• Yes

Votes: 48 28.4%
  • No

Votes: 121 71.6%
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I looked at Tesla several times over the past 4 years - first the Model S then the 3 and Y. Each time I approached the test drive with the mindset that I was finally going to pull the trigger and each time I couldn't bring myself to order something that poorly assembled and found their UI nice in the showroom but not so great on the road. I balked on the E Tron in 2019 due to the EPA range, where I live range matters. The range concern was largely due to the significant difference my friends who owned Teslas were getting in the real world compared to the EPA rating. After consuming all of the information I could find online I realized the delta between the E Tron and Model Y is not as great in the real world as it would appear. Happily, I recently park a Prestige Sportback in my garage 3 weeks ago and at this point couldn't be more pleased.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I looked at Tesla several times over the past 4 years - first the Model S then the 3 and Y. Each time I approached the test drive with the mindset that I was finally going to pull the trigger and each time I couldn't bring myself to order something that poorly assembled and found their UI nice in the showroom but not so great on the road. I balked on the E Tron in 2019 due to the EPA range, where I live range matters. The range concern was largely due to the significant difference my friends who owned Teslas were getting in the real world compared to the EPA rating. After consuming all of the information I could find online I realized the delta between the E Tron and Model Y is not as great in the real world as it would appear. Happily, I recently park a Prestige Sportback in my garage 3 weeks ago and at this point couldn't be more pleased.
Yes, I have a 2019 e tron, and my decision to pull the trigger was based on the range being "just enough". Hopefully, you have factored in the roughly 10% inherent battery range loss in cold weather (still quite reliable car to car, and possibly the industry best). Tack onto that another 10 to 15% loss due to cabin conditioning.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I owned 2014 Model S. Loved the car as it made driving easy and as it should be. Unfortunately, almost every part of the car broke down over 4 years. The main console/CPU gave out. They replaced it with another one, and I promptly saw all the prior owner's favorite places and addresses. That made me wonder about the privacy of my old unit that they took from me.

The small battery went out on me. The big battery went out on me. Had to wait for a weekend on that one to have a tow truck pull me out of a parking garage from four stories down. Got a replacement big battery pack. My driver seat started rocking a bit, so got that replaced. The motor had scraping sounds and had to be replaced. The battery coolant heater broke down and stranded us in another country before the winter holiday - had to have it towed quite a distance to get it back to a service center.

Even with all those issues, I appreciated the car and what it could do. I liked that i could remotely start the heat or AC. I liked that I could track where it was at any time. The touch screen interaction was quick and simple. (I really don't like twisting knobs and scrolling through the alphabet to enter my destination address on other cars. Geesh - it should be as easy as using a cell phone.)

I loved the free maintenance I got, and the free charging. And I loved making lasting relationships with the people working at the service center!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I owned a 2016 Model S and a 2019 Model 3 Performance. Unfortunately for me, I have a nearly incurable condition that forces me to buy new cars on a regular basis. I kept both the model S and the model 3 longer than anything I have owned before. The model S fell victim to my need for a diesel-powered truck (40' RV), and the model 3 performance fell victim to my wife never forgiving me for getting rid of the Model S. The only maintenance item either car ever had was the 12v battery (both had to be replaced under warranty.) Unfortunately, I could not find a used low mileage model S for a price I was willing to pay. We ended up with a 2022 E-Tron instead. I appreciate the quality and luxury of the E-Tron, but I miss the performance and technology of the Tesla's. That model 3 performance was just stupid fast and the most fun to drive.

If I had to choose between the E-Tron and a model S now, I would probably go with the Tesla.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had a Tesla Model 85D for 6 years.
I loved it. I guess I lucked out. Fast, quiet, comfortable. I used the AutoPilot every chance I got.
I often took coworkers out for drives in the “car of the future” and they were always impressed
Never a problem with any of the OTAs. At 4 years, the car politely told me it was time to replace the 12-volt battery. It was done free by mobile technician.
The only problem was the Supercharger converter at 4.5-year point. It was replaced for free.
I would have liked more storage inside, e.g. in the door panels.
I never tried a Model 3 or Y. The current Model S looks almost exactly like my 6-year old Model S, except for 6 more cameras and better AutoPilot and I wanted a new car.
I bought an e-tron GT this summer.
I liked the larger battery, the slightly longer range, and the 800-volt faster charging, not to mention the looks.
I do miss the larger trunk and hatchback of my former Model S.
For 2 months, experienced software problems and intermittent Audi servers, but I can finally enjoy my free charging from EA.
I almost bought a Porsche Cayman, but the GT was $25k cheaper with same equipment and Porsche was having worse time with software than Audi. Plus, I like having a few switches and not having to dig through 3 menu levels.

·
Registered
e Tron GT with lots of goodies
72 Posts
I marked myself as a former Tesla owner, although my GT doesn’t arrive til next week and I won’t be getting rid of the X (wifey needs a car now that we have two parasites in addition to the dog).

I’m glad I got the Tesla (late 2018 model X 100D, pre-Raven). It’s a great car, and I’ve never driven a mommy van (excuse me, SUV) that I’ve enjoyed that much. Even without the performance designator, Tessie is stupid fast, and being electric, quite responsive. The app, particularly with the latest updates, is getting quite nice, and there are some third party watch apps that are amazing. There’s always something to show off to new people (ok, ok, I admit using the whoopie cushion app frequently, but other gimmicks like santa mode or the dancing car are fun too). The over the air updates make it often feel like Christmas, never had a problem with them, the spacious interior is amazing and looks like a white rocket ship, and the doors that close with a touch of the brake are ridiculously and unbelievably convenient. Plus, those falcon wing doors… I feel like i’m in a car from my childhood cartoons (M.A.S.K. anyone?). Great sales service, since they transferred a deposit from Switzerland to Denmark when I signed a new job contract the day my Swiss car was supposed to be handed over to me. Autopilot’s also done great by me.

But I’m coming back to Audi (previous car was an S5) for a number of reasons already mentioned. That cabin noise was horrible, and the sheer number of people who tried to convince me it was because the engine was so quiet that I could hear the tires now… let’s just say, facepalm. Poor mechanical / tech service here in Denmark, going back multiple times for some issues (only one of which was ranger-friendly). A nice but not luxurious feeling in the cabin. Poor ride quality, relatively speaking. Autopilot phantom braking (yeah, both a pro and a con with that system, I know).

But mostly, I’m switching because when I got behind the wheel of the current Tesla options, none of them wowed me… but when I sat down in the GT, I didn’t EVER want to stop driving. So… there we have it. ;-)

·
Registered
94 Posts
That cabin noise was horrible, and the sheer number of people who tried to convince me it was because the engine was so quiet that I could hear the tires now… let’s just say, facepalm. Poor mechanical / tech service here in Denmark, going back multiple times for some issues (only one of which was ranger-friendly). A nice but not luxurious feeling in the cabin. Poor ride quality, relatively speaking.
Yep, the Tesla service center insisted on the same claims when I test drove the Model 3 and Model S last year. He tried to claim that the Model 3 was one of the quietest cars on the road. In my opinion, the Model 3 is just obnoxiously loud and too stiff of a ride to be a good daily driver. Maybe it'd be okay on perfect roads, but that's not something we have where I live. The Model S was quite a bit better, but was no quieter than my A4 I had at the time. And, the e-tron SUV is just another level of quiet and comfort.

·
Registered
e Tron GT with lots of goodies
72 Posts
Yep, the Tesla service center insisted on the same claims when I test drove the Model 3 and Model S last year. He tried to claim that the Model 3 was one of the quietest cars on the road. In my opinion, the Model 3 is just obnoxiously loud and too stiff of a ride to be a good daily driver. Maybe it'd be okay on perfect roads, but that's not something we have where I live. The Model S was quite a bit better, but was no quieter than my A4 I had at the time. And, the e-tron SUV is just another level of quiet and comfort.
I test drove a Y a few weeks ago. It’s head and shoulders better than the X in terms of noise, but yeah, also quite a stiff ride, and not very pleasant. The rep told me the 3 was also decent for noise with recent improvements, but not as quiet as the Y.

Still, when comparing with the Jaguar I Pace, the Q4 or the GT (the other cars I tested, albeit very different class vehicles for the most part) the Teslas… just didn’t cut it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Never owned a Tesla. And I never will.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We'll take that as a maybe then.
:giggle:
Well, for shits and giggles this summer, I signed up for Turo to rent and test drive a single-motor Model 3 with my brother in California for a 4 hour road trip. At 75 mph, “tire noise” in the cabin was so loud it felt as if I was whisked back to driving a (no offense) 1999 Honda Civic that just so happened to be electric. Though the ‘forward thinking’ minimalist design of the interior was refreshing for the first hour or so, the road noise kept me homesick thinking about how pleasant our e-tron is back home (NYC). Audi has officially won me over with their approach on design based on the in-cabin aeroacoustics. That may sound frou-frou, but it’s kind of like the feeling you get when you discover wearing noise cancellation headphones for the duration a very long flight for the first time.

Yeah. So maybe. lol

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've got nothing against Tesla per say, but I find their fan boys hilarious.

Ultimately Etrons and Tesla are wildly different vehicles in my book. And they offer and excel in completely different areas.

I chose an Audi for to me the cabin noise and physical buttons is the most important part of a car. I just don't think Teslas way of controlling the driving experience through a screen to be safe, but that's me. Nor do I like it. I want a luxurious cabin feel.

But I think Teslas OTA updates, application are something Audi should strive for and I really improve on.

I could have added Teslas charging network, but firstly in Norway the general charging network has been excellent for years. Secondly most people charge at home and the range on most cars are now sufficient for that. Thirdly Tesla has now opened up charging for other vehicles on their stations, so it's just a matter of time before that's completely available.

·
Registered
2022 e-tron Sportback
183 Posts
I kept my Tesla Model Y Performance for 35 days before I sold it. Kind of a total POS :( I should have refused it on delivery day, but I needed a car. Misaligned panels, panel gaps and the trunk, frunk and one headlight was very poorly installed.

I will always give credit when due...the interior was flawless in terms of fit, finish, materials and ease of use.

But, due to part shortages, Tesla used some kind of "mickey mouse" system for the water pump for the HVAC. It was louder than my V8 G-Wagen and a stop it was louder than music or in car conversation. TONS of online complaints about this. This was the #1 reason I got rid of my Model Y. I did not feel like I owned an EV; it was that loud!

Also, the day I took delivery the steering wheel was very badly cocked to the right. I reported it on the app (you cannot call Tesla or their Service Depts :( and Tesla told me I did not report this in the first 100 miles of ownership. OMG....I had the car less than 2 days when I reported the terrible misalignment! I had to pay out of my pocket on day 3 of ownership to have my brand new car aligned! Gross.

The ride quality on anything less than glass smooth roads is horrific in the Model Y. It is almost jiggle your teeth filling loose rough! So firm, so bouncy and you will FEEL every road imperfection.

Selling the car and dealing with Tesla finance was also VERY challenging. I would down the road consider a Model S, but for now Tesla is a no go for me. I will say though their network of chargers is great, and real life range is quite good....260-300 miles per charge is what I would get!

·
Registered
174 Posts
As a very old (I learned to drive on a three on a tree) gearhead, I never thought I'd own an EV period. I have driven the Telsa Model S (other than it takes of fast it made me think it was worth maybe 20K since it is built like a Yugo, a EQS580 (nice place to be but ugly on the outside look like half a nut and those massive screens would have me driving it off a cliff in the first week. The Taycan Turbo S very fast handles well but too many screens and the menu's drove me nuts. The E-Tron GT is perfect because from what I see in print and video (I have never seen one in person) it appears to be like an ICE car which this old gearhead can accept. I will always prefer my ICE cars (just like I'd rather drive a gearshift 430 than a paddle shift F8 and I do), but I hope to add a few EV's to the list (the next cayman is supposed to be an EV) as time goes on. I am a dinosaur is many (I think music ended when Jerry died) ways and it took car # 493 to get me in an EV.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
As a very old (I learned to drive on a three on a tree) gearhead, I never thought I'd own an EV period. I have driven the Telsa Model S (other than it takes of fast it made me think it was worth maybe 20K since it is built like a Yugo, a EQS580 (nice place to be but ugly on the outside look like half a nut and those massive screens would have me driving it off a cliff in the first week. The Taycan Turbo S very fast handles well but too many screens and the menu's drove me nuts. The E-Tron GT is perfect because from what I see in print and video (I have never seen one in person) it appears to be like an ICE car which this old gearhead can accept. I will always prefer my ICE cars (just like I'd rather drive a gearshift 430 than a paddle shift F8 and I do), but I hope to add a few EV's to the list (the next cayman is supposed to be an EV) as time goes on. I am a dinosaur is many (I think music ended when Jerry died) ways and it took car # 493 to get me in an EV.
You might be pleased with how the etron handles regeneration, plus it might actually make you a believer in paddle shifters. Myself, I think Audi has finally found something useful for paddle shifters to do. The Tesla, which has a totally mechanical brake, handles all acceleration and deceleration by pressing and lifting on the throttle pedal (meaning you right foot is ALWAYS glued to the throttle pedal). That is pretty much how Tesla is designed to let you drive. Unlike Tesla, the Audi Etron allows the regen (slowing ability) to be transferred between the brake pedal and the throttle pedal. When you first start to press the brake pedal the car uses regen to slow you down. The mechanical brake engages ONLY when you do a full hard press on the brake pedal. The paddle shifters allow you to transfer a percentage of the regen between the brake and throttle pedal.

1) At the lowest paddle level, the car is in COAST mode: If you lift off the throttle pedal, the car literally rolls along like a big bicycle (or like a manual-transmission car with the clutch pedal floored and foot off the brake pedal).
2) The second level transfers about 20% regen to the throttle pedal. Now when you lift off the throttle, you feel the car start to slow, feeling very much like engine drag in an ICE vehicle.
3)The third level transfers about 60% of the regen, giving you sort of a Tesla-like "One Pedal Drive Lite". If you are on a local street--with speedbumps, frequent cross streets, and pedestrians--you can pretty much speed up and slow down by just pressing and lifting on the throttle pedal, with no need to frequently move to the brake pedal.

I use the paddle shifters to change the car to meet my need. On open highways and inclines, I'll use Coast mode (the most efficient way to move a car), often flicking between the other two levels to maintain speed, rather than moving to the brake pedal. On local streets I'll flick to the third level to use it as described above.

So, driving an etron is like driving a combo manual/automatic bicycle. The paddle shifters let you quickly shift to different driving styles.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've been following Tesla for a long time now. In 2009 (!) I almost pre-ordered the Model S until Stephen Davies @teslamotors.com emailed me to wire transfer a 30.000 euro deposit. I passed. In the following years it has always been a hit and miss affair, and although I like Tesla's inventiveness (focussing on simplicity, cost cutting and efficiency). I'm still put off by the dubious build quality and quality control, so you won't see me in a Tesla anytime soon.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts