Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 R8 V10 Cabriolet, 2015 RS7
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Enjoying the forum. Long time Audi owner. Currently have a 2015 RS7 in Matte Daytona Gray and a 2014 R8 V10 Cabriolet in Daytona Gray Pearl in the garage. But my ChargePoint Flex is already installed in the garage on a 60 amp breaker. Hopefully, it gets put to work by late summer. GT with Presfige+ Performance and Leather. Daytona Gray Pearl exterior (I tried to get Matte but Audi wouldn’t budge this year) and Arras Red interior. Took a hard look at the Taycan and thoroughly enjoyed the test drive, but the design didn’t float my boat.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. I know about XPEL. I have it on both cars I already own, and I have already identified a shop near my dealer where my car will go straight after it arrives for XPEL+ceramic. But I am not a big fan of wraps that change color or finish. Unfortunately, XPEL matte wrap is 3x the thickness of the standard protective wrap. Its edges are clearly visible inside doors, and hoods. Just not for me.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I guess it's just me, but I'll never understand these matte finishes. My wife & I saw 2 Mercedes in the last couple of days with the matte finish (not sure if it was a wrap or came that way) and we both agreed they look more like a finish that was heavily worn than anything.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess it's just me, but I'll never understand these matte finishes. My wife & I saw 2 Mercedes in the last couple of days with the matte finish (not sure if it was a wrap or came that way) and we both agreed they look more like a finish that was heavily worn than anything.
I think that many matte finishes are in fact unsatisfactory, including ones I have seen from Benz, Porsche, and Range Rover. But DG Matte is in my view a beauty:
42E0E90B-C78F-4FEA-A8CB-EA6C596F8C59_1_201_a.jpeg 885A8DEF-5CE2-42DA-B0EB-B8612CAFB653_1_201_a.jpeg 848268F4-E7F1-403D-80E9-779D0B13BB7D.jpeg
My wife said that Audi ought to call it "Graphite," because it has a sheen like pencil lead. But hey, this is all about personal taste, right? To each their own; cheers! 🍻

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that's much nicer. It's almost like a satin finish for lack of a better description.
Yep. Audi puts all these “metallic” flakes in it. Even in the dark, if there is any light, it glows. It’s not glossy, but it does diffuse the light softly. I’ve seen a “good” matte wrap, and it doesn’t hold a candle to Audi OEM paint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts