Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
A drop in range of only 10% from 72>32 is extraordinarily good. Almost every BEV I‘ve seen & owned experiences a drop in range that’s significantly greater than that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just returned with 26 miles odometer but only 21 miles consumed from battery. Activated Climate Control via myaudi 28 minutes before departure.

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
141 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mathews, what’s your average range if you had to guess? I understand that range will vary depending upon weather, speed,etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well of course it depends on the trip, the charge, whether I prerun climate control, outside ambient temp, miles uphill and/or braking during the drive, etc. These two weeks I’ve been charging to 80%/176mi & driving about 25 odometer mi/day. Strangely enough, if I run 30 minutes climate control off wall power to reach cabin temp of 69 degrees & then drive my 25 odometer miles I see about 21 miles battery consumption on the dash readout upon return to my garage. I have not yet taken it on a trip requiring the full 100%/224 mile-range battery charge, but will post results when I do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I just came back from a test drive on a Premium Plus E-tron. It was all on level local streets in mostly slow traffic, driving in eco mode on for a total of about 15 minutes. The range went down 6 miles for a total distance traveled of about 3.5 miles. Not great. The temperature was in the upper 50s, so I'm not sure the issue of keeping the battery at 77 degrees should have been a major factor.

This is the only thing that gives me pause about this otherwise great car. The ride was undeniably smooth and ultra quiet.

Any thoughts from owners about the range issue? Should temps in the upper 50s really impact range as I saw it?
We have had our 2021 Premium Plus for about 6 weeks now and charge the vehicle to 80% which gives me an indicated range of 156 to 158 miles. Our experience in local driving has been pretty good with the range not going down precipitously. When we are on our freeways at 80mph that is another story but for urban driving, no problem, 156 mile range is more than enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yesterday I drove my new 2021 E-tron SUV 25 odometer miles but saw the range go down 38 miles (from 173 at the start to 135 upon return) with climate control set at 72 degrees. Most of the drive was on limited access roads with little braking. In the nine days I’ve had the car I’ve capped daily battery charging at 80%. Is this ratio of odometer mileage/battery mileage consumption normal? What am I missing here?
Did folks see the Edmunds article re: EPA ratings vs actual driving mileage? Every car but Tesla outdid the EPA predictions. Tesla responded that the car gets the predicted mileage if one ignores the battery meter and drives until it dies.

As far as the poster's report goes, a few observations for what they're worth.

I think the poster said there was very little braking. I'm sure someone will correct me if necessary, but I believe that braking is part of the cycle used to determine mileage ratings. So, it makes sense that one would not do as well as what the range rating suggests if you're not doing any recuperative braking during the trip in question.

The shorter the trip in question the less accurate the mileage is going to be because predictions based either on driving style, a la everyone but Tesla, or EPA rating, a la Tesla, depend upon average consumption over (an extended period of) time.

The guessometer is just that -- a predictive algorithm. A guess made by a computer. I own an e-Tron fastback (love it!) and a Ford Mach-e, and two Tesla Model 3's with a Porsche Taycan 4S on the way. The e-Tron is a comparative guzzler but still does quite well. The Mach-e is pessimistic as **** and says we don't have much charge, then it adjusts and we go another 80 miles. The Teslas just report remaining mileage based upon remaining battery and referencing the formulae established on the EPA test cycle. BTW, they report the most favorable results out of several runs of the cycle. The EPA allows companies to do this.

Do yourself a favor. Switch to monitoring the remaining battery instead of the predicted range and charge on a schedule comfortable for you. I can't recall the last time I carefully monitored the mileage prediction of my BMW X3 ICE vehicle (in the old days) and sweated whether I was getting the 19 mpg predicted of whatever it was. I just refilled when I was at a quarter tank and I never had the OUTRAGEOUS convenience of filling the take from the gas pump in my garage.

Of course, the points about warm batteries and weather apply.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
235 Posts
That’s one of the reasons I would love the battery % prominently displayed, not just an approximation. Over time you can start to learn how much battery it takes to make certain trips factoring in speed, elevation, weather, etc.

The GOM doesn’t have ESP, so if you’re traveling to work for a month and take a long road trip at highway speed it will start with an inaccurate reading.

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
45 Posts
There are several minor ways that the Audi e-tron is a step down from the LEAF, and this is one.
You can get the battery % on the center screen, and I often do and have a shortcut for it, but that is a waste of display.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Kudos to JNealCox for describing a typical trip perfectly in terms of odometer vs range estimate. We just got back from a drive of about 90 miles. At the start, no preconditioning, and a charge of 80%, the range indicated 195 miles. As we began to drive, I noted the range miles melting away. After about 10 miles driven, the range dropped about 17 miles. After that it turned around and by the end of the trip, we had 90 miles driven vs 97 off of the range. So a disparity of only 7 miles, all of which occurred at the beginning. Once that initial 10 miles had been driven, the range tracked as perfectly as I could have hoped for.

More importantly, the potholed roads in our immediate area, that were jarring in both my previous Tesla & I-Pace, seemed as if they had been smoothed over dramatically.

A truly wonderful car to drive...and even my wife had to say it's a wonderful car to ride in. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
There are several minor ways that the Audi e-tron is a step down from the LEAF, and this is one.
You can get the battery % on the center screen, and I often do and have a shortcut for it, but that is a waste of display.
Are you saying that the you can call up the main charging screen on the MMI that you would normally reach by going VEHICLE > CHARGING & EFFICIENCY > CHARGING with a shortcut?

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
45 Posts
Yes, that can be made a shortcut. Just like any other shortcut, see page 20 of the manual.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for the response WetEV. The shortcuts mentioned seem to be generated from the 3-dot "..." symbol or the 'hold an item in a list' function (although I am not sure what a 'list' is in this context).

The page opened from VEHICLE > CHARGING & EFFICIENCY > CHARGING doesn't have the 3-dot symbol (or at least I can't see it).

Maybe I am misreading the part of the manual to which you refer.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts