Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Not sure if this belongs here so apologies for this.
I will make a formal intro to my new to me E-tron in the other bucket for introductions too

In short, I am very confused with Octopus!
I have had my Ohme charger fitted this morning and was looking at switching to Octopus.

Currently we are on a gas/electricity dual-tariff and so when asking for a quote from Octopus, it asks:
Postcode (My postcode)
Energy (gas&elec)
Type of Meter (Smart)
Energy Use (High)

I have a AM110R which is coming up as an Elster Smart Meter whatever that is.

It says Oct Go is an Elec only smart tariff. for gas, simply choose any octopus gas tariff so do I need to sign up to an Elec only tariff and then a gas only tariff ?

I also notice overall, the tariff is more expensive outside of the 12:30am to 4:30am to what I am currently on.
Unit date outside the above is 16.26p /kwh vs my current 15.05p /kwh so I probably need to do a few calcs on whether 5px4 hours is worth the switch if I'm paying 1p/kwh extra for the other 20 hours given it's a £60 exit charge from the current plan.

Could someone drag me out of black hole of confusion please :) I am not finding a way to contact a human @ Octopus either but still trawling through FAqs so may find this eventually

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55 2020. Jaguar iPace HSE 2019.
182 Posts
What's your current overnight rate?

AFAIK that meter is a SMETS2 meter so should be OK with Octopus.

You can have Elec on Go and Gas on any Octopus Gas tariff, or a third party

To contact a human at Octopus just call them up. 0808 164 1088

Referral code if you want one: share.octopus.energy/steel-gull-405

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Graham,
Interesting - even though it has a s/n starting with K and a date code of 2013 on the meter (fitted in 2015)?

Thanks for the number, I literally found it a minute after posting the above so I will call them up

In terms of overnight cost - it's the same all day/night
Rate Name: Anytime
Measurement: 15.04909 p/kWh
Standing Charge: 21.2 p/day

·
Registered
182 Posts
OK that might be an older meter then, sorry. They can tell you though. If it's a SMETS1 they can't use that one, youlll need a meter change.

Ref the rates: Go is 5p / unit x 4 hours x however many units you want to put in. The difference between that and the same load at standard rate gives you the 'saving' from using Go.

If you can make use of the extra hour then Go Faster is 5.5p for 5 hours, it's invite only for existing Go or Agile customers. I'm on it with an Ohme, here it is working as intended:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah thanks!
I have filled in the form to get it upgraded with the current providers so I'll see what they come back with in terms of upgrading it

Am I correct in saying SMETS or not, it is not smart enough to know what is using the elec...ie in those 4-5 hours, I could run the car charging, washing machine and anything else that can run in the background at the lower rate ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
No it won't know what's using the load. You can run whatever you like. I have two EVs, elec heaters, washing machine, tumble drier and dishwshers all running in that window, plus some underfloor elec heating in the winter.

You can get close to finding out your loads by using smart plugs for your high load appliances, plus the Ohme will tell you the car load. If you do go for smart plugs please buy a high quality brand rated for 13A continuous. Cheap ones have been known to melt or catch fire. Not something you want. I use the TP Kasa ones but others available.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again - no issues with the smart plugs, I have the house entirely home automated so every plus socket is already monitored
The fact I can then almost automate a wash or dry or dishwasher in that window might make a huge difference on a cheaper tariff

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks again - no issues with the smart plugs, I have the house entirely home automated so every plus socket is already monitored
The fact I can then almost automate a wash or dry or dishwasher in that window might make a huge difference on a cheaper tariff
I've had more luck with the appliances using the built in timers ("start in 6 hours") rather than smart plugs, they don't start automatically when the power comes on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good point!

Back to the tariff - so is it a case of switching first to gas/elec and then its an invite from Octopus to join the EV tariff?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good point!

Back to the tariff - so is it a case of switching first to gas/elec and then its an invite from Octopus to join the EV tariff?
If you sign up online (using my referral code will get us both £50) you can sign up for GO straight away. Once you're on GO then ask for the transfer to Go Faster if you want teh extra hour. But you'll need a SMETS2 meter first.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Link to the GO pages

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got it thanks - so the sticking point for now is the meter - lets see what the current provider come back with

Used your link and on the basis of the estimated units from the last bill:

Octopus Quote following your link:
Unit rate
19.38p per kWh X
5,800 kWh actual usage
= £1,124.21

Standing charge
23.33p per day X 365 days = £85.16

Total: £1209.37

Current:
Unit rate
15.045p per kWh X
5,800 kWh actual usage
= £872.90

Standing charge
21.20p per day X 365 days = £77.38

Total: £950.28

Oct is £259 more as it stands now.

I'll do some calcs on the washer/dryer as this is the only thing that would move to the 4-5 hour window... If it does not equal or better the £259 difference, I can't see any point switching just yet.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Pointless switching now if the 24H unit rate is higher. Avreed. These tariffs are for smart meter users, Unless you have that the benefits are low.

FWIW my Go daytime rate is about 14.8p, EV 5 hour window rate is 5.5 and standing charge 25p, but there's been an increase since then in the daytime rate.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wonder if they're pushing up the rates now that more are on it?
14.8 would have been enough for me to switch but bear in mind, the above quote is based on me selecting a smart meter so as a new customer, its still 5p more than you regardless of having a smart 1 or 2 meter

·
Registered
360 Posts
This is my current 24 hour rate, you might want to consider - if things wont work out with Octopus:

If so, another link here that will get you 50/50:

Similarly gas rate:

Only £25 each with this referral - its Utility Point - use referral code: Navy2229419

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
256 Posts
I wonder if they're pushing up the rates now that more are on it?
14.8 would have been enough for me to switch but bear in mind, the above quote is based on me selecting a smart meter so as a new customer, its still 5p more than you regardless of having a smart 1 or 2 meter
Wholesale prices are high this year which I imagine is the main driver to increase the day rate. You cannot compare current tariffs with tariffs signed upto last year or prior.

Looking at Octopus's Agile tariff it's very expensive compared with last year's unusually low unit costs. That said Outgoing Agile (export) is very generous this year which seems to confirm its a wholesale price thing driving up costs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts