Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all and thanks for the membership. Strongly considering a new 50 as the deal dangled is too much to resist. We are coming from Phev to full ev albiet our normal range is relatively local. The wife's commute is 120 miles weekly and apart from that, the normal weekend running about "somewhat nil aka covid". My question is, will the car suffice for our limited needs, perhaps longer excursions.. two maybe three annually and of course, they would be planned journeys.
There will be the faster home charger supplied.

Our outgoing is the 530e and previous to that, the 330e, they worked out for us covering nearly all the weekday commute with a daily charge.
Is the e tron a decent reliable enough car? We're looking at April/May delivery but there's no opportunity for options, metallic paint and standard black leather interior, however, on the company scheme, pittance for what it is and compared to other Phev alternatives, they're far more expensive and subject to BIK... significant saving on the monthlys alone.

Any input appreciated and tips on specification etc.

Thanks, Mark.. twitchy bum lol..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, all and thanks for the membership. Strongly considering a new 50 as the deal dangled is too much to resist. We are coming from Phev to full ev albiet our normal range is relatively local. The wife's commute is 120 miles weekly and apart from that, the normal weekend running about "somewhat nil aka covid". My question is, will the car suffice for our limited needs, perhaps longer excursions.. two maybe three annually and of course, they would be planned journeys.
There will be the faster home charger supplied.

Our outgoing is the 530e and previous to that, the 330e, they worked out for us covering nearly all the weekday commute with a daily charge.
Is the e tron a decent reliable enough car? We're looking at April/May delivery but there's no opportunity for options, metallic paint and standard black leather interior, however, on the company scheme, pittance for what it is and compared to other Phev alternatives, they're far more expensive and subject to BIK... significant saving on the monthlys alone.

Any input appreciated and tips on specification etc.

Thanks, Mark.. twitchy bum lol..
We purchased a new Sportback 55 e-tron this month which we love - we have had S350 Merc / V8 GT Mustang then Porsche Macan S over last few years.
Build quality appears excellent- Re range we use the Satnav everywhere and just have had to plan plan (unlike with petrol) our big journeys.
We love the maturity of the drive and it’s peace (few dramas) we have already made savings on running costs £££.
We were going to go Tesla 3 but the organisation of buying and ordering etc was shocking and customer service very amateurish etc.It felt a numbers game with them.
When we got away from glass roof and the white leather we felt the quality of the car build was really poor.

hope the few comments help

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We purchased a new Sportback 55 e-tron this month which we love - we have had S350 Merc / V8 GT Mustang then Porsche Macan S over last few years.
Build quality appears excellent- Re range we use the Satnav everywhere and just have had to plan plan (unlike with petrol) our big journeys.
We love the maturity of the drive and it’s peace (few dramas) we have already made savings on running costs £££.
We were going to go Tesla 3 but the organisation of buying and ordering etc was shocking and customer service very amateurish etc.It felt a numbers game with them.
When we got away from glass roof and the white leather we felt the quality of the car build was really poor.

hope the few comments help
Thanks JBS. I'm with you on the Tesla thing. Their network is the only real advantage, saying that they're opening it up to all vehicles very soon. Vicki Henderson summed it up, Tesla is a computer wrapped in a car.. I was shocked at the build quality on a p100 in the Tesla boutique Berlin. too much to mention. A valid point though, anyone unlucky to experience problems with a tesla requiring it be sorted at a service centre are in for a shock. My friends model 3 had issues with the cameras, over the air updates couldn't sort it, they decided to recover the car, guess what? it was taken from liverpool to a centre down south. They got a loaner a day later, a good ol ICE 1series from Europecar lol.. the repair, took 3 weeks. In the end they replaced two of the camera and sensor units then.... weeks later, he had a slight twang, guess what? it could only be sent to a tesla dealer, guess where? Leeds. 2 weeks later its back and he rekons the customer service experience every call and email was below par, he's counting the days until he's out, oh, and his wife won't drive it, keeps severely braking as the cameras are constantly spooked and giving false reactions causing the braking. Looked at the E TRON today in a dealer, outside of course due to CV. Really impressed, my wife was a bit anxious about the size but having seen it has no issues and wants it sooner lol. I think its horses for courses, it looks like the car meets the needs of the average domestic driver. Cheers, Mark.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Usual Audi thing where coloured interiors are special orders and panoramic roofs are like rocking horse Sh etc or new car being built could take ages - we love it

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a personal lease on a 50 Technik. Great car, it's been largely faultless. The app is now a lot better than it was last year, and the mystery unlocking problem went away when I put a cover on my key.

I suggest you avoid the sunroof - they're prone to leaking. Virtual mirrors are a gimmick and also failure prone.

I've not regretted having the most basic specification at all. I think if there's anything I would like, it's probably the comfort and sound pack, and maybe the sports seats. Really though, Technik spec has everything you need.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a personal lease on a 50 Technik. Great car, it's been largely faultless. The app is now a lot better than it was last year, and the mystery unlocking problem went away when I put a cover on my key.

I suggest you avoid the sunroof - they're prone to leaking. Virtual mirrors are a gimmick and also failure prone.

I've not regretted having the most basic specification at all. I think if there's anything I would like, it's probably the comfort and sound pack, and maybe the sports seats. Really though, Technik spec has everything you need.
Base Technik 50 too. Is the standard sound system good?

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
260 Posts
Technik 50 here also. Very pleased with the spec (wish I'd have specced remote comfort pre-heating). Sound system is great, turn it up!

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
260 Posts
Yes you can still preheat from the app, but it uses the last used climate control setting, which can be a pain (in Spring/Autumn for example, you could be cooling your car on a cold frosty morning due to using cooling on during the warm daytime the day before).

Scheduling from the MMI works, but I've not used it that much so I'm not sure if/how this benefits from the remote comfort pre-heating option.

It was a £100 add on last time I checked, so a must have in my opinion. My local dealer says it cannot be retrospectively enabled after delivery either.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gotcha, something at least, our BMW was the same, the button operation on the remote fob instigated the pre con but like you said, only the last used temperature. We're really looking forward to it, the 5 series was a super machine but the boot was okay at best. Only found out on delivery that the facility to push back the rear seats was deleted as standard during production changes. No through load either.. we have three small dogs and a son regularly fishes overnight, his kit is ridiculous so the etron should make life easier at times.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
260 Posts
Ah yes you'll be used to it then, we're certainly used to the pre-con situation now.
You've a similar household to us! When shopping for an EV we found that the EV market didn't have many options catering for moving humans, luggage and dogs in comfort! The etron so far is proving ideal for our 2 hounds and son.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol, life eh. It's got many applications for modern life. Ticking many boxes right now but the icing on top is the deals right now bringing it into the fold far far cheaper in every aspect than the 530e. Did have range anxiety making the jump but quickly convincing ourselves it has more than enough range for our weekly needs on a single charge.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Base Technik 50 too. Is the standard sound system good?
It's fine. It's not as good as the Bose that I had in my previous A7 and S8, but it's plenty good enough. The B&O is next level though.

I've not had any trouble with the standard preconditioning. I keep my climate set to 18c during winter for efficiency reasons. On Friday it was -2c; I used the app to set the preconditioning going about 15 minutes before I was due to leave, and when I got into the car, it was fully defrosted and felt warm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah good point, keep it at a mid range climate, works for both climates/seasons etc. Its the frosty mornings mostly, cba standing with the dross clearing cars 😆 🤣 the beemers have spoilt us over the years lol.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Yeah good point, keep it at a mid range climate, works for both climates/seasons etc. Its the frosty mornings mostly, cba standing with the dross clearing cars 😆 🤣 the beemers have spoilt us over the years lol.
If you set up a charging timer via the MyAudi app and include the preconditioning option, then, when you use the timer to charge the car (the time you set is according to your Departure time), the car will charge and the cabin will be heated for 30 minutes around the Departure time. But, unlike starting preconditioning ad hoc, the car will draw current from the wall for the heating, so you can leave with a full battery AND a warm cabin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts