Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks

Did anyone else expect the center lightbar (the one similar to the e-tron) on the tailgate to actually light up?

As per the marketing photos

Ours is not really reflective and doesnt light up under any conditions.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is normal for all manufactures but Audi are among the very worst. They send cars with massive numbers of extras and most mainstream reviews somply don't point out that the lovely features they are showing off are not standard (Carwow utterly suck for this). This is why it is important to do research and avoid the vast VAST majority of mainstream reviews for anything even remotely "factual". You also need to read the specs and description of each trim level before hitting order.

In short, without the Matrix lights update you will not get the full width light bar to light up.

Here in the UK the standard Sport and S-Line models do not get.
Fancy light bar
Dynamic lights
Matrix lights
Electric seats
Adaptive cruise
Reversing camera
Front parking sensors
Adjustable boot floor (no trim level gets this as standard)
Hexagonal steering wheel
Regen adjust paddles
Advanced bluetooth
Acoustic glass

I could go on but you get the point. It's Audi and if you want it you have to pay for it. So when you see a Q4 40 starting at £45K then you know that when you spec it to get these features the reviews imply are "standard", you can add another £10,000 to the price.

It would be unfair to say people need to do better research but I blame both Audi and the mainstream car reviewers who are so poor at holding Audi (and others) to account.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not going to lie, we did very little research into the model.

The reason for this is that the car was on special offer, pre ordered and no option to make any adjustments so there wasnt much wiggle room.

And I mean, at £349 a month with no deposit, servicing, insurance and tyres included it's still an absolute steal of a car that were loving owning.

I'm just surprised that a car that's retail is heading towards 50 grand doesnt even include a functioning light, even though they have still installed it, a mmi you cant log in to and locations for front parking sensors but no actual sensors is very strange.

Some things I can understand the optional and money making potential (e.g. alloys) but 4 ultra Sonics?, for an OEM sourcing from a Tier 1 supplier will be literally pence.

·
Registered
114 Posts
One thing to add to the above, is that Audi list what each item does when you are in the configurator. Sometimes that is the only clue that you need to delve deeper.

In your example it is only when reading what the Matrix Lights add do you realise it says something like, "full width illuminated rear light bar". When I read that my alarm bells started ringing in a "wait, why is it specifically saying that as if it's some sort of extra feature, because they all do that right... right"? So I remember having to trawl through Q4s on Autotrader UK to find a video of a "standard" one without the matrix lights and lo and behold, no fancy full width animated and illuminated light bar.

The same thing surfaced recently when people discovered it was only review samples and the special demo First Edition models that came with the acoustic glass in the UK. We could try and claim bait and switch but the truth is Audi's small print on the configurator has them covered.

The best way for anyone who is ordering a Q4 (or any car), is to 100% recognise that if it isn't specifically mentioned in the configurateor, then you ain't getting it and there is no legal comeback.

"So what is your complaint sir and or madam"?
"My car doesn't have the acoustic glass, or the fancy fully iluminated full width light bar all the reviews were mentioning."
"Ah yes, well did it say in our configurator that the model you configured DOES come with acoustic glass or the full width light bar"?
"No but the reviews"
"Sorry sir and or madam, the order sheet you received would have specifically indicated what the car you configured comes with".
"Well this is outrageous because those reviews implied these were standard features."

Research, research, research and by research I don't mean watch the utter drivel that Carwow or othe review sites shovel out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm not going to lie, we did very little research into the model.

The reason for this is that the car was on special offer, pre ordered and no option to make any adjustments so there wasnt much wiggle room.

And I mean, at £349 a month with no deposit, servicing, insurance and tyres included it's still an absolute steal of a car that were loving owning.

I'm just surprised that a car that's retail is heading towards 50 grand doesnt even include a functioning light, even though they have still installed it, a mmi you cant log in to and locations for front parking sensors but no actual sensors is very strange.

Some things I can understand the optional and money making potential (e.g. alloys) but 4 ultra Sonics?, for an OEM sourcing from a Tier 1 supplier will be literally pence.
I absolutely agree, even without a lot of these features it is a great car. But think of it this way, if they save a £100 per car and sell tens of thousands of them. I am always reminded of the story (urban myth) of a car company that was in the midst of a recession asking workers how they could save money. One of the guys on the factory floor suggested they only needed one reverse light. Of course the story continues that the car company saved millions and the factory floor guy got nothing.

·
Registered
442 Posts
In a similar vein. Our Launch edition has front sensors fitted, but they don't work, Audi customer services have suggested we take this up with the dealer, to see if they can be retro connected. It's also minus a rear view camera.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey folks

Did anyone else expect the center lightbar (the one similar to the e-tron) on the tailgate to actually light up?

As per the marketing photos

Ours is not really reflective and doesnt light up under any conditions.

I’m in the same boat unfortunately. I asked two separate dealerships to clarify the rear light bar worked as standard and both assured me it did. So disappointing.

Does anyone know if the light bar can be retrofitted after delivery?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have queried this with Audi UK Customer Services. If you don't have this, there is a Functions on Demand service which allows you to pay for the lighting upgrade (Monthly-Year-or for the lifetime of the car). But, Audi don't seem to be able to show this as available yet. It's all baby steps at the moment.

This pre supposes the car has actually got the hardware in place, but if it does, and Audi should be able to confirm this, then you are good to go.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure on retro fitting but most likely not without the matrix upgrade.

I'm more surprised than disappointed really. It improves the visual appeal of the car & they are installing a light bar either way so they should remember the car is a mobile advertisement for their cars. This is partly why the industry moved away from steel wheels years ago.

The rear light bar wont make people pay for the full matrix upgrade and the people who want the matrix upgrade will primarily pay it for the front lights rather than the back.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the hardware is completely present and it's literally a software flag to turn it on, then that's absolutely barmy.

When 90% of owners wont even realise it doesnt work, driving around for years with standard lights making the car look worse from behind where most potential new customers will get to have a good look at it.

Effectively means Audi are paying to install equipment that may in the end never even be used. Their management should have words

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was really annoyed when I found out about the lack of accustic glass as an option for UK non demo cars given how all the reviews mention how quiet the car is.

The lightbar is also a bit crappy from Audi - why have it there if it's not doing anything? Is it just a red bit of plastic with no bulb in? No sane person would expect a rear light which dosn't actually do anything unless optioned, surely?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have queried this with Audi UK Customer Services. If you don't have this, there is a Functions on Demand service which allows you to pay for the lighting upgrade (Monthly-Year-or for the lifetime of the car). But, Audi don't seem to be able to show this as available yet. It's all baby steps at the moment.

This pre supposes the car has actually got the hardware in place, but if it does, and Audi should be able to confirm this, then you are good to go.
thanks for your reply. Accordingly to my recent Audi correspondents, cars without matrix lights won’t come with the hardware. To quote, “Cars with standard LED lights come with a Polymer strip between the light modules”.

I wonder if a company could retrofit the light bar. I’m not too fussed about the fancy matrix functionality but I’m gutted the light bar won’t work at all :(

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wonder if anyones had the boot lid trim off yet to confirm whether theres a harness plug for the light bar on non matrix cars.

If there is then future retro could be possible without to much hassle (hardware wise)

If theyve also increased harness variants to remove plugs then it would be a right pain to add it back in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would really like a confirmation wether or not the LEDs are actually in there or not. If they are I'm hopeful that they will enable them to be purchased through the app or dealership. I feel like I bought a house with doors to rooms in it that are locked😅. To me this should not be an extra because it is such a vital part of the overall look of the car. I do get that they charge that much extra for the Matrix headlights, and that they are an optional extra, because they are completely different and with intricate technology and function. There is no trim level here available that has the Matrix package as a standard so in order to get them you would have to special order a car and wait I don't know how many months. Disappointed about this but otherwise very happy with the car

·
Registered
69 Posts
I absolutely agree, even without a lot of these features it is a great car. But think of it this way, if they save a £100 per car and sell tens of thousands of them. I am always reminded of the story (urban myth) of a car company that was in the midst of a recession asking workers how they could save money. One of the guys on the factory floor suggested they only needed one reverse light. Of course the story continues that the car company saved millions and the factory floor guy got nothing.
Ha Ha.. I'm pretty sure that that is not an urban myth. When I was a lad (apprentice) We were taken on a tour of the Ford factory in Dagenham. During the tour our guide told us that Ford ran a 'programme' that encouraged employees to suggest ways that they would improve productivity and cut costs on the production line. Removing one pesky light from the car saves time and money. As a footnote, he also told us that they found out that some employees who ordered cars were getting their mates to mark the car after it came out of the paintshop so that they had to respray it. That way their car had two layers of paint on it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I confirm that there are no led lights within the taillight line. In the photos you can see two cars. One with matrix led (gray) and one without matrix led (white). In the interior area marked in blue there is a plastic with LEDs inside. In one photo it is and in the other it is not. Conclusion. There is no hardware.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Grille Vehicle

Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for posting the photo
Hello. I confirm that there are no led lights within the taillight line. In the photos you can see two cars. One with matrix led (gray) and one without matrix led (white). In the interior area marked in blue there is a plastic with LEDs inside. In one photo it is and in the other it is not. Conclusion. There is no hardware. View attachment 3951
View attachment 3952
Thanks for posting the photos. If I ever get my Q4, removing the rear light bar and fitting LEDs inside it will be the first thing that gets 'put right':mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
It’s really silly of Audi to do this. I can understand paying more for matrix functionality, but for the rear light bar to not to light up at all is disappointing. I’ve come to terms with it as you don’t see it when driving. But if you’re keen to get the rear lights retrofitted, there is a company in Germany offering to do it for 899 Eur KUFATEC

·
Registered
Q4 45 e-tron quattro
22 Posts
One thing to add to the above, is that Audi list what each item does when you are in the configurator. Sometimes that is the only clue that you need to delve deeper.

In your example it is only when reading what the Matrix Lights add do you realise it says something like, "full width illuminated rear light bar". When I read that my alarm bells started ringing in a "wait, why is it specifically saying that as if it's some sort of extra feature, because they all do that right... right"? So I remember having to trawl through Q4s on Autotrader UK to find a video of a "standard" one without the matrix lights and lo and behold, no fancy full width animated and illuminated light bar.

The same thing surfaced recently when people discovered it was only review samples and the special demo First Edition models that came with the acoustic glass in the UK. We could try and claim bait and switch but the truth is Audi's small print on the configurator has them covered.

The best way for anyone who is ordering a Q4 (or any car), is to 100% recognise that if it isn't specifically mentioned in the configurateor, then you ain't getting it and there is no legal comeback.

"So what is your complaint sir and or madam"?
"My car doesn't have the acoustic glass, or the fancy fully iluminated full width light bar all the reviews were mentioning."
"Ah yes, well did it say in our configurator that the model you configured DOES come with acoustic glass or the full width light bar"?
"No but the reviews"
"Sorry sir and or madam, the order sheet you received would have specifically indicated what the car you configured comes with".
"Well this is outrageous because those reviews implied these were standard features."

Research, research, research and by research I don't mean watch the utter drivel that Carwow or othe review sites shovel out.
"Buyer Beware"

I was very careful when I checked the standard spec. of my August 2022 Q4. Not an easy matter if it is not your first language and Audi make it as unclear as possible what you will and won't get.

I got rear but not front parking sensors; I was furious but I would not have spent £1,600.
The stylish rear light bar does not light up unless you spend £1,300 for the 'disco lighting' package.

However, unless you order the 3 zone ventilation control option (£1,000) there is no central, floor, adjustable air vent to the rear cabin.

We are talking Audi here, aren’t we?

Yes, I forgot to notice if rear ventilation was standard! But then again, I didn’t ask if there were 4 windows and if they all opened! And it didn’t say.

I don't agree there is no legal comeback if there can be a reasonable expectation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts