Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
E-tron 50 S Line, Daytona Grey
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've just joined the forum, having got my new E-tron 50 in July, with nowhere to go due to lockdown. Since then I've covered a whole 1,400 miles!

My journeys range from 2-3 miles to +/-60 miles. I'm sure you've all discussed this before, but, what is the real m/kwh I should expect? I tend to get 2.1 to 2.5 and that doesnt feel particularly good given the display on the car goes up to around 20. It doesnt really change much with driving style, other than in sport , when it drops to 1.4 ish.

When I got the car I decided I woudl drive it exactly as I have all my previous cars, just because its an EV, I shouldnt change anything. I'm now thinking this is wrong as I essentially have a very expensive round town run around, from which I can cover about 120-140miles!

Is what I'm experiencing reflective of everyone else, or is there something wrong with mine (other than me for driving it wrong!!)

Any experience, help and advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also got an E-Tron 50 in July and have covered 2300ish miles. I have seen anything from 1.7 on short 1-2 mile trips, to 3.0 on 170 mile M-Way and B road trips. Basically in short trips you are not getting the battery warmed up to reach peak efficiency and 120 miles of range is to be expected.

If you drive sensibly on longer mixed road drives, then you will get up to 2.7 in UK Autumn conditions for normal range driving. Short trips to the shops and back a few times a day will kill the range stone dead. For me I end up doing a mix of both and am getting ~160 miles of range at 2.5 Mi/kwh (64Kw usable battery X 2.5 mi/kwh = 161 miles.

·
Registered
294 Posts
When warmed up, I will typically get 2.1 to 2.5 mi/KWh. As the weather turns colder I find I minimize cold-related mileage loss by using a timer to charge the car and condition the cabin (using wall current) prior to my departure time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I also got an E-Tron 50 in July and have covered 2300ish miles. I have seen anything from 1.7 on short 1-2 mile trips, to 3.0 on 170 mile M-Way and B road trips. Basically in short trips you are not getting the battery warmed up to reach peak efficiency and 120 miles of range is to be expected.

If you drive sensibly on longer mixed road drives, then you will get up to 2.7 in UK Autumn conditions for normal range driving. Short trips to the shops and back a few times a day will kill the range stone dead. For me I end up doing a mix of both and am getting ~160 miles of range at 2.5 Mi/kwh (64Kw usable battery X 2.5 mi/kwh = 161 miles.
This. Which perfectly sums up my experience with the 50 too. Funnily enough, it reflects the same experience I've had running ICEs. Approaching autumn/winter, the efficiency will drop but preconditioning the car before journeys will help to reduce consumption on the move.

I've switched from auto regen to manual too. Personal preference, which has improved the car's efficiency for me.

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55 2020. Jaguar iPace HSE 2019.
131 Posts
I've posted about this elsewhere. Ours is a 55, heavier than the 50 so maybe a bit worse. Wife is the main user, she's obviously very lead footed, average over the first 1500 miles is under 2 miles / KWh, so with the 55 battery usable maximum range is about 165-170. And that's Autumn. When the temps drop to 5 or less each day and she's got the heaters on I'm expecting it about about 150. Which is truly terrible.

By way of balance, when I drive the eTron, the very best I can get is when driving incredibly frugally about 2.3. My daily is an iPace, a bit lighter, more slippery, different regen strategy - but I find it easy to get 2.8-3.0 on similar routes, and my long term average in the iPace over 10k miles is 2.7, including mileage over two autumns and a winter. The eTron is not efficient in comparison.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ours is a 55, heavier than the 50 so maybe a bit worse.
The other week I had a courtesy etron 55 for a couple of days. It was noticably heavier. The steering wasn't as light or playful as the 50's. I had to check the specs to make sure it wasn't my imagination and I was surprised to find there's only 150-200kg difference between the 50 and 55 - I expected a bigger difference. The 55 certainly coasts better than the 50 and the additional power was nice although both models are plenty fast enough on our UK roads.

The 55 was equipped with the 'aero' 20" wheels and digital wing mirrors so I expected better efficiency but only managed approx 2.3m/KWh on the 55. Getting back in to the 50 and I was able to get the usual 2.5KWh+.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If I recall the 50 is about 5-6% more efficient than the 55 (on paper).

E-Tron 55 = 385 Wh/mi
E-Tron 50 = 365 Wh/mi

Just this morning I did a 37 mile commute that gave me 2.5 mi/kwh at ~7-8c. Motorway, A-road and a small bit of urban. The same trip in the summer at ~18c was giving me ~2.8mi/kwh, so about 15%-16% drop in efficiency. This is right where I expected it to be as the temperatures drop.

The thing is if people are getting much lower than this then they are speeding or doing nothing but short 1-2 mile trips. Or a mix of both :)

Sorry @GrahamS but if you get 2.3 while driving "incredibly frugally" then I would hate to see what you get driving "normally". ;)

There was a week were I hardly touched the car apart from short trips to the shops at ~1.8 - 1.9 mi/kwh. It was reporting I would get 130ish miles at 100% SoC. When I got around to a longer range trip of about 30 miles at 2.7mi/kwh the range was a touch higher when I got back :)

Though there is no boubt the E-Tron in all guises is an incredibly inneficent car. It is why I took a 2 year lease because by the time the lease is up the iD4 and Q4 will be out. Not a chance in **** I would touch a Telsa with the atrocious quality issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi All,
Thanks for the replies...it's interesting to see what you're all acheiving. The good news is that it doesnt look like I'm actually getting a bad result, even when I'm going a little faster than I shoudl! Thanks for the tip on changing to manual regen....I'll give that a try. Tomorrow I'll be doing a 130-140 mile round trip and I'm aiming to do it one one charge....will report back.

Using the timer for charging was mentioned above. Did I misunderstand the timer function??......I thought that by setting the departure time, say 8am, that the car would optimise its charging to be completed by then, i.e. if it would take 4hrs to charge, the chargign wouldn't start until 4am, even when the car is plugged in at 7pm the evening before? When I plug in at 7pm, with the timer set, I get an app message saying its charged by 11pm. This isn't a massive problem, as the car is charged.....the reason for the query is that I have an air source heat pump and its better for the electricity supply if the heat pump and car dont run too much at the same time.
Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts

Sorry @GrahamS but if you get 2.3 while driving "incredibly frugally" then I would hate to see what you get driving "normally". ;)

There was a week were I hardly touched the car apart from short trips to the shops at ~1.8 - 1.9 mi/kwh. It was reporting I would get 130ish miles at 100% SoC. When I got around to a longer range trip of about 30 miles at 2.7mi/kwh the range was a touch higher when I got back :)

Though there is no boubt the E-Tron in all guises is an incredibly inneficent car. It is why I took a 2 year lease because by the time the lease is up the iD4 and Q4 will be out. Not a chance in **** I would touch a Telsa with the atrocious quality issues.
Wife does a 60 mile round trip every day. Here's her efforts this week, that's miles / Kwh of course.

She's new to EVs. But I'm not, and I can't get it anywhere near the efficiency of the iPace.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I imagine if I had an I-Pace I would be getting even better efficiency than you are. Not a dig but it's all about driving styles. A friend got an E-Torn 50 a few days before me and his long term efficiency is 2.3 mi/kwh and mine is 2.6. For a while he was conviced his E-Tron must be faulty. The thing is I tend to have an average speed 10mph lower than his. My average over 2500 miles is 2.6mi/kwh at 30mph, his was 39mph.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I imagine if I had an I-Pace I would be getting even better efficiency than you are. Not a dig but it's all about driving styles. A friend got an E-Torn 50 a few days before me and his long term efficiency is 2.3 mi/kwh and mine is 2.6. For a while he was conviced his E-Tron must be faulty. The thing is I tend to have an average speed 10mph lower than his. My average over 2500 miles is 2.6mi/kwh at 30mph, his was 39mph.
Yes, may well be so. My iPace long term average (last 8k miles) is 2.6, don't know the average speed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is what I have as my long term.....maybe not that bad?

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I genuinely don't thinks it's good at all for an average speed of 23mph, unless that is all short 1-3 mile trips? I have 30mph and 2,6 mi/kwh over roughly 2500 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I genuinely don't thinks it's good at all for an average speed of 23mph, unless that is all short 1-3 mile trips? I have 30mph and 2,6 mi/kwh over roughly 2500 miles.
Several trips at 3-5 miles, then around 15-20 miles, then 30-55 miles.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi All,
Thanks for the replies...it's interesting to see what you're all acheiving. The good news is that it doesnt look like I'm actually getting a bad result, even when I'm going a little faster than I shoudl! Thanks for the tip on changing to manual regen....I'll give that a try. Tomorrow I'll be doing a 130-140 mile round trip and I'm aiming to do it one one charge....will report back.

Using the timer for charging was mentioned above. Did I misunderstand the timer function??......I thought that by setting the departure time, say 8am, that the car would optimise its charging to be completed by then, i.e. if it would take 4hrs to charge, the chargign wouldn't start until 4am, even when the car is plugged in at 7pm the evening before? When I plug in at 7pm, with the timer set, I get an app message saying its charged by 11pm. This isn't a massive problem, as the car is charged.....the reason for the query is that I have an air source heat pump and its better for the electricity supply if the heat pump and car dont run too much at the same time.
Thanks.
You are correct about the timer function. I have had the timer finish up an hour or so before the entered departure time, but your experience is way beyond that! Now, I am using the Audi-charger, so I cannot speak to other commercial chargers. From my perspective, are you sure you activated the timer before you plugged in the car? Based on my experience, when you turn off the car a screen pops up in the MMI giving you the option to start the heater or to set a timer. Any timer you have set up in MyAudi app and which you have enabled should appear. You press the desired timer and a red bar should appear at the top of the icon box to indicate that it is active. Then, when you plug the cable into the car, it should start flashing white five or six times while it negotiates with the charging box. At that point it should start to flash green RAPIDLY, indicating that the car is waiting for a timer (eventually the lights will go out). If you plugged the car in and, instead of it flashing rapidly, the green light pulses slowly, then the timer has not been set and your car has immediately started to charge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi all, so I've been on a few longer journeys in the last week since my original post. I've implemented the suggestions you made.....manual regen, driving slower, have done all journeys in efficiency mode and did not use cruise control.

Journey 1 = start range 147m. Total journey 188m. Charged 17.6kWh on return leg. Arrived home with 27m range remaining. Motor consumption = ave. 2.3 mi/kWh.
Journey 2 = start range 144m. Total journey 110m. Arrived home with circa 35m range remaining. Motor consumption = ave. 2.3 mi/kWh.

My feeling was that journey 1 was a bit of a let down. Journey 2 was ok. Both still only achieved 2.3 mi/kWh......I couldn't get any higher than that. Am I still doing something wrong.

Here are my journey summaries.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am getting 2.2-3.0 mi/Kwh. I drive mostly in economy /comfort mode. I have noticed the biggest contributing factor in getting good economy, especially in stop and go traffic is to control your acceleration. EV's have excellent torque off the line and that is fun to use but impacts your economy big time. If you can control the urge, try and feather your acceleration and keep the load value on the gauge below 50% during acceleration from a complete stop. This should help boost your economy some at the expense of some fun. When charged i usually see 180 mile range at 80% charge and have seen as high as 240 mile range at 100%

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am getting 2.2-3.0 mi/Kwh. I drive mostly in economy /comfort mode. I have noticed the biggest contributing factor in getting good economy, especially in stop and go traffic is to control your acceleration. EV's have excellent torque off the line and that is fun to use but impacts your economy big time. If you can control the urge, try and feather your acceleration and keep the load value on the gauge below 50% during acceleration from a complete stop. This should help boost your economy some at the expense of some fun. When charged i usually see 180 mile range at 80% charge and have seen as high as 240 mile range at 100%
Thanks for your input.....I've been trying to keep the acceleration down, but will try harder:) I have to make a repeat of one of my posted journeys this weekend, so will see what I get. The range you get is much better.....is yours a 55? Mine is the 50.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm not sure if the cooler, more turbulent weather is a culprit. I had a longer trip recently and couldn't get it above 2.4m/kWh in my 50. Whereas a few weeks ago in warmer, drier weather it would have been 2.6m/kWh or higher.
I also need to check the tyre/tire pressures...the car was delivered without the tyre pressure monitors set. So I'll be pumping up the tyres and enabling the MMI to monitor them. This might help.

Ultimately this is a heavy, thirsty, 4x4 beast of a car. I wouldn't be worried about your m/kWh results. I'm trying to just enjoy this marvellous car. Thankfully the GOM seems to be super accurate, more so than any ICE/PHEV car I've ever owned. So at least we have reliable info from GOM to know when to recharge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts