, will be warmer than ambient temperature...but if there is an issue with any connection, it will scream hot on the screen.
Good info - thanks!

·
Registered
658 Posts
I expect the wire for my outlet to be copper. Pretty sure it will be really expensive, as I have to cross three bays of garage. I will just be happy to get it done.

I recall being impressed by the cost of running #6 wire in conduit up to the ceiling, across just ONE bay, and down a support post. Actually had one tight bend, which ended up being a bigger problem than I ever thought it would be, but #6 is pretty thick. I don't recall the price for the #6 wiring portion of the work. I had to do this as part of a full panel upgrade....talk about pricey! And now I read that Audi is changing the location of the charging ports on all of its future EVs!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you want some good information on EVSE (chargers) review the videos at this site. Although this one talks about ID.4 there is a lot of good information:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just picked up the e-Tron this afternoon. Hmmm - to be precise my wife picked up her new e-Tron. I am not sure when I will get to drive it.

I really like the color. Now if I can figure out all of the electronic bells and whistles all will be good.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I really like the color. Now if I can figure out all of the electronic bells and whistles all will be good.
The great thing about that is that it gives you an excuse to cancel everything and just sit in the E Tron cabin (while learning all the bells and whistles, of course).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That is right! The Audi does a lot of the same things as my BMW, but the controls are all different. I will have to learn two completely different systems. I am looking forward to it!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts