Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am NOT knowledgeable about cars so please bare with me and help a girl out. I have an e-tron '21. I am looking for a portable charger in case I run out of juice on the road or even if the home charger stops working as this is my only car and unable to afford a back-up. I am looking for suggestions on a portable "jumper", please. Also, if anyone can then educate me where to "jump" this car. TIA.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just to clarify, are you looking for a portable charger to plug into the wall and charge or are you looking for a "power pack"/battery back up to carry with you?

If the former, I'd suggest getting something like the Juicebox installed at your home and then just keep the factory audi charger in the car as your backup. If the latter, there really isn't a good option there as you'd need a fairly significant battery system to be of any value, but you might consider looking to see if any of the services like sparkcharge.io are available in your local area as a just in case.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to clarify, are you looking for a portable charger to plug into the wall and charge or are you looking for a "power pack"/battery back up to carry with you?

If the former, I'd suggest getting something like the Juicebox installed at your home and then just keep the factory audi charger in the car as your backup. If the latter, there really isn't a good option there as you'd need a fairly significant battery system to be of any value, but you might consider looking to see if any of the services like sparkcharge.io are available in your local area as a just in case.
Thank you for your response. I actually installed an outlet for the Audi charger at home. I had purchased something like Juicebox only to send it back when the home charger was providing similar charge as the purchased one. As for what I am asking, yes, I am seeking something that is a power pack and can be stored in the vehicle.

·
Registered
132 Posts
when the home charger was providing similar charge as the purchased one.
This is to be expected. The hardwired chargers (a juicebox 48 vs a juicebox 40, for example) will pull a bit more power and charge a little faster, but if you're comparing an aftermarket charger than plugs in to the same outlet as the factory charger, you won't see much in the way of any difference.

A battery back up that you're looking for really isn't feasible. For example, a power station like this: https://www.goalzero.com/shop/porta.../goal-zero-yeti-1500x-portable-power-station/ that's $2k has enough battery capacity to give you about 4 miles of travel in an e-tron, assuming you could use 100% of the capacity.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There is a company that makes those types of emergency chargers available for road-side assistance services. But those are prohibitively expensive for the average person and somewhat bulky. I do not think there is a viable option as others have posted. You are probably better off watching your battery and planning your trips in advance if necessary. If you do get stranded with a dead battery, you can always call Audi. They are supposed to help you out up to 4 times in that case.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
808 Posts
There are smaller versions of it. I doubt you will find a non-gas powered unit with decent price and reasonable weight / size. Batteries will weigh a ton if you want any higher capacity. Not sure what the point of carrying extra load on daily basis is. I'd go with lower power gas driven generator even if it kind of defeats the whole purpose of EV in the first place.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There is no practical solution for portable emergency charging . A standby battery that could deliver meaningful range would be too large and heavy to tote around, and it would cost a lot. Toting around a small generator would also be very impractical. If you want a backup charger for home use get a wall mounted chargepoint, and keep the audi charger as a backup. What area are you driving in that there are no EV chargers nearby that you could use if you are in a pinch?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is no practical solution for portable emergency charging . A standby battery that could deliver meaningful range would be too large and heavy to tote around, and it would cost a lot. Toting around a small generator would also be very impractical. If you want a backup charger for home use get a wall mounted chargepoint, and keep the audi charger as a backup. What area are you driving in that there are no EV chargers nearby that you could use if you are in a pinch?
Thanks. I live north or Dallas/Ft. Worth and along the route I take, options are limited. I guess I wanted to have some peace of mind, just in case.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks. I live north or Dallas/Ft. Worth and along the route I take, options are limited. I guess I wanted to have some peace of mind, just in case.
Look on plugshare.com and see what chargers are around you. There are a lot more chargers out there than just electrify america. There will be plenty of hotels and auto dealers in the DFW area that have chargers on site that you could use as an emergency charger should you need it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Audi launch a portable emergency supply as an optional extra.

In certain markets customers can now buy an E-tron 55 and pretend it's a 50, this comes with a 24 kWh portable emergency supply.

:giggle:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts