Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our first snow event for my E-Tron - and I would love advice on handling (aiming for safety rather than thrills :)). Most of my trip today will be relatively flat, but right out of my driveway I face a steep downhill curve. Normally I use paddles all the way down to maintain the 25mph limit. But not sure what will be best in snow and ice to avoid skidding into the ditches lining the roadway.
Coming back home, up hill, I don't expect problems....
Or should I use my Honda pick-up which would be less expensive to repair :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
60 Posts
Our first snow event for my E-Tron - and I would love advice on handling (aiming for safety rather than thrills :)). Most of my trip today will be relatively flat, but right out of my driveway I face a steep downhill curve. Normally I use paddles all the way down to maintain the 25mph limit. But not sure what will be best in snow and ice to avoid skidding into the ditches lining the roadway.
Coming back home, up hill, I don't expect problems....
Or should I use my Honda pick-up which would be less expensive to repair :rolleyes:
Which car has snow tires? Use that one.

The key point for handling in the snow is the tires. Everything else is secondary. Rear wheel drive with snow tires is better than all wheel drive without snow tires. In Puget Sound lowlands, we don't get enough snow so most of the people don't have snow tires on. Even if you do, others do not.

In my case, I'd take the Leaf. Totaling a 2014 LEAF would be far cheaper than any significant damage to the 'Tron. Or wait for rain to return on Monday, if I could.

Reactions: TJL

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good tire advice, but sadly we have no snow tires on either car....and must make today's trip... we always had good luck using our old Honda CR-V up and down hills, so "assumed" the Audi would handle the hill as well. But going downhill, or even on flat terrain, with snow, would you use paddles or brakes?

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
206 Posts
the regeneration will kick in when you are using the brakes. Paddles will only provide minimal slowing of the vehicle.

I would use the real brakes since it affords more control and can provide actual caliper engagement to slow/stop vehicle.

Reactions: kataja

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
In general, I find the Audi Quattro system works great in snow, but I have not specifically done it in the E Tron. My thinking would be that the most familiar handling would be with paddles in manual mode and set to either the first (25%) or second (50%) regen-transfer setting, and then use the brake peddle for any additional braking. Without any regen on the accelerator, remember this car will COAST (ie, roll uncontrollably). Using one of the paddle settings should make it feel more like an ICE vehicle by producing the feel and control of engine drag.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts