Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any real difference for using the paddles versus the brakes. Gently braking uses regenerative the same as using the left paddle. As long as you don't press the brake hard enough to use the pads, there seems to me to be no difference. So why would you ever use the paddles?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Some people like that "one pedal driving" feel. The most efficient way to drive is predictively, with coasting, as if it were an ICE car.

·
Super Moderator
131 Posts
I nearly always use the paddles downhill too, I find myself using them more and more on normal roads too.
Nice way to drive compared to Tesla, I rarely leave it in manual mode now, I find coasting better than when in manual and the car pulling back, that said I also like to one peddle sometimes.. With an Etron you get the option to do either and thats cool.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I really like the combination. Firstly, this car coasts great and the most efficient way to move forward is by coasting. Regenerative recapture wastes about 10% or so of the energy to heat--the Second Law of Thermodynamics will not be disobeyed! In areas with lots of cross streets or stop signs I'll drive with one of the two regenerative settings on all the time. This allows my speed ups and slow downs to be much more responsive and decreases the "foot peddle dance" back and forth. On the open road, I'll generally use the lowest Coasting setting and just roll along. Like others, going down hills I'll often use the paddles dynamically to maintain the desired speed without touching any peddles---"No Peddle Driving" as opposed to "One Peddle Driving". Some people criticize Audi for not putting a "One Peddle" regen setting on the paddles. It might be nice to have a "one peddle" driving option, but I think is would be a BAD idea to put it as a setting on the paddle. If you accidentally miscount your clicks, you might find yourself suddenly stopped in the middle of the freeway, which accidentally happened to me a few years ago when test driving an IBM i3. All I was doing was trying to adjust my foot to a more comfortable position! A "one peddle" feature might be added as an additional switch or screen touch. My other car is a manual transmission, and Coasting in the e-tron is a lot like full clutching in a manual car. Honestly the e-tron is like a combination manual and automatic, with a bit of something else mixed it. It is its own beast!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I find that using the paddles in combination with the brake pedal gets you more stopping power. Seattle is very hilly and it is handy for those down slopes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I’ve noticed that the rear brake light shows when the regenerative braking occurs, whereas the coasting setting (no regen) just lets the car keep rolling with no tail light. I always wonder what someone behind you must think when it looks like you’re riding the brake along a street with no obvious hazards.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would say everyone has to get used to the new ways these cars operate. How about that annoying period when headlights started shutting off after timing out, so everyone leaves their cars parked with the headlights on? Progress.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I already have a habit of using paddles to downshift either to slow down, or just for fun. So while the brake pedal + auto regen is the primary method for reducing speed, the paddle is handy to reduce some speed and get a bit of energy back in the battery. I know it's not a lot, but it's "free" energy that would otherwise be lost.

Personally, I do prefer the true one-pedal EV driving, as you might have in Kia or Tesla. Where you could almost never touch the brake during a typical drive. But in the Audi, it feels like a transitional feature for those coming from ICE -> EV. Hopefully, they at least add the option in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
let me get this straight, are you saying that light pedal press = regenerative braking?. I assumed the pedal was always barkeepers pads. I say this because very light pedal press at slow speed results in a grating sound from the wheels

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you have the paddles set to the lowest "coasting" level, then ALL braking occurs with the brake peddle, but all of that braking is with regen until you press hard on the brake peddle (if you have the "hold assist" activated, then that is when the hold assist icon appears in the cockpit display). As you paddle shift through to two other settings you can move about 25% first, and then 50% second, of the regen to the acceleration peddle, so that the car will start to slow as you lift off the acceleration peddle. I can't say that I have noticed any grating sound on my car when braking at slow speeds.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
let me get this straight, are you saying that light pedal press = regenerative braking?. I assumed the pedal was always barkeepers pads. I say this because very light pedal press at slow speed results in a grating sound from the wheels
On my car a light peddle press definitely engages regenerative breaking. You can see it on the display. It takes a firm press to engage the pressure pads.

·
Registered
52 Posts
because very light pedal press at slow speed results in a grating sound from the wheels
Regen seems to taper off at speeds lower than 5-8mph on the peddles. i.e. at full regen it will slow the car to a walking pace but not to a stop.
I think its the same with the brake pedal, so as to transition smoothly from motor regen to physical braking.
My car also audibly uses the pads+discs below 5mph, rolling up to a traffic light at slow speed then stopping for example.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts