Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I set my e-tron to only charge between the hours of 12.30am and 04.30am to take advatange of the cheap off peak electrivity tariff that I have at these times? Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you have a home charger then you can set the charging times from the MyAudi app. You all so do it from inside the ETron. It works great and I charge at home for $0.06 USD. I am effectively getting a 100 miles per hour E.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Be aware that the way Audi does the timers is a little screwy to me. The time you set is your "departure time" ie, the time by which you want the charging to be completed. So, if you want it to charge between 1230am and 430am. Set the charging time for 430am. The car will start charging so that it will be finished with charging by 430am. The app gives you the option to have the car turn on your cabin temperature control so the the car will draw current from the wall (not the battery) to get your cabin to the temperature you desire for departure. (This is great in winter weather! Greatly improves my mi/kwh when I first start out driving.) If you don't plan to leave around 430am, you should probably turn off that option for the 430am timer. I usually set up a timer via the app, but turn on a timer from inside the car, since I have to go out to the garage to plug it in. You do that from the screen that pops up when you turn off the car. It will display the next "enabled" (you can enable or disable a timer via the app) timer for an upcoming date. Press the icon until you see a thin red bar appear on the icon. Then I plug in the charging cable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be aware that the way Audi does the timers is a little screwy to me. The time you set is your "departure time" ie, the time by which you want the charging to be completed. So, if you want it to charge between 1230am and 430am. Set the charging time for 430am. The car will start charging so that it will be finished with charging by 430am. The app gives you the option to have the car turn on your cabin temperature control so the the car will draw current from the wall (not the battery) to get your cabin to the temperature you desire for departure. (This is great in winter weather! Greatly improves my mi/kwh when I first start out driving.) If you don't plan to leave around 430am, you should probably turn off that option for the 430am timer. I usually set up a timer via the app, but turn on a timer from inside the car, since I have to go out to the garage to plug it in. You do that from the screen that pops up when you turn off the car. It will display the next "enabled" (you can enable or disable a timer via the app) timer for an upcoming date. Press the icon until you see a thin red bar appear on the icon. Then I plug in the charging cable.
Great, thanks. I wasn;t sure that if you set the car to be ready at 4.30am that it completes the charge by then and doesn't just start it when you plug it in the night before

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have a home charger then you can set the charging times from the MyAudi app. You all so do it from inside the ETron. It works great and I charge at home for $0.06 USD. I am effectively getting a 100 miles per hour E.
Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
... I usually set up a timer via the app, but turn on a timer from inside the car, since I have to go out to the garage to plug it in. You do that from the screen that pops up when you turn off the car. It will display the next "enabled" (you can enable or disable a timer via the app) timer for an upcoming date. Press the icon until you see a thin red bar appear on the icon. Then I plug in the charging cable.
Why do you have to go out to the garage to plug it in? Why not plug it in when you exit the car?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Why do you have to go out to the garage to plug it in? Why not plug it in when you exit the car?
Guess I need to clarify. What you ask is typically what I do. Once I have a timer set up via the app and am using it regularly, when I pull into the garage at the end of the day, I'll turn on the timer from the touchscreen in the car and plug the car in before going into the house. There have been a few occasions when I have decided later that I should charge the car. With COVID-19 and my typical driving routines I find I only need to charge it about once per week.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Great, thanks. I wasn;t sure that if you set the car to be ready at 4.30am that it completes the charge by then and doesn't just start it when you plug it in the night before
I think the car may always do an initial charging calculation when connected to the wall in order to determine the rate of charging. It needs to know when to start if it will finish by 4.30am, it’s always a bit of a panic when you’re going on a long trip and leave it plugged in the night before on 50% charge. I often end up waking up to check if the charging process is active in the middle of the night, and it’s worked the way people have said.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts